Memory of You

Chapter Thirteen: Finished

Chapter Thirteen: Finished

"Alex..."

Walking in to the room, the girl felt guilty for having behaved so rudely.

"Finally decided to speak to me?" Alexandra came into view, Sophia could feel herself shrink under the Queen's gaze. They might have been friends and the same age, yet at times there was a certain regal strength that exuded from Alexandra, which scared her. It's probably why she's Queen, the girl thought as she came to stand in front of the young ruler. Alexandra was sitting behind her father's desk surrounded by files and books.

"Look...I'm sorry...okay?" Sophia struggled with the words. She hated when the others were right, and apologies were her least favorite thing to do.

"Why? What happened?"

Cringing inwardly, Sophia looked down at the carpet. It was just like Alexandra to read between the lines.

"You'll be happy to hear that Samuel broke up with me."

"Why on earth would that make me happy, Sophie?" Alexandra glared at her.

Why did I say that? Sophia wondered. There were times she just wanted to get a rise out of Alexandra, admittedly the wrong times.

"You wanted us to split up, so it happened. He told me that given the choice; his career and working with Mark and Valek was more important than being with me." Sophia told her, the words still stung. "But you already knew that, didn't you?"

"Yes...Valek told me this morning." Alexandra admitted, looking sad. "Sorry, Soph."

"No, I should have listened." Sophia finally said, knowing that her friends had been right to try and stop her. "And...I really am sorry about saying those things...I didn't mean to."

"It's okay...I know."

Before Sophia could say anything else, a knock sounded on the door. Turning to see who it was, Sophia saw Mark and Valek standing in the doorway. There were times she was envious of her friend's relationship with the two. Both were gorgeous in their own right, but Sophia knew they only had eyes for Alexandra. Remembering their oath and how Alexandra had reacted to their taking it, Sophia was aware that Alexandra did not take the two lightly. They were closer to the young ruler than Sophia, especially these days.

"Soph, how are you?" They nodded a greeting to her, looking solemn.

"I'm alright." She answered, not knowing what else to say.

"We're going to have to borrow Alex for a while, hope you don't mind..." Mark said, as Valek motioned for Alexandra to follow them.

"Not at all." It's not like I can stop either of you, she thought.

"I'll see you after dinner, then?" Alexandra asked, sounding hopeful. "We can catch up?"

"Yes, of course."

...

Sitting at the head of the table, Alexandra looked around the room. Only five seats were empty, and she knew exactly who they were. With Valek and Mark standing behind her, she felt ready to take care of this last problem.

"As you all know, I have called this meeting with the House of Lords to discuss some issues." She started off, before noticing a hand in the corner go up.

"Yes, Lord Crawley? What is it?"

"Your Majesty, with all due respect, shouldn't all the lords be present? We have five missing." The man asked.

Inwardly sighing, Alexandra nodded her head. If you hadn't interrupted I would have told you, she thought.

"Thank you for your concern, Lord Crawley, but I was just about to get to that." She said, curtly. "Now, as I was saying. The issues we are here to discuss, involves the absences of the lords today."

All was quiet around the room. Not one person looked away from her. Taking a deep breath, she carried on.

"After noting several financial discrepancies, and ordering a thorough review, I have decided to make some changes." She said, pausing to look at each one of them. "Effective immediately, those not present today, will be losing their positions. In the meantime, I will look for suitable replacements; until then the Dukes of those provinces will oversee those duties in the affected districts."

"I want to make clear that any abuse of this country's resources will not go unpunished." Alexandra gave them a stern look.

"Majesty? Have the lords in question been told of this?"

Sighing, she knew it had been an inevitable question.

"No, I will be informing them later today."

...

"Nick! Did you get your marching orders?"

Looking up from where he had been going through recipes, Nicholas saw Valek walk in to the kitchen.

"Yes, Alex told me about the dinner tonight." It was why he was going through recipes in the first place. "Why didn't she just give him an hour's appointment like the others? Do we really need to see him here for dinner again?"

The revelations about his sister made it hard for him to even consider seeing the person responsible for dinner. Alexandra had told him that she expected him to be present in his capacity as advisor, and the no-nonsense look on her face told him it was pointless to try and get out of it.

