A Love Story

One Strange Secret

The tension in the room raises tenfold when I offer Riaz tea. He takes it in his hand and smiles forcibly squinting his eyes to make it real. I glance around the room and see everyone looking awfully uncomfortable. It's been like this for last half an hour.

Aunty glances at me from time to time, especially after she glances at her sons. I smile back as honestly as I can so she doesn't feel a hateful vibe directed at her. Ahmed Uncle and Dad seem ready to bolt from the room and Fahad just seems like he doesn't know why he's here.

The reason he's in my home reader, is so he can see me with his family. So, he can decide if he would like to propose and get to know me. So, he can then decide if he would like to marry me. So, we can come to an understanding. But there's nothing to understand here.

I take the half done tea cups into the kitchen. I wash them. I would rather not go back into the sullen cave atmosphere of the living room. I don't want them to know I can feel the pressure. I don't want them to see how much it's scratching at my heart. Making me feel guilt.

But why should I feel guilt?

Aunty comes into the kitchen after a few moments and I turn from the unfinished dishes. She stretches what should be a smile across her face and motions for me to sit down at the kitchen table where all our feast of a dinner is resting, waiting to be served to her and her men.

I take a seat. Aunty sits in front of me and takes my hand in good nature. I can see she has something to say.

"Saina beti, I need to ask you," she takes a steadying breath and looks at me in the eye. "something important."

"Of course, go ahead," I almost flinch at my own impoliteness, I should have said 'please go ahead'.

"Right, Saina, before we came here we had a family argument. You should know it was about you. Riaz wants to marry you, but Fahad's father and I want Fahad to be married. Riaz became very angry when we told him the reason we were coming was not changing. He said that you had agreed with him something," Aunty looks down to our hands and her saddened gaze grieves. "He said you agreed to marry him, that you kissed each other. That you already promised yourselves for marriage."

"But Saina, that's not true, is it? Please tell me," Aunty holds my hands firmly, waiting for my answer.

"I never said I'd marry him," I take a deep breath. "Aunty, that's not fair. He said that I kissed him, but what happened was that he pushed himself on me. I thought he was a good person Aunty, I'm sorry, but he lied to you-"

I stop and catch my breath. My airway blocked with truths so harsh and heavy I can't breath. I begin to hyperventilate. He stole every first kiss I could have held in esteem.

Because of my one strange secret, I am being subjected to torture. Had I known liking Riaz would cause such trouble I would have hidden.

Aunty's gaze holds me back from saying more. She doesn't want details.

"Beti, I think I believe you, but I don't know what to do about my son," Aunty stands and rubs my back. She kisses my forehead and stands by the kitchen door.

"Aunty, you just do what you came here to do," I say as I gather my composure. "The rest is in Allah's hands."

When I arrive back in the living room, Uncle and Dad and Riaz are gone. I look at Ammy with a curious look, but the calm that has arrived in the room is answer enough.

Oh, and the shy grin on Fahad's face.
♠ ♠ ♠
If you want to know on what grounds these two will choose each other I will attach a link below. In Islam there are grounds to decide who to marry. Many people are unfamiliar with Islam, and this adorable situation can make more sense with some info from a scholar. Also, he's hilarious. As the subtitles say "LOL HAHA." Don't worry though, it's in ENGLISH!

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aw8m5xXtN4
Enjoy!