Memory of You

Chapter Six: Memories

Chapter Six: Memories

"Please don't leave me here alone..." He looked down to see her upset. Her slurring had stopped, but she didn't look any more sober than she had at dinner.

"Highness, you need to sleep off the Goswein." He told her, only to see a hurt expression on her face. "Besides I have to change out of my wet shirt."

"Just take it off, I don't care."

"Really, Highness?" He asked, taken aback.

"Why do you keep calling me 'Highness'? It sounds so cold and unfamiliar. I thought we were friends?" She demanded. "Am I that bad of a Queen that you need to distance yourself from me?"

"No it's not like that." Nicholas answered, he had not known it hurt her to be called so formally. Leave it to a drunken Lex to hound me over such a thing, he thought.

"Then what? What is it like?" Clearly, the Goswein had made Alexandra a little bit more emotional.

"I didn't want anyone to assume I had used connections to get the job."

"So calling me Alex or Lex like you used to would imply that I gave you the job just like that?"

"That's not...Lex...please just get to bed." Nicholas was at a loss to try and explain his reasoning to her.

"See, now was that so hard?" She asked him, eyes narrowed.

"I'm sorry...I didn't mean to sound unfriendly." He told her, honestly.

When she didn't say anything, Nicholas went and got her night gown. Handing her the black garment, he led her to the bathroom.

"You need to change. Then you can sleep."

"I don't want to sleep. You'll just leave me here alone." She said sounding upset. "Just like you did last time."

"What?" Shocked, Nicholas looked over at her, the sorrow on Alexandra's face drew him in.

"Remember? You told me we would always be friends and that you'd be there for me, and then you left for Airidia."

He could almost picture it in his mind. They had been teenagers, and Alexandra's coronation was coming up. He had left to see other sights in the world, before heading to school.

"Are you just going to leave me alone then?" She asked him, when he didn't say anything.

"Why don't you want to be alone?" Nicholas asked, trying to change the subject. He had not thought that Alexandra's feelings were hurt when he left.

"He always gets under my skin...every time he visits." Alexandra said, looking miserable.

"Who? David?"

"Who else? And then I start thinking about how stupid I am to have let him into my life...and how I hurt my Dad...and I always make a mess of things."

"So why drink when he's here?" He decided to ask. The question had been bothering him since the dinner.

"I don't know!" She cried. "I just want him to leave me alone."

"Why don't you tell him that?"

"How? My words always get jumbled up when I try to tell him." Looking up at him, her eyes pleaded with his. He felt her hand hold on to his. "Please stay. I don't want to think about him."

"I won't leave." Nicholas knew he couldn't deny her. She may have been the Queen of his country, but Alexandra was still one of his friends, and this time he would keep his word. "I promise."

...

"So Chef Nicholas! Where have you been?"

Shoving away memories of the previous night, he stood frozen in front of the counter. Nicholas hoped he looked normal as he slowly turned around.

"What are you talking about? I've been cooking since morning." He said upon coming face to face with Mark and Valek.

"We went to see you last night, but Alex's room was dark and the door was closed, which told us she was out like a light; and yours was too. So we guessed you had gotten her into bed and had gone to bed yourself!" Mark told him, taking a bread roll off of one of the plates.

Deciding not to tell them what had happened, Nicholas nodded his head as Mark munched. He wasn't sure how they would take it, and from the looks of it, Alexandra seemed keen on keeping it quiet.

"She wasn't that hard to deal with. From what you told me, I thought I would end up chasing after her the whole night."

"You got lucky!" Valek told him, his choice of words making Nicholas nervous. "She's usually hell to deal with after David comes around."

"Is David going to be staying long?" Nicholas asked, happy for the opportunity to change the subject.

"He's going to leave in a few days...but not before he visits our dear Queen a few more times." Valek said, darkly.

"Another long set of nights in the making, I take it?"

"You know it. Too bad he didn't leave sooner." Mark muttered, viciously.

"Does she always get this way when he comes to visit?" Nicholas had yet to find out how Alexandra had even gotten the wine. He had stashed the bottle to search its origin later.

"By this way, you mean drunk? Yes...unfortunately she's done it several times." Mark informed him. "Good thing he doesn't stay in the castle. Now that would be a nightmare."

...

'The Drunk Spell may cause temporary loss of memory if the user has cast a strong spell. Unlike other spells this spell depends on-'

"There you are, Alex. I've been looking all over for you."

Annoyed at the interruption, Alexandra quickly shut the book she had been reading. I must have cast too strong of a spell last night, she thought, quickly pushing the book under a pile of papers and turning around. She had hoped to find a way to remember the events of the previous night.

Sophia stood in the doorway, looking at her with an inquisitive expression.

"Don't tell me. Secret Royal Family stuff?" She guessed correctly.

"Yes...something like it." Alexandra admitted. Use of magic by the Royal Family was well known in Seraphine, but none of its members chose to flaunt it.

"So how did your meeting go last night?" Her best friend asked.

A sour expression crossed Alexandra's face before she could stop it.

"That badly?"

"You have no idea. He probably thinks I've lost my mind." Alexandra told her.

"So why not stop playing the drunken Queen when he comes?" Sophia asked.

"Because then I will seriously lose my mind." The Queen retorted, causing Sophia to snicker.

A moment of silence settled over them.

"I really am sorry about...David..." Sophia told her, quietly; causing Alexandra to look away.

"We all make mistakes...I guess we just have to learn from them and move on." The young Queen said, after thinking it over for a moment. "Besides...we're past that, Sophie."

