The Puppet Master

Chapter 1

There was an unsettling, scraping sound as Mr.Myers forces his chair back and stands up, gaining the attention of the other village council members.

Clearing his throat, he began to welcome everyone which was a sort of routine he had stumbled into, even though nobody was new. Then his pitch dipped, making his voice akin to Darth Vader's, complete with laboured breaths and frequent pauses.

"I am sure you are all aware of the recent.... acts of violence in town. I feel as if the subject of these crimes has been put off for far too long. We need to find the thing responsible for encouraging those teenagers to commit such atrocities. There have been six cases of teenagers caught offending on CCTV, and claiming to know not a single detail of that event, even when given a lie detector test it showed they were telling the truth. So, we either have a gang training people to cheat lie detector tests or we have a phenomenom that we can not begin to explain. Either way, it is a crisis our village has never dealt with before."

The speech had several council members in differing states of hperventilation and the rest were cradling their faces in their hands from the overwhelming stress of it all.

There were no leads, no warnings or signs. They just happened; unexpected and unwelcome.

The police from a neighbouring town had visited to investigate, confused by the obvious rise in juvenile crime. It was a struggle for people to get their heads wrapped around it. Children committing grevious bodily harm? More so, the respectable children of their village committing grevious bodily harm?

It was hard enough for anyone to comprehend, so no wonder Josh was perplexed. He knew some of the kids that offended, they were definitely not the type of people to be doing such things.

After a stressful meeting with the council members he headed out of the village hall with a familar eagerness. Being on 22 years of age, he felt uncomfortable having such responsibility placed on him. His father was a council member, thus Josh has been pressured into it with pushy, elderely smiles and constant questions about when he was going to join.

His footsteps clattered along the road, it was abandoned almost, due to people being too frightened to even go beyond the boundaries of their front gardens to be on the streets.

The offenders had not been friends as far as Josh had known, so it had seemed a ridiculous idea for them to be linked to one another. Rivalry perhaps, gangs and alliance however, not in a million years.

It had occured to him some time ago that there was no reasonable explanation for these offences, so he stopped really looking. Sure, if something caught his eye he would report it, but freaking out of things that didn't even make sense seemed too drastic. When someone gets murdered, that's when he will officially lose his shit and panic.

He hoped it would never come to that.
♠ ♠ ♠
So feedback is appreciated, and criticism alike. Have a great christmas c: