Memory of You

Chapter Three: The Game of Revenge

Chapter Three: The Game of Revenge

"You broke my favorite mug?!"

Grimacing in his mind, Nicholas didn't know what to do as he held on to the shattered remains of her mug. How had it gone from him thinking why was she so timid around him when they already knew each other, to why couldn't she stay shy in thirty seconds?

Behind her, his friends shot him an amused look. I'm dead, he thought. He remembered seeing Alexandra drinking from the mug several times over the course of the week, but it had never occurred to him that she liked it so much. I broke the Queen's mug and now she's going to kill me...Focus, Nick! He needed to explain to Alexandra what had happened.

"Sorry...I ordered new mugs and plates to replace the old cracked and chipped ones. I didn't know it was your favorite." He said, hoping she wouldn't hold a grudge, or make a big deal out of it. "I didn't want them hurting someone."

"But that was mine! It had my name on it...you didn't even ask me!" She told him, looking more upset than angry.

"I did get you a new mug for tea." He told her, rushing to get out a large clear mug, with a bag of colorful rings for the rim from the cupboard.

"You can't replace my mug." Alexandra told him, the tone of her voice reminded him of when they were little. 'You can't tell me what to do!' She would say to Valek or Mark when they would be playing around the grounds.

"It's just a mug, Alex." Valek told her, as he sat down at the table.

"It's not!" She argued.

"Okay...who gave it to you?" Valek asked before Nicholas could, the guard sounded like he was implying something.

"No one, Valek! I got it myself." She said, angrily.

"Why is it your favorite?" Nicholas found himself asking, only to be caught in her glare.

"It's my favorite because...I bought it when I snuck out of the castle for the first time..." She told them, staring at the ground.

"That's it?" Valek asked sounding incredulous.

"No...it was the first time after...after I became Queen." She told them, looking miserable. They all became quiet, a solemn look crossed Mark and Valek's faces.

Feeling bad about ruining something that had obviously meant a lot to her, Nicholas handed her the new mug.

"I'm sorry...I didn't know about that." He told her earnestly.

"How could you? You weren't here..." Alexandra gave him a look as she sat down, telling him he wasn't forgiven. She took the mug and rings from him without another word.

Leaving to grab the platter of freshly baked pastries on the counter, he stopped to take off his coat, revealing the black shirt he had on underneath.

"Wasn't that the time you and I left Sophie to cover for you at the meeting of the Lower House?" Mark reminisced, patting Nicholas on the shoulder, as he took a pastry before Nicholas had reached the table.

"Yes...they didn't even realize it wasn't me." Nicholas saw the smile on Alexandra's face as she remembered.

"You went along with her?" Nicholas asked Mark.

"Yes, I did." Mark answered, "Valek is too well known for those kinds of trips!"

Putting the plate in front of her, Nicholas waited with bated breath, but the young queen said nothing as she took a chocolaty pastry.

Sitting down beside Valek, he noticed someone was missing.

"So...Where is my sister, anyway?" Nicholas asked.

"She's running late, she asked Alex to sleep in since Alex is scheduled to have an audience with the town of Ives next." Mark told him, taking the open seat beside the young ruler.

"Lucky girl..." The chef heard the Queen mutter.

As they finished eating Mark and Valek left to make one last security check of the Throne Room, leaving Alexandra in Nicholas' care.

"You're one of us." Valek had told him, before leaving. "Always remember that."

While Mark had whispered.

"Don't worry...she won't kill you...yet..."

Comforting, he thought.

Getting out the flour to start prepping for the other two meals, Nicholas glanced at the table, where Alexandra sat. From her looks, she had grown up a little bit. Gone was the face of a carefree princess, leaving behind a young Queen who looked as though there were too many burdens thrust upon her too soon. Any other person would have looked old, haggard, weary under the same pressure, but Alexandra looked beautiful, just a little bit more mature.

Still, her eyes had managed to retain the spark he was used to seeing when they were younger. The green flecks bringing out her light brown eyes. He still didn't understand why she had been so awkward with him over the last few days?

Returning to the task at hand, he didn't notice Alexandra walk up to him.

"What are you making?" Her quiet voice startled him.

"Chicken pot pie for your lunch." He told her, quite aware of how close she was to him.

"Sounds delicious."

There was a silent pause, as he continued with his work.

"Nicholas?"

"Yes, Highness."

"You need to stop calling me that." She told him, a small smile on her face.

"I'm sorry..."

"It's okay...and don't worry about the mug...it was old anyway..."

