Frozen Heart

Chapter 67

Gajeel named the little snow-cat Fubuki, as if the name would make her dangerous as a blizzard, and Jack could only laugh at the idea.

Yes, the feline was made from a good bit of magic, but she would definitely not be able to create a storm!

Levy, for one, absolutely adored Fubuki.

“She’s amazing!” The Script mage gushed, running her hand through the snow-fluffy pelt as Fubuki arched, flashing icicle-fangs as she yawned. “I’ve never seen anything like her! She’s so life-like!”

“That’s because she’s alive.” Jack admitted, crouched on her staff to peer over everyone’s heads as they crowded around Gajeel and his new pet. “I couldn’t make her smart as a human or…whatever Happy and Carla are, but she’s sentient enough.”

“That’s so cool!” Jet and Droy echoed, amazed despite themselves.

“Is this a Spirit thing, or a Jack thing?” Grey wondered, poking the cat’s ice-whiskered cheeks.

“Can’t it be both?” The winter-girl chirped, smiling.

Before Erza could crush the poor thing against her armor in a hug, or Cana figure out if a non-biological creature could get drunk, Gajeel scooped little Fubuki up and placed her back on his shoulders.

Rubbing against his neck with that ice-scraping purr, she settled with the sort of balanced ease expected of a cat, nose turned up in the air as her tail lashed, a flash of needle-like icicles revealing themselves beneath the downy fur.

“Cute?” Gajeel chuckled, pleased with her attitude. “Fubuki here could beat up Salamander’s cat easy!”

“No way!” Natsu growled, jumping to his friend’s defense. “Happy could wipe the floor with that snowball!”

“Oh yeah?” Gajeel retorted, towering over the other Dragon Slayer as Fubuki hissed like cracking ice, arching to reveal rows of sharp ice under the soft snow of her coat. “Wanna bet on that, Salamander?”

Despite the rapid litany of “No sir, no sir!” from Happy, Natsu grinned wickedly in response.

“Bring it on!”

Fubuki hissed, revealing rows of needle-sharp teeth, and Happy quaked, about to pass out at the thought-

“Honestly!”

The winged cat almost fainted in relief as Jack shoved her way between the two, glaring at both of them in turns.

“Both of you girls are pretty, so there’s no need to fight.”

Gently pushing the flabbergasted men apart, Jack smirked, mischievous.

“You know what would be even more fun?”

Natsu paled, about-facing in an attempt to escape before the winter-girl grabbed hold of his scarf, happily oblivious to his fright.

“Sledding!”

An hour-three hills, ten loop-de-loops, seven twists, two spirals and an extremely queasy Natsu-later, Gajeel completely agreed.