Status: In Progress. The more feedback I get, the more frequent updates will be.:)

Fade Away

Chapter 3

3.
I opened my mouth, but nothing seemed to come out.
‘I-I’m sorry?’ Alyssa said sympathetically, yet still confused.
‘Mr Ferguson came by about 15 minutes ago. He told them that there was a mix-up, without me or Devin’s original ‘mate’ present. So I am now; mate-less.’ he said glumly, sitting on the bed beside me, his head in his hands. I put my arm around him gently, forgetting about the fact that I am still shirtless. Alyssa sat on his other side and gave him a side hug. Chris walked into the room.
‘What’s going on? Why does Ange look pissed and getting a hug from his shirtless female friend, when they both have mates-’ he said confused.
‘No. I do not have a ‘mate’.’ Angelo said sarcastically, while I quickly replaced my Pierce the Veil shirt with the black Misfits shirt that Chris had laid out for me.
‘What do you mean?’ Chris asked, completely confused.
‘Mr Ferguson came by earlier and told Ghost and Kylie that there was a mix-up in the ‘Counter-Part Ceremony’; Kylie and Ghost were supposed to be mates.’ I said quietly.
‘Yeah, and I had to find out by walking into the room while they were playing tonsil tennis.’ Angelo said, taking his hand away from his face.
‘I mightn’t have felt something for her, but…’
‘Maybe there was a mix-up with someone else’s mate, and their mate is actually yours.’ Alyssa said comfortingly.
Angelo sighed before leaving the room. I looked down, as Chris made his way over.
‘Poor Ange…’ Chris whispered. I nodded as Chris wrapped his long arms around Alyssa and my shoulders.
‘Mads… I know you don’t want to go back, but…I could get arrested for “kidnapping”, if I let you stay here and he tells the council…’ he sighed.
I nodded slowly. I may not want to go back to bastard, but I don’t want to be the reason for one of my best friends being arrested and perhaps standing trial for refusing a dom from his mate. I slowly stood, putting my cold hand against my still burning cheek.
‘Hell no! I don’t care if I get arrested; she is not going back there!’ Alyssa argued.
‘But you won’t be any good to her in a cell. She could need you and you wouldn’t be there to help her.’ Chris reasoned with her.
‘I’ll drive you home. I live a few doors down, sure.’ Ryan said, walking into the room. I gave him a half-smile and walked towards the front door, Chris and Alyssa at my heels. I quickly went into the living room and hugged all the guys (and Kylie), before walking to the front door. I hugged Chris, Alyssa and Angelo, before leaving with Ryan to his car. The car ride was silent, but that was to be expected, as Ryan is normally quiet.
‘So…er…how’s things with Allie?’ I asked, trying to break the silence.
He nodded ‘Alright. Her parents don’t seem to like me, though. I don’t think they approve of my underage drinking.’ we chuckled.
When we arrived, I thanked Ryan grimly and walked slowly up to the door, instantly regretting the decision to leave the comfort of my best friends. As soon as I reached the door, Chase ripped it open, pulling me inside.
‘What the FUCK was that? Running to your faggot friends because you can’t take a couple of hits? You’re pathetic. And a wimp.’ he threw me back onto the broken glass coffee table.
‘I’m still waiting for that beer.’ he said, annoyed. I slowly stood up, walking into the kitchen and started looking through cupboards, trying to find his glasses, before finally finding one and taking a beer out of the fridge and walking quickly into the living room, handing him the drink. I awkwardly stood beside him, not knowing what to do.
‘What are you standing there for? Go and make dinner.’
‘But there’s no food in the cupboards-’
‘Well go and get some, then. And don’t think that I’m giving you any money. You can steal the food for all I care.’ he snapped. I nodded quickly and walked swiftly over to my rucksack that was beside the door, pulling out my purse, before turning to Chase. ‘Can I borrow your car?’ I asked him politely.
‘So you can destroy it? Hell no!’ he growled. I nodded and started the 20 minute walk to the shops. I don’t know why he’s so protective of the tin can; it hardly starts. And it’s an ugly orange-yellow colour. As I was walking, I saw a familiar car pull up beside me.
‘Hey stranger. Long time no see.’ I smirked playfully at Angelo.