"She's only doing it out of common courtesy...Think about it, we're almost done with him." Valek grinned, but Nicholas' frown became more pronounced.

"Do I really need to be there?" He asked, hoping to get out of the confrontation. Since learning about his sister's indiscretion, he was unsure how he would deal with David.

"I don't think Alex will let you skip this one out, Nick."

"Valek...I want him dead." Nicholas admitted. He was usually the most calm from the three of them, but the thought of David being in the same building as his sister or Alexandra gave him a burning desire to beat him.

"Does Alex know?" Valek asked, surprised at his reaction.

"No..."

"Well then, I know it's going to be hard; but you can't kill him..." The guard said, turning to leave. "Unless he does something stupid..."

Valek always knew how to lighten the mood, even if it didn't make Nicholas completely forget his grief with David, a small smile formed.

"See you at dinner, Nick."

...

Sitting down at the table, for the first time Alexandra would be sitting level with David. The staff had set up a table in the center of the dining hall. Taking a seat at one end, Alexandra watched as Mark came to stand at the side closest to her.

The doors opened, in walked Valek with David following.

"To what do I owe this pleasure to, Alex?" He asked, being led to their table.

"You'll find out soon enough." She told him, with a small smile.

No sooner had the unsuspecting lord been seated with Valek keeping an eye behind him, Nicholas walked in. Unable to take her eyes off of him, she noticed that he had changed out of his chef's jacket; instead he was wearing a uniform she had previously seen on only one other person.

"Good evening, Nicholas." She heard David say.

"David." Nicholas nodded, but Alexandra had heard his cutting tone.

Noticing her gaze on him, his expression softened, and he gave her a quick smile.

"My father sent it when Sophia told him about my new job." He said, low enough for only her to hear, as he took a seat to her right. For the first time that day, she smiled, momentarily forgetting the the task at hand. There were times she still missed his parents; they had been almost like her own.

"Well, Alex, what have you brought me here for?"

The voice brought her back to reality. Sitting down the table was David, looking at her intently for an explanation.

"Did you bring the papers I asked?"

"Yes." he replied.

"Mark, get them please."

Her guard walked over to take the sheets from David's hand and brought them over to her. Having seen a copy of the sheets before, her eyes quickly scanned down to the bottom. There in bright blue was a signature she hadn't seen in a long time, she touched it gently. Her father's signature. On the copy she had in the King's Quarters, the signature was in black.

"Why did you ask for me to come, Alex? And why did you need my Lordship papers?" He asked her again.

"I called you here to discuss some of the issues in your district, David." She told him, trying to keep the nerves out of her voice.

Having already dismissed four other lords before him, she had thought that by this point it would be easier to face him. Wrong! She thought. This was still nerve-racking for her.

"What issues? I thought none of my proposals had been accepted?"

"I didn't bring you here to discuss the proposals again. There were some financial irregularities found when your district was reviewed, David." She told him, in a straight forward manner. At once David's eyes narrowed.

"What do you mean, Alex?"

"The money allocated for Canterbury & Rosslyn was not spent on developing the resources of the area, improving education, or helping people in need of assistance." She told him, bluntly. "In fact, looking at records, it seems the money disappeared."

"I see...what are you accusing me of?" He asked, no longer pretending to be friendly.

"I'm not accusing you of anything, David." She motioned for Mark to give her the files he had been keeping from view.

"These records indicate that the money given to your district was spent on companies based in Saarsgard." She said, lifting up the papers. "While these files give the anonymous honest opinions of those living in the area, and what they think of your work there and what needs to be improved."

"You got a few people to lie about me and forge financial documents, is that it? Are you seriously telling me you believe that?" He asked, his voice raising.

From the corner of her eyes she saw Nicholas tense up, a flash of anger crossing his face.

"It's not a few people, David. These are anonymous accounts of how you haven't done anything in the district. And the money is something I've been keeping an eye on, for a long time. Every bill you've received has been tracked over the years." She admitted, it didn't matter anymore. She was tired of having to act as though she knew nothing of what he did with the resources of her country. "Did you really think I wouldn't heed my father's words?"

