Status: Slow and steady wins the race

The Trouble with Girls and Hockey Players

Prologue

Derick Brassard wasn’t stupid. He had done pretty well in school before he started playing major juniors and hockey took over his life. He could speak two languages, French and English, plus the couple of Swedish phrases he had picked up from his teammates, though he wouldn’t repeat those in polite company. The scouts said he had excellent ice vision and a high “hockey IQ.” He was good looking, had more money than he knew what to do with, and had an amazing apartment with a view of the greatest city on earth. Derick Brassard had everything going for him.

Until a girl walked into the room.

He could handle any number of dirty hits, vicious fans, or wayward pucks, but he was terrified of girls. Maybe it was the way they said one thing but meant another, or the way they would look up at him through their eyelashes, or the way they would be all over you one second and in love with his teammate the next. Whatever the reason, socializing with girls never seemed to end well for him. Anything he had ever learned seemed to liquefy and drip out of his ears. He completely forgot every word of English and could barely stumble through basic French. His hockey prowess didn’t help in a world filled with unwritten rules and potentially disastrous consequences. He always looked at the ground, stumbled over his feet, and generally looked like an idiot. When a girl was around, Derick Brassard had nothing going for him.

Lane Knightly wasn’t stupid either. She just received her MBA from Quinnipiac University in four years. She could speak two languages, French and Russian, plus the couple of Portuguese phrases she had picked up from her Brazilian roommate sophomore year, though she wouldn’t repeat those in polite company. All her professors said she was driven to exceed and would do well in the highly competitive business world. She was good looking, had more money than she had expected at this point in her career thanks to an amazing job offer, and an amazing apartment with a view of the greatest city on earth. Lane Knightly had everything going for her.

Until a hockey player walked into the room.

She could handle any number of horny coworkers, malicious backstabbers, or unforeseen obstacles, but she was terrified of hockey players. Maybe it was the way they were so friendly with their teammates but vicious towards their opponents, or the way they seemed to charm the pants off of any girl without even trying, or the way they would be flirting with you one second and have their tongue down a puck bunny’s throat the next. Whatever the reason, socializing with hockey players never seemed to end well for her. Anything she had ever learned seemed to evaporate. During her good moments, she sounded like a mentally impaired caveman who had a stutter. Her knowledge of target markets and advertising schemes didn’t help in a world filled with hunky, heartbreaking hockey players and dangerous puck bunnies. She always looked at the ground, twisted an ankle in her heels, and generally looked like a complete loser. When a hockey player was around, Lane Knightly had nothing going for her.

Unfortunately for him, Derick is going to be spending a lot of time around girls as they hunt for their ticket to the Rangers’ annual casino night. And unfortunately for her, Lane is going to be spending a lot of time around hockey players as she plans the Rangers’ annual casino night. Surrounded by hockey, more romantically adept teammates, and the looming threat of casino night, can Derick overcome his trouble with girls? Surrounded by her new job, an adventurous roommate, and the looming threat of casino night, can Lane overcome her trouble with hockey players?
♠ ♠ ♠
This is just a little summary, intro thing...so please comment because I'm really excited about this! :)