Frozen Heart

Chapter 75

“It’s alright, girls.” Tooth comforted her mini-fairies, smoothing down their feathers and cooing like a mother bird. “But we need to keep gathering the teeth, okay? North’s yeti will protect you, and you’ll drop the teeth off here.”

Hesitantly, the little helpers chirped their agreement, grouping around the yeti assigned to them as Tooth reminded them that the teeth were organized by country and then alphabetically, rambling through her nerves.

Jack smiled as she watched the scene, like a mother seeing her children off on their first day of school, spinning her staff lazily in one hand.

A flash of color in her peripheral pulled to winter-girl’s attention away, and she blinked at the little fairy, confused.

“Aren’t you going with them?” She wondered, halting the spin of her staff so the mini-fairy could land on the end.

Nope!” She chirped, smiling. “I’m staying with you!

“But…”

The fairy shook her head, lone gold feather curling into her mix-matched eyes.

I want to help you! Please?

Damn, but she just could not seem to say no to those puppy-dog eyes

“Alright, alright!” Jack relented with a laugh, covering her eyes. “Just put those away, Baby Tooth!”

…Baby Tooth?

Peeking through her fingers, Jack dropped her hand at the surprised expression on the newly-dubbed Baby Tooth’s face.

“Well, I can’t just go around saying ‘hey, you’ every time I want to talk with you.” She explained, a spark of worry in her snowflake-dotted eyes. “Unless you don’t like it…”

A bundle of green and gold feathers barreled into her chest, her hands coming up to cup the warm tiny body as she buried herself in the fabric between Jack’s breasts.

Thank you! Thank you thank you thank you!” Baby Tooth cried, teary-eyed. “No one…No one’s ever tried to give any of us a name!

“You have a name now.” Jack assured, gently petting down the feathers on her back. “So don’t cry, okay? I don’t even know what to do when I start crying…”

Sniffling softly, Baby Tooth nodded, the biggest grin on her face despite the tears.

Jack could not help but smile back, until-

Jack Frost!

Stiffening as her magic reacted to the shout, the winter-girl whipped around, pupils trembling as she seemed to look past the Workshop and deep into Edolas.

Wendy.”