"What are you saying? You know he poisoned everyone against me." David looked furious.

"My father wasn't stupid, David. I was, and I'm glad I listened to him in the end. Did you really think you could get away with not telling me you were already married when you were about to ask me to marry you?" She asked, feeling some of the weight on her heart lessen. Finally, Alexandra was getting the chance to put it all out in the open. She was tired of holding back.

"So this is why you brought me here? To get revenge for us not getting married?"

"Not at all. I'm glad it never happened. I would never want a man who could fool another woman into marrying him while his own wife was about to have his child." Alexandra told him, icily. Looking momentarily shocked, David recovered quickly.

"You found out about her...did you know we named her Rachel Alexandra Grimaldi, after you?" He smirked.

"No. But I do know you used the money I loaned you to open up a trust fund for her and buy your family a house." She told him, disregarding his attempt to get under her skin. "Did you really think I would just let you take Seraphine from me?"

"A stupid lovestruck girl like you? I would have had you wrapped around my fingers if it wasn't for that meddling father of yours." David retorted, his voice giving way to his anger.

"It's over David. Your lordship of Canterbury & Rosslyn has been revoked. You will pay back the money you funneled to Saarsgard, as well as the money that I loaned you." She told him, her voice firm and clear. She was not going to let him abuse her country any longer. "I've already told the King of Saarsgard about this. Furthermore, it's been decided that you will no longer be allowed to travel through Seraphine freely. You may visit the country for ten days every year. But you will have to notify the castle before coming, as well as provide an itinerary of where you will be going."

With that she ripped the original documents he had given her. He was no longer welcome here, and for once she felt better.

"That's it? After everything I've done for you, this is how you repay me? By kicking me out of the country?" David shouted at her, getting up from his chair.

Valek and Mark started to move in, watching him like hawks, but Alexandra didn't flinch. By this time, even Nicholas had gotten out of his seat. He stood between David and herself, as the former lord moved closer. Mark stood behind her, ready to move her out of the way without a moments notice.

"Don't delude yourself, David. You did nothing but bring me pain. You weren't even honest with me." She said getting up herself, not backing down.

"You stupid, stupid, girl. I should have gotten rid of you when I had the chance." He took a step in her direction, but Nicholas shielded her as Valek placed an arm on him.

"Don't even think about moving any closer." The sharpness of Valek's voice cut through the tension, like a knife, but it didn't stop David from talking.

"You will never be able to rule this country. When you least expect it, I or others like me, will take it right from under you. You stupid little tramp."

Before Valek, Mark, or Alexandra could react; a deafening crunch sounded as Nicholas' fist connected with David's face.

"Don't you dare talk to her that way." Alexandra watched in shock as Nicholas snarled at David.

Instead of cowering, David smirked. Blood was starting to flow from the cut in his lip.

"That felt personal. I was wondering when you'd find out. Sophia finally told you." He said, as though relishing the memory. "She was such a charmer, I just couldn't keep myself from deflowering her."

Instead of replying, Nicholas swung at him again. His fist connecting with David's nose. Blood poured, as another crunch sounded, making his appearance more grisly. Horrified, Alexandra spurred in to motion, albeit rather late.

"That was for my sister."

Mark moved to stop Nicholas as Valek tried to pull David out of the way, but Alexandra was closer and moved before either of them could. Before he could reel his arm back so that his fist could connect with David's jaw once more, she wrapped her arms around Nicholas; her face pressing in to Nicholas' back as she held on to him. She knew she wasn't strong enough to stop him, yet there was nothing else she could think of. He was breathing hard, fury radiated off of him.

"Nick...stop. Please." He didn't struggle out of her grip.

"Let's go." She heard Valek say, most likely shoving David out of the room.

"This isn't over, Alex." David's voice rang in the dining hall.

Not letting go of Nicholas, she continued to hold on to him. His heavy breathing started to slow down, as the doors closed.

"I'm finally free of him." She mumbled into his back, for once feeling as though the weight of the world had been lifted off of her shoulders. "I'm free."