Status: Comments, please!!!

No One Left I Love

District 5

All of this was ridiculous and a waste of time. District 5 had no living tributes other than myself and my mentor Kaleb Rhies. The earlier tributes had already died before I was born so this was just rubbing salt in our wounds. Everyone in the crowd knew we probably wouldn't be coming home home again.

My mother and sister were also in the crowd watching the both of us. My mother's eyes were already wet but she refused to cry in front of my twin Arin. Arin couldn't think like the rest of us. She was identical to me down to our matching amber eyes but she had the mind of a child. Arin didn't know how horrible Panem was because we protected her.

Ruby Jewel slowly walked out the Hall of Justice to the podium. Her trademark blood red hair was styled in a series of complicated braids and twists with ringlets cascading to her shoulders. Her makeup was still perfect with the same shade of red on her lips. If you didn't know her, you'd think her smile was real. I knew it for the lie it was.

"Welcome to the Quarter Quell. In honor of our beloved President Snow, one male and female victor will participate in the 75th Hunger Games!" She kept a wide smile while she announced but her vivid green eyes held a curious sheen.

"The bowls please." Ruby was all for manners and how she was seen. This was going to be as uniform as can be.

"Ladies first," she crowed.

There was only one slip of paper in the bowl. I knew it was my name but I still held back a shiver when she said it.

"Our female tribute will be Aura Luxor." Ruby clapped and the people remained still.

District 5 wasn't overtly emotional because we couldn't afford to be. Panel depended on us for power whether it be solar, electrical or nuclear. Emotions didn't get our jobs done but made that worker disappear to never be seen again. We didn't have a big population in the first place so everyone had to work extra hard to meet the quota.

That doesn't mean my sister didn't start bawling. Her sobs were loud and clear across the still mass that was my people. She didn't know I could end up dying. Arin only knew that name meant someone left and for the most part didn't come back.

I kept my eyes on the crowd but heard Ruby go into the other bowl. Again there was only going to be slip.

"Our male tribute will be Kaleb Rhies."

We turned to one another but said nothing.

This Quarter Quell was going to be the most deadly. I just knew it. The Capitol and President Snow were going to watch past victors behead, stab and kill like I did in the 73rd Hunger Games. They wouldn't let two survive like last year with District 12. They were out for blood.

I stepped forward and put one leg out to.net go downstairs. Then I felt the Peacekeepers grab me and pull me to the doors.

"Get off of me!" I screamed. "I get to say goodbye! I get to say goodbye!"

They wouldn't listen. I punched, bit and struggled but they wouldn't let go.

Eventually I felt Kaleb's hands on me and I went limp.

My sister was sobbing and bawling louder than ever as I had fought to say goodbye to her.

"You need to stay strong for her," his gravelly voice whispered.

I nodded and the Peacekeepers let go as I stopped fighting.

The crowd gave me the salute for goodbye and I returned it as the doors were shut.
♠ ♠ ♠
Tell me what you think!