‘Where’re you going? Isn’t Chase’s house the other direction?’ he said confused. I shook my head, walking towards the open passenger window of his car. ‘I have to get food for dinner.’ I said. Angelo frowned ‘And he’s making you go to the shops by foot? Is he picking you up after?’ he asked, concerned. As a human, it is not unlikely for me to get jumped and turned into a full vampire or be killed during the night.
I shook my head, chuckling at him ‘Do you really think he’s that nice?’ I asked.
He shrugged in agreement. ‘D’you want a lift?’ he asked.
I frowned ‘I’ve nothing else to do. And I don’t have a mate to go home to…’ he tried to persuade me. I finally gave in and climbed into the car.
‘Thank you.’ I said quietly to him. He nodded. ‘He hasn’t done anything else since you got back?’ Angelo asked after a couple of minutes of comfortable silence.
I sighed ‘Not really; he just threw me onto the broken coffee table, but that’s it.’ I told him, which he seemed relieved.
‘I’m really sorry that you have to put up with that. You deserve way better.’ he said absentmindedly.
I scoffed ‘Like who?’
Angelo bit his lip nervously, glancing at me from the corner of his eye. ‘…Someone who doesn’t hit girls…human or not…when he turns you, you can report him to the council. He’ll be executed for abusing his mate.’ he avoided my question.
‘You still didn’t answer my question.’ I stated, looking at him, as he parked the car in a space. He sighed, unbuckling his seatbelt, before looking at me. ‘I just think that there are…better…suited?…people.’ he said as if he was hiding something. I sighed, deciding not to push him. I ran my hand through my hair, before stepping out of the car.
‘D’you want me to come and keep you company?’ he asked.
I shrugged ‘You don’t have to. But the company would be nice before going back to shit-face.’ I joked, causing him to smile, which made me smile. ‘Ha! Made you smile.’ I smirked at him as he rolled his eyes, getting out of the car and walking towards me.
On our way across the car park to the entrance of Walmart, a group of extremely drunk humans started yelling at us, crowding around us, preventing our entry into the shop. One of the humans stepped in front of me ‘Hey gorgeous, wanna ditch this fag and hang with us?’ he slurred. I rolled my eyes, grabbing Angelo’s arm, trying to push past them, muttering a quiet ‘fuck off’.
‘Oh no…you’re not going anywhere.’ he said, gripping my wrist. Angelo growled and within 10 seconds, all 8 of the men were on the floor, their throats ripped out and Angelo’s chin was covered in blood. He, somehow, managed to keep his shirt clean. I shivered, looking away from the gruesome scene. I’m not scared of blood or gore, it’s just different than in the movies; it’s real. Them boys will never see their families again, nor will their families see them, only in a grave yard. Angelo wrapped his arms around me. He was now shirtless, after wiping his chin with it, disposing of it in the nearby bin. He may have just shown his murderous vampire side, but I still found comfort in the hug, and returned it, trying to ignore how cold his skin was.
He sighed in content ‘Your skin is so warm…’ he whispered.
‘Doesn’t feel like it to me.’ I replied, shivering.
‘It makes me think…what would life be like…not as a killer, but as a human…’
‘Trust me, we’re killers too. We don’t necessarily drink the blood of the animals, but we eat the meat, like yous. And there’s the vampire hunters…’ I said, as we started our walk through Walmart with a trolley, Angelo getting strange looks for being shirtless in the frosty weather. ‘Maybe we should get you a shirt before you snap from all the stares.’ I suggested. He nodded, giving the middle finger to a 20 year old guy who was staring at us. I snickered, pulling his hand in the other direction of the 40-something year old women pointing at us. ‘You have 2 middle fingers too. Why do you need to use mine?’ he chuckled.
‘Because… I’m a lazy human…who has to be back “home” in around 20 minutes.’ I said, checking the time on my phone.
‘What are you making?’ he asked, looking at the bags of chicken wings in the freezer section.
I shook my head ‘Only a couple of days worth. I don’t have a lot of money.’ I said, throwing a bag of dry pasta and other ingredients to make pasta, and the ingredients to make lasagne and pizza.
