Frozen Heart

Chapter 73

Yeah, this is awkward

The Workshop was filled to bursting with activity, toys whizzing by overhead and elves scampering underfoot as great hairy yeti shuffled around making toys on every level surrounding the massive twenty-story globe that rotated in the center of the main building.

Jack would have appreciated the sight more if five people weren’t staring at her.

“Let me get this straight.” The anthropomorphic rabbit voiced, his rough accent almost lending an angry edge to his tone. “Yer from a parallel world called Earthland, an’ this Anima the humans made sucked a city up ta make a giant lacrima made ‘a people?”

“Pretty much.” She agreed, watching all of their faces warily. “I managed to use a spell in time to keep from getting sucked in too, but I need to find the lacrima and figure out how to turn everyone back.”

The five shared a glance, and the burly Russian man stroked his long white beard in a contemplative manner.

“I have heard of this other world, one with much magic…” He admitted, studying the white-haired being swallowed in one of his armchairs, the blue-and-purple-eyed mini-fairy perched on her shoulder. “And looks like our Jack, da?”

“Yeah, she does.” Tooth agreed, wings buzzing like a bees as she hovered over everyone’s heads to comfort her helpers, letting out a wistful sigh. “She has teeth like freshly fallen snow, too…”

“Um…”

“Eh, she’s too cute ta be Frostbite’s.” Bunny teased, smirking at the glare their Jack sent his way.

Sandy sent up an array of symbols, going from a snowflake to a bouquet of flowers and ending in a thumbs-up he copied with both hands, smile strangely sly as she flushed frost and stuttered out a denial.

“N-No, I’ve never had a-I mean, no one’s ever asked-I don’t really want-”

A hand clapped down between her shoulder-blades, nearly dislodging the fairy and Jack from her seat as North smiled, amused.

“So our goals are the same, little one!” He boomed, cutting through Tooth’s conspiratorial chatter and the argument between Bunny and Jack like one of his sabers.

“Really?” Jack replied, blinking in surprise.

“Yeah…” Bunny agreed, ears going low.

“Our enemy is taking advantage of the human’s king and the Exceeds to gain power.” Tooth explained, eyes sad as she hovered just over the floor. “That’s why…”

“Is very dangerous.” North warned, expression serious instead of jovial. “Will stop at nothing to keep you and friends from stopping kingdom, and is very strong now.”

“Who?” The winter-girl wondered, mind rolling down a dark path she prayed was wrong.

Looking to Jack Frost, her heart dropped like a stone at the grim resolve in those matching blue eyes as he confirmed her fears.

“Pitch Black.”