"Alright...well anyway...have you seen my brother? I wanted to talk to him last night, but I couldn't find him." Sophia changed the subject.

Trying to keep her expression from showing any emotion, Alexandra tried to play it cool. I wonder what she wants to talk to him about?

"I have no clue. I think he's in the kitchen." She said. "By the way...I haven't seen you around a lot lately."

"I decided to go into town and find some things before your Coronation Ball in a few weeks...I can't believe it's been three years already."

Looking down at the plush red carpeted floor, Alexandra let the words hit her. Standing in her father's old room, she still couldn't believe what had happened to put her there. The feeling of guilt still hadn't left.

...

"Alexandra, come out. We haven't got all day. You have to go through with the coronation."

Mark and Valek watched as the Queen Mother pleaded with her daughter who had locked herself in her room.

"Your Majesty, do you mind if we have try?" Valek asked, tentatively. The older woman looked at them, her face showing the strain of the last few months.

"Please. I'll be waiting in the Throne room. It's about to start in an hour." She told them, before leaving.

Knocking on the door, they waited, but nothing happened.

"Alex, will you please open the door." Mark tried.

"No! You're just trying to get me to come out." They heard her reply.

"Okay, we won't ask you to come out. How about you let us in?" Valek suggested.

There was no answer. The two guards silently waited. After a few minutes, the lock sounded, as the door opened.

"Fine…you can come in." Standing on the other side, dressed in her formal attire, Alexandra stood, looking upset.

She stood aside letting them come in, before closing and locking the door behind them.

Mark and Valek looked over at her, not knowing how to get her to the event.

"Why don't you want to go, Alex?" Mark asked her gently. "You've known that the coronation would be taking place, for a few weeks now."

"I just don't want to do this. I changed my mind." She told them, but both guards saw her hold on the stubborn demeanor weaken.

"Alright…what's going on? You've been quieter than usual." Valek noted.

"I just don't want to do it. Okay? Besides, then you two will have to say your oath again." She tried distracting them. "I don't want you to be embarrassed in front of everyone."

"Really? You're going to use our oath as an excuse?" Mark asked with disdain. "As sweet as that is…What's really bothering you? Talk to us, Lexie."

"I just…" She started, looking down at her feet, her voice unsteady. "I always thought that when this day would come…he would be here."

Tears were starting to fall down her face, as she sat down in the middle of her room.

"I thought my Dad would be here. He was supposed to be here." With that the two guards watched her resistance break. Sobbing, Alexandra covered her face with her hands, trying to stop. Mark sat down beside Alexandra, and put an arm around her.

"It's okay, Alex. Shhh…" He tried calming her down.

"I know it's hard, Alex." Valek started, as the sobs started to subside. "Your father would want you to be strong and get through this. You know he loved you, and how proud he was of you."

She whimpered, as Mark and Valek picked her up. Wiping her face with a wet handkerchief, Valek took hold of her hand.

"We're here for you, Lexie." He told her, firmly. "But right now, you need to go and fulfill your duty to your country. Just remember that your Dad is watching over you, and that he's proud of you."

Having finally gotten Alexandra to the Throne Room, Mark and Valek watched the ceremony from their positions, standing a few feet behind Alexandra as she repeated the Ruler's Oath.

"I, Alexandra of Astale, Seraphine, swear to give my life, time, wealth, and offspring; in order to fulfill my duty to my country. I promise to be fair and just, and uphold the law. I will always protect those in need, and will do my best to serve the people of this country."

...

"I have to go, Sophie." Alexandra said suddenly, as she snapped back to reality. "I'll see you at dinner."

"Yes, of course." Sophia agreed, walking out of the room.

Locking the door of her father's old room, Alexandra rushed down the stairs to her own room. Grabbing a dark hooded cloak, she left before any of her guards could stop her.

Stepping out into the chilly air, she breathed in deeply, before heading towards the graveyard. Sometimes she felt the walls of the castle closing in on her. It was a relief to be outside.

Knowing that she wouldn't encounter many people, Alexandra headed for two familiar marble tombstones. The cold feel of them put her at ease. She missed her parents every day, and when matters of the country got too much for her, she would come to visit them. Sitting down in front of the stones, Alexandra stared in to the sky. All she wanted was some peace and quiet, and for David to hurry up and leave.

As time went by, she started to feel the cold air seep into her body. Shivering, she looked around only to find a pair of green eyes staring at her. Valek was watching her from behind.

"I should have known you would be here." She said to him, as he walked up to her.

"You know, it would be really nice if you could tell us about these trips, ahead of time." Valek retorted.

"Sorry…I just needed a little bit of time to myself." Alexandra muttered, as he sat down beside her. "Where's my other shadow?"

"Mark is back at the castle, preventing Samuel and Aram from killing Daniel…who was supposed to be watching you." Valek smirked, as she gave him a look of disbelief.

"I'm not that easy to watch. I thought you'd know that by now." Alexandra retorted.

"I do…but poor Daniel hasn't had any experience with your disappearing act the way Mark and I have."

"It's okay to miss them, Lexie." Valek told her, putting an arm around her so that she could lean in. Wrapping her arms around him, Alexandra was more than happy for the warmth he provided.

"I know…I just wish…things were different sometimes." She told him. Mark and Valek were like the brothers she never had. Their affection had always kept her from being lost in despair.

"I know." He said quietly, kissing her cheek, as they watched birds flying over head. "What? No complaints today?"

Alexandra smiled, as she shook her head.

"Nope...you're nice and warm. So, no complaints." She said, hugging him tighter. "Thank you, Valek."