‘Man, he’s lucky. I’ve tasted your cooking, and it’s amazing. If he doesn’t like it, there’s something seriously wrong with him-’
‘Is there “something seriously wrong with him”?’ a voice said from behind us. I gulped, before turning around, meeting the eyes of Chase.
‘I came to see what was taking you so long. I see you were just hanging out with fag boy, instead of doing what I told you to do.’ he said.
‘Angelo was just helping me. He was giving me a lif-’ ‘Does it look like I give a shit-’ ‘Don’t talk to her like that!’ Angelo growled at him, glaring. Chase returned the glare, walking over to me, gripping my wrist ‘Buy the food, then you’re coming straight home. With me.’ he added. ‘Go tell fag boy to lea-’ ‘His name is Angelo. NOT Fag Boy.’ I snapped. Angelo shook his head, wrapping his arm around my waist, pulling me into a hug, not once breaking his glare with Chase, even when I pulled his face down to mine. He finally looked at me ‘Thank you Ange.’ I said, kissing his cheek, before pulling away, offering a small smile in his direction, before walking to the check out with Chase at my heel. Man, he’s awfully jealous and possessive over me, considering the fact that he hates me.
When we got home (Chase let me ride in his car for some reason), I made him pasta, before asking where I can sleep, to which he replied that I will be sleeping on the floor, beside the sofa.
-Next day-
‘A mistake?’ Chase asked excitedly. Mr Ferguson nodded. ‘You are mated with a human; just not this one. You’re mate was in England. It was actually your match that caused the mix-ups.’ Mr Ferguson said. ‘They’ll be here today.’ I tried to hide my smile that was taking over my face.
‘So…do I…um…go back home?’ I asked hopefully. most of my belongings were still in my bedroom at home.
chase groaned ‘Who?’. The principle ignored him and turned to me instead.
‘You still have a mate, so you’ll be living with him.’ he said slowly. I frowned
‘Who?’ I asked curiously.
‘All in good time.’ he replied cheerfully.
‘First off, Chase , we must pick up your real mate from the airport.’ Chase scowled at him. ‘Whatever.’ he muttered.
‘Ms Clear, can you gather your belongings quickly, and we will leave you at your house to pack. I’ll come back and get you after Chase and his mate here.’ I nodded and lifted my rucksack of clothes and hair products and stuffed my make up bag and nightclothes in as well.
‘Done.’ I muttered to myself, putting my phone and iPod in my pocket. We all climbed into the car, I had the back to myself.
‘What’s she like? Is she hot?!’ Chase asked, starting to get excited.
‘I cannot tell you if HE is ‘hot’. That would be inappropriate.’
Chase’s eyes widened. ‘He?! I’m not gay. I’m NOT gay!’ he began another rant as I got out of the car, thanking and agreeing to meet Mr Ferguson in half an hour.
I hurried into my house, excitedly.
Chase was a spoilt brat the whole 24 hours I was with him. God love the poor fertile who ends up with him.
After 15 minutes, everything was packed completely (apart from furniture). Even though I was ‘mated’ with another vampire, I still couldn’t get over the shock that I have been destined to be with a vampire.
I wonder who it is?
My thoughts were interrupted by knocking on my door. I opened the door to reveal Mr Ferguson.
He helped me to lift the boxes into his car and we set off to my new home. My REAL new home.
We stopped a couple of minutes later, at a big-ish house. I swear I have been here before. It looks so familiar, I just can’t put a face or name to the owner of the house.
‘This is it.’ he said, lifting my boxes out of his car, before opening my door. I stepped out, as he got back into the driver seat.
‘Sorry for the mix-up. Bye.’ he sped off, leaving me in the drive way with my belongings.
I gulped and dragged myself to the door, raising my hand, knocking a few times. I heard a very familiar voice say that he’d ‘be there in a tick!’
I heard shuffling inside, before the door unlocked. I took a deep breath, trying to push aside my nerves.
When the door opened, we gasped at each other.
‘Maddie?!’
‘You’re my mate?!’
He nodded, blushing, before hugging me lightly.
‘I’m glad it’s you.’ I whispered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Don't forget to Comment/Subscribe/Recommend
I promise it'll get better:)
Midnight.Moments
xx