Frozen Heart

Chapter 78

Hovering over the rooftops, Jack studied the shadows as she passed, eyes flickering.

Finding nothing, she shared a look with Sandy, shrugging.

The dream-weaver gave a silent sigh, shaking his head.

It had been North’s idea to actively look for the Boogieman’s lair, and so they had split into pairs to cover more ground.

Jack had insisted on staying in the royal city to search, strangely anxious at the thought of leaving, and Sandy volunteered to stay with her as the others left to scour the continent from both land and sky, trading assurances.

Judging by the clear sky, and the lack of any visible dreary openings, none of them were having any luck.

“You think he’s around here?” Jack wondered, crouching on the roof’s edge as Sandy floated over to her side, Baby Tooth flitting overhead.

The fallen star nodded, a flurry of shapes taking form, and her eyes narrowed as a snowflake and the symbol for female were briefly visible.

“Wait, what do I have to do with it?”

He gave her a deadpan look, as if she should already know, and Jack pouted.

Sandy…”

Rolling his eyes in a fond sort of way, he created symbols more slowly, like a man explaining things to a small child.

A snowflake, the hourglass figure of a pretty woman, a pair of eyes in the emptiness, a pair of clawed hands reaching out

Blue eyes widened in realization, mortified.

“Why would he even-? That’s not-I can’t even-What the hell makes you think that?!”

The dream-weaver gave her a sly look, a recreation of Jack appearing in response, hips tilting and fingers playing coyly with long hair.

Flushing frost at the image, Jack shook her head in denial.

“I didn’t do any of that!”

Sandy shrugged, as if that hardly mattered and all men thought that way, and the winter-girl scowled.

“It doesn’t matter, anyway.” She insisted. “I wouldn’t do anything but punch his teeth in if I got close enough.”

Sandy smiled in response, almost proud, as Baby Tooth landed over her ear with a rush of agreeing twitters, fierce for such a small being.

It was moments like this that the dream-weaver could really see Jack Frost in those snowflake-dotted eyes.