A Love Story

Freshman 15

Over the next few months that we continued through university we saw each other in classes, met up for study groups and even hung out with our class friends while waiting for class.

I got to know him more, he's intelligent and he's hilarious. Although sometimes his impressions of Professor Clark are a little over done, he has this cute look in his eyes and I can't help but laugh. The way his hair just almost reaches his eyes and the way he sweeps it back with a little flip or a turn of his head is one of his charming characteristics. He takes his time to think through problems and he can talk about them in depth easily and clearly.

I even have his number and I just got a message.

sup? -Riaz

About to get some hot chocolate before class, you?

meet u at timothy's? - Riaz

Sure, see you soon :D

Can't wait :) - Riaz


I almost skip to the university's coffee shop and I make my way inside and see Riaz already in line.

"Hey Riaz!" I chirp and perch beside him.

"Hi Saina." He says and looks over at the display of baked goods.

I smile and glance over as well.

"So what're you gonna get?" I say.

"I'm starving, I'm gonna grab a couple cookies and a bagel and a coffee."

"Yeah the cookies look good." I say and eye the muffins.

A girl walks by, super thin and tall. Her brown hair is tied on her head in a bun and her tights emphasize the lack of fat on her body.

"Gotta watch out for that freshman 15 we got last year though eh?" Riaz says as he glances back at the display.

I look at his slim physique, and then at my own large hips and protruding stomach.

He orders two cookies, a bagel and a coffee. I order a hot chocolate. We sit down in a booth and he begins to devour his food. I sip at the hot chocolate. I glance at his beautiful fulfilling eyes full of wonder and hopes and dreams and wishes and confidence.

"So any new boys in your love life Saina?" Riaz says raising a curious brow at me.

"Oh you know how it is, as soon as a girl hits 20 she's got to get married. I've gotten at least 5 proposals." I sigh and take a sip of hot chocolate. Maybe this will make him jealous? I glance at his eyes, seeing the effect of shock.

He whistles one even tone.

"You are popular. So have you chosen one lucky guy?"

I roll my eyes.

"You know how it is Riaz, once you're in Canada you get proposals from back home just to be a ticket here. Does that happen to you too?"

Riaz's eyes go far away and I wish I could see what he was seeing too. He flicks his hair out of his eyes and refocuses on me. He takes a gulp of coffee.

"Yo, my parents are pretty traditional. My mom's already set criteria." Criteria? My heart starts racing.

"Oh yeah, what kinds of criteria?"

"Usual stuff, she's gotta be pretty, skinny, nice family, educated, know how to cook and be really well mannered. My mom can't stand those high and mighty girls who feel too good to take care of their own house or kids, you know?" I nod and feel my heart clench.

"Yo, do your parents actually consider all the proposals you get?" Riaz says tilting his head to catch my off gaze.

"Well, my dad's a bit reluctant because I don't know the guys, and my mom's a bit of a romantic. She says she didn't fall for them." I giggle thinking of my parents interesting suitor finding skills.

"So, would they prefer you knew the guy."

"Yeah. I think they would. You know how it is, hollywood and bollywood, everyone finds their own soul mate by themselves. So your parents are really traditional huh?"

Riaz stretches and yawns and nods his head.

"Yeah, they're super conservative like that, she has to be perfect."

"Oh, so they'd probably want her to wear hijab?"

"Oh no, they don't really care if she wears hijab, and I don't really want her to wear hijab either to be honest, no offence, but it's just not my type you know? They're really cultural really."

I laugh. I resist the urge to tuck a piece of my hair back into my hijab for fear he will notice it more.

"Oh no no, that makes total sense." I put on a huge grin for him.

We stand up and walk towards class. Once we sit down in class I busy myself in finding my books and Riaz opens his laptop to Facebook.