Frozen Heart

Chapter 86

Pitch staggered across the clearing, bitter thoughts whispering in his ears like poison.

You should have won…

You deserve to rule this world…

You deserve her


Already he could feel the tide shifting, fear fading as Belief in the Guardians grew, and it worsened his temper.

At least the ensuing battle had camouflaged his escape, and Pitch gladly took the opportunity to start planning a counterattack.

Surely those little pests haven’t removed all the tooth boxes…

If I could somehow corrupt those memories, spread the damage
-

“Hello, Pitch.”

The Boogieman jerked back, wide-eyed.

Jack hovered a few feet in front of him, arms crossed and eyebrow raised, not the least bit amused.

“Where do you think you’re going?”

He bristled as the Guardians surrounded them, like a wounded, cornered animal.

“Leaving party so soon?” North agreed, spinning both sabers with ease.

“You think you’ve won? Think you’ve bested me?” Pitch sneered, glaring at each of them in turn. “I am fear incarnate! The humans will bring me back sooner than you think! Their army is attacking as we speak!”

“Oh, you don’t have to worry.” Jack voiced, nodding her head to the tree line behind him. “I’ve taken care of them.”

Turning the slightest bit, Pitch almost choked in surprise.

The massive Legions were sprawled amid the shattered trunks, unresponsive as boulders, surrounded by their fallen riders, only the occasional groan signaling they were still alive underneath the ice and snow.

“I’ve had a lot of practice fighting mage armies.” The winter-girl explained calmly, the fractal patterns in her eyes flashing white. “They were easy.”

Burning with rage, the Nightmare King whipped back around.

“It doesn’t matter! You can’t kill fear!”

“Maybe not.” She agreed coolly, cracking covered knuckles. “But that doesn’t mean I can’t beat the hell out of it.”

“Is that so?” Pitch challenged. “Have you already forgotten? You gave your word!”

Tooth gasped, covering her mouth as the mini-fairies chattered worriedly, and Bunny paused in braining the shade with a boomerang as Jack Frost landed heavily on the grass, wide-eyed.

Jack hardly blinked.

“That’s a binding contract among Edolas Spirits.” She noted, pinning the Boogieman with an icy stare. “A contract that, when broken, causes quite a bit of trouble for the perpetrator.”

A smirk took shape, savage and mischievous.

But I’m not an Edolas Spirit.”

Whatever confidence Pitch had regained evaporated as she approached, hands already balled into fists.

“So guess what? I lied.”