Frozen Heart

Chapter 71

Staring up at the sky, Jack scowled, both hands gripping her staff tightly as she took in the clear blue expanse before her.

How could everything look so peaceful and yet feel so wrong?

As dark storm clouds rolled in, sheets of rain following in a squall, she did not move, gaze narrowing at the strange phenomenon overhead as the clouds twisted.

“Wind?”

A breeze wrapped around her neck, whispering like a song, and ice shards flashed in her eyes.

“So this is…?”

It felt like Nirvana activating, a horrible static under her skin that made every muscle clench tight and her heart squeeze like it was caught in a vice.

Shit.

Whipping around, oblivious to the water drenching her hair and freezing on her clothes, Jack shot into the sky towards the growing whirlpool overhead.

A glow spread over the wood of her staff, brightening in every groove and notch as she reared back.

The moment she felt the disturbance tug on her magic-

Fairy Magic: Fairy Ring!”

The swing of her staff created a circle of light that surrounded the opening, almost blindingly bright.

The whirlpool contracted for a moment against this unexpected barrier, and her jaw clenched as she fed more magic in to keep the spell activated.

The larger spell shoved against it, and Jack pushed back, eyes narrowed against the sharp sting of rain.

Can’t…let it open

The ring pulsed, wavering at the edges as time wore on her concentration, being pushed wider and wider-

Forcing the Anima back with another pulse of magic, teeth gritted, Jack growled in frustration.

I can’t allow this Anima to fully activate! If it does…

If it does, everyone in Magnolia is doomed!


Fairy Magic: Fairy Dome!”

A shimmering dome closed over the opening Anima, and the rainstorm worsened as lightning flashed deep in the clouds with rumbles like disgruntled giants.

If she could just hold it back, maybe

Cursing as the Anima only grew stronger, bending her spells outward with the strain, Jack closed her eyes and held firm.

Hurry up…Mystogan

A crack splintered the air like magic thunder, the Fairy spells shattering like glass.

Jack screamed as she was pulled up into the sky.