Frozen Heart

Chapter 82

In the rush to get to the Warren, Jack slipped away to straighten out her clothes.

Frost still clinging to her cheeks as Gajeel’s scent-metallic and musky and earthy, like freshly-crafted iron and nature and Gajeel-filled her nose, the winter-girl carefully slipped it off her shoulders in order to remove the remnants of her shirt.

With the once-white cloth safely disposed of, she dug around a bit before finding appropriate bindings, replacing the torn ones over her chest and covering her arms as well.

It was really nice of him to give you his coat.” Baby Tooth noted, watching as Jack pulled it on and did the buttons with ease.

True, it looked more like a dress on Jack than a coat, but the coat was not unflattering for all that.

“Yeah.” Jack agreed, rubbing away some of the frost forming on her nose. “Better than Pitch showing up and getting a free show, at least.”

The mini-fairy zipped up to hover in front of her face, head tilting in curiosity.

Do you like him?

Sputtering, wide-eyed, Jack backed up a few hasty steps, hands raised in the air as if to ward the fairy off.

“Wh-Whoa there! Where’d that come from?!”

You were very happy to see him.” Baby Tooth explained, arms crossed. “Happier than the others. And he sounded more upset than the others about Pitch, and leapt through the fallout of your magic to catch you. And he stayed with you while you slept, and gave you his coat, and-

“Alright, alright!” Jack cut in, arms flailing. “So we’re close! Th-That doesn’t mean anything!”

The mini-fairy gave her a look, and Jack went quiet, frost spreading down her neck.

“Baby Tooth…”

It’s none of my business.” She continued, feathers ruffling. “But it seems silly to me, denying how much you obviously love him, when he feels the same. And I’m sure this Levy is in the same boat, too.

“Oh God, I’m getting the Talk from a mini-fairy…” Jack muttered, hiding her frosting face with both hands.

Rolling her mix-matched eyes, Baby Tooth perched in the winter-girl’s hair, patting consolingly.

I’m just saying…Mother always says love is the most beautiful thing in the world, no matter what shape it comes in.

After a moment, Jack nodded, smile sad as she rubbed the frost away.

“You’re mom’s really smart…” She admitted, playing with her gloves.

Baby Tooth nodded, smiling.

You’re really smart, too.

The half-Spirit laughed, heading for the door with a wry tilt to her smile.

“Sometimes, I wonder…”