Frozen Heart

Chapter 69

The forest was quiet, a breeze weaving through the branches to make a gentle rustling sound overhead as dappled sunlight painted the grass in darker shades of green.

In awe of the scenery, Wendy turned her head every which way to take it all in as she followed Jack along a dirt path through the underbrush.

“Here we are.”

Stepping out into a clearing, Jack motioned for the younger girl to step up beside her, every line of her body relaxed in the soft sunlight.

“What are we doing out here?” Wendy questioned, scanning the open space between the trees with interest.

“Learning.” The winter guardian replied cryptically, landing in the center and causing a rough circle of frost to appear delicately over the grass. “Come here.”

Gaze finally settling on the white-haired half-Spirit, Wendy closed the distance and paused, uncertainly, a foot or so away.

“Wind is not just a weapon or a shield.” Jack started softly, leaning on her staff. “Wind is as alive as fire or earth or water, and just like them, it has a light and dark side.”

A gust twirled out from between the trees, and Wendy giggled as it tugged on her hair, bringing a smile to Jack’s face as snowflakes danced in her eyes.

“Wind can be gentle, helping the birds fly and spreading the pollen from flowers. But it can also be destructive, creating tornadoes and twisters.”

Crouching down, Jack pulled the wind in around her hand, showing the younger girl as a leaf floated over her palm before being ripped to shreds by a miniature tornado.

Wide-eyed, Wendy peered up into that soft blue gaze, absorbing every word as Jack watched the shredded pieces be blown away.

“Like Natsu, fire can be explosive and obvious, but it also brings light and warmth. Like Gajeel, iron is hard, defensive and sharp, but it can not be completely destroyed, only recreated into something stronger.”

Lifting her gaze, Jack smiled.

“You’re like the wind, as well. You’re gentle and supportive, but there’s a fierceness there, too.”

Flushing, Wendy ducked her head shyly, turning over this new information in her mind…

“What element are you, Jack?” She wondered, peeking through her bangs.

The winter guardian was silent for a moment, staring down at her gloved hand with sad, misty eyes.

“I am winter. I am cold and wild and harsh, the hailstorm and the blizzard…”

Her smile was soft and sad, but no less genuine for it, and the sight made something in Wendy‘s heart twist.

Jack

“But I’m also snowball fights and snowmen and sledding, and that’s enough.”

Ruffling the young mage’s hair, Jack rose to her full height, expression clearing like a storm being blown away.

“Enough of that! We need to get started on some spells!”

Heart full of words-words of comfort, of curiosity and sympathy, words of care-, Wendy felt them lodge in her throat and could only nod in response.

“Okay…”