"Sorry about that..." He said, genuinely apologetic.

Again silence settled over them.

"Alex! Come on, we checked out the room. It's safe." Mark's voice called from outside.

"I'm coming." Alexandra answered.

"Umm...Nick?" She said, turning to him.

"Yes?"

"I'm glad you came back." She said, resting a hand on his cheek. "It's nice to have you around again."

Not waiting for him to reply, she left Nicholas standing there unsure of what had happened.

Dazed, he started to roll out the dough again, it couldn't have been more than fifteen minutes when the door of the kitchen opened and closed, several footsteps sounded around the room. Turning to see who had come, Nicholas found some of his cooks starting to get their pots and pans while he spotted his sous chef putting on his jacket and getting a few plates. He carried on working, setting the dough into a pie plate, before turning to see the others watching him.

"Alright there, Head Chef, sir?" The new arrival asked, while the others all looked at him concerned. Glancing at his reflection in the metal of the refrigerator, Nicholas saw what they were staring at.

"Yes...I'm fine..."

...

Why did I do it? She wondered walking down the hall towards her room. Out of all the things she had done, she usually never pulled anything like that...It was a childish thing to do...urgh, but he broke my mug! She thought trying to justify her actions, And he makes me nervous!

All through lunch and dinner, he hadn't said anything about it. Giving her a polite smile, Nicholas had set her meals and not mentioned a word.

Upon entering her room, she saw the lights were already on. What's going on? She wondered, thinking Mark or Valek must have been around.

Crossing to go to the adjoining bathroom, Alexandra stopped when she saw a figure stand up from her bed. Why hadn't she noticed she wasn't alone?

"What are you doing here?" She asked, annoyed.

"Well, Highness...Alex...Mark and Valek were showing me the castle, so I thought I'd see what had changed." Nicholas smiled at her. "I was lucky that I got my old room to stay in!"

Dressed in a collared black shirt and pants, he had blended in to the shadows.

"Uh huh...so why are you in my room?"

"Well, I didn't think you would be here. I was actually surprised that you kept this place. I thought you would have taken the King's quarters upstairs."

"I couldn't move...besides, I have plenty of space in my room. I just keep all the documents and business type things up there." She said, still suspicious. "Why are you really here?"

"Well, after that nice present you left me with this morning, I thought I'd drop by to make amends, since I know how much you love chocolate, I brought you the remaining chocolate pastries." He walked up to her, showing her the basket in one hand.

As he stepped closer, Alexandra became aware of her heart pounding loudly. Taking a step back for each step he drew closer, she noticed how the space between them was quickly diminishing.

Backed up against the wall, she looked up at him, Nicholas' steely grey eyes were watching her closely, an amused look over his face. He still looked as handsome as he had when they were younger. Shut up! She scolded her mind.

"I have to say, it was quite clever to make a flour hand print on my face. I didn't even notice it until my staff started looking worried about me." He told her.

"Well, you did break my mug." She countered, hoping to sound normal.

"And here is my penance for that crime." He placed the basket in her hands.

"Is that all?" She gulped, her heart racing. It had been a while since anyone had gotten that close to her, other than her guards; and for some reason Nicholas had managed to jump start her heart without her permission and she didn't know if she liked that or not.

When he didn't answer, she felt his hand brush the loose hair from her face.

"Nicholas?" Was all that she could manage. She wanted to ask what he was doing, but her words were starting to jumble up.

His fingertips traced her collarbone, running up to gently cup her face.

"It's been a while since I last saw you." He told her. "I'm glad you didn't change much from when we were kids."

It was silent between them. His fingers traced her lips, and she found herself leaning in to his touch.

"Alex?"

"Hmm?" She asked, as he leaned in closer to her.

Their lips about to meet, Alexandra could care less what he was about to tell her. Even David couldn't ruin this moment.

When she thought their lips would touch, his head move to her side.

"Thanks for the job, Lex. And for keeping Soph out of trouble." He whispered in her ear, calling Alexandra by his childhood nickname for her. "Goodnight, Highness."

With that she watched, stunned, as he walked away from her, closing the door of her room behind him.

"What the hell was that about?" She muttered out loud after a few moments passed, blowing out an explosive breath.

Putting the basket of pastries on her bed, she walked over to the bathroom.

Looking at herself in the mirror, Alexandra did a double take.

"Alex! Tell me you're ready for bed!" She heard Mark call out.

Staring at her own reflection, Alexandra couldn't believe she had fallen for it.

"That's it! I'm going to kill him!"