A Love Story

Gorgeous

I can tell you the day it happened, the first look, I got a little nervous, my heart fluttered and my best friend was feeling the same as she and I gawked at the new boy in our high school.

It was the first time I saw grey eyes, and if you've never seen anyone with grey eyes you are missing out my friend. They are like a snowflake, like a beautiful floating crystal from the heavens, like the cool plumes of steam from hot boiling water.

And reader, he was perfect in every way. Confident. Strong. Mysterious.

I didn't even know a thing about him, not even his name until class the next day. I was just counting myself lucky that Kareena pointed him out.

Riaz Malik.

Just thinking his name makes my mind flutter a little.

Just wait till you meet him, then you'll know what I mean. Maybe though, you have your own special someone, someone that's always on your mind. A crush, maybe even a spouse if you're so blessed. So you already know the feeling, you already feel that little flutter, that need to bring him up in every conversation, to every new person, the desire to find out about him subtly, convince your friends to go with you to places he'll be, find ways to walk by him without them noticing. All these tricks, maybe they are familiar to you too.

Don't worry reader, I won't make you wait too long. Riaz will be there tonight, at the World Charity masquerade. He accepted my Facebook invite and he was tweeting about it to a couple of his friends.

It's time to go. I have on a beautiful blue gown with a slit that goes to my knee beneath which is a layer of beautiful pearl cloth that makes the gown flow evenly to the floor. My heels peak out when I walk and sparkle when the light hits.

I grab my IPhone and snap a shot of myself in the full length mirror. I add a filter. The dramatic mood that my dress and accessories create against my dark make up make me feel elegant and exciting. I post the picture up on Facebook and I add the words:

#WorldCharityMasquerade2013 #passoverthemoula #bethechange

I stride from my room. Against the carpet my feet wobble slightly in the heals, so I hold tightly to the railing. My mom stands at the bottom of the stairs holding her hips.

She's grinning.

"Enough make up to make a mask! That makes it covering." She says and I smile back.

She doesn't like make up, not outside the house. She feels it attracts men and is too immodest for a girl to be out like that.

Once at the hall I park my Mazda and stride my way inside. I pull out a cute black mask covered in glitter and place it on my head and let the elastic snap on the back of my head.

Inside I find a few of my friends and watch the mingling between the formally dressed girls and the business pants wearing boys.

The night goes on, I catch myself locking onto Riaz's eyes from the other side of the hall five times. The fundraising goes on and I drop a fifty into the donation box. I catch his eye again just as I reach for my phone.

Every time I look I can't help but look away.

The music gets louder and a few people head towards the dance floor. The packed hall leaves minimum room to move around so I get up with Kareena and Maria to stand on the dance floor.

They start to dance. I glance around. Should I dance?

It's seen as so inappropriate to my mom if I dance in front of guys. But hey, it's dark, everyone's busy in their own fun.

I pull out my arms and feel the beat and the rhythm. I wave my hips slowly with the beat.

Kareena catches my eye and starts to laugh as we spin in circles. Maria and I take to copying Kareena who knows how to dance. We giggle. I bump into someone and glare behind me at the no name back that turns away and merges into the crowd.

I continue to let the darkness and the music guide me. I bump into someone again, right into their chest. I turn in his arms. He drops his arms to his sides.

Riaz Malik.

"Riaz! How's your evening so far?" I scream over the music and his bright eyes scour my face for recognition.

"It's great, I really like you in that." Riaz yells back and taps my mask. My heart blasts with the music and I feel we are both swaying along with it as we continue to face each other in a crowd of dancers.

I grin at him and he leans in close to my ear.

"You would look gorgeous with that off." He says looking at my head.

I motion to my mask and he shakes his head, I motion to my hijab and he nods and winks.

He doesn't like the scarf on my head. But he called me gorgeous!

My face goes red and I take in his tailored black suit that brings out his physique and the hours he spends at the gym.

"Great job inviting so many people Saina, I think they've probably collected a lot of money!" Riaz sweeps his eyes over the crowd.

"Yeah I've got the premature count, it's about 15K so far!"

"Nice, that means you've got your target!"

He grins at me and I grin to him. One of his friends pulls him into the crowd behind him and he is engulfed by the swaying people. I turn around to see my friends immersed in dancing.

My heart flutters a mile a minute and his gorgeous smile flashes in my head when I close my eyes at night.