The Puppet Master

Chapter 4

"I'm just saying, Josh, it isn't the sanest of explanations."
"You don't believe me either?"
"I'm not saying you're a liar, but you could have easily imagined what you saw, it was a traumatic experience. Know one would blame y-"
"I am not going to have this conversation with you, I know what I saw. Don't you have to go to work now or something?"

Josh knew he was being unfairly impatient but there was only so many times you could be told by your own flesh and blood that you hallucinted one of the most terrifying ordeals you have had in your whole life. It came second to when he got chased up a tree when he was ten by some bullies and his underwear got caught on a branch.

Sighing, he layed down to watch the light expose the airbourne dust particles. It was strange how your past times became so different after only wasting a few days in hospital. He tried to tell the doctors and nurses that the precaution were unecessary but apparently he nearly started to internally bleed, and so they went about it as if he wasn't protesting at all. Everybody seemed to be visiting him. The neighbours that lived a few streets away; the aunty with which he shared a mutual hate; even his Mum said she would be down in a few days to visit him.

That was one visitor he wouldnt mind, his mum had been away a little over month and things were not looking up.

Unnoticed by Josh due to his daydreaming; a figure glided into the small room and perched on one of the visitor chairs. He watched Josh stare almost mechanically ahead, his gaze not swaying from where it contently lay on the plain wall opposite.

It was only when the stranger stood up and made his way to the side of Josh's bed that he realised. Jumping at the sudden presence, he squeaked and his hand flew up to cover his mouth partly because of the embarrasment partly protecting his features if the stranger was a threat.

He was not.

It was Oli, the strangely beautiful recluse that he spent half his life staring at through his window. Also the man that saved him from Paul.

"Hey Josh." The reserved air that he usually possessed diminished, and in it's place was a seemingly confident man.

"Uh...Hi?" It was so obvious that Josh was at a loss for words that it was almost painful.

"I trust you are feeling better?" Oli asked, his features only exposing emotions of hope and concern.

"Yes, I am. Also, I wanted to thank you for you know, saving me."
"The pleasure is all mine, really." Oli replied with a sincere tone, a contrast to his face which was held in a smug smile.

Silence cascaded around them; with the occasional interuption from the machines bleeping from either side of Josh. He attempted to sit up, and winced at the searing sensation all over his torso.

"Does it feel as bad as it looked?" Oli asked, as if it was a pleasantry. Josh stiffened at the complete abandon of sensitivity on Oli's part.

"Could be worse."

To which Oli just smirked and walked out; giving a brief nod to Josh before departing. It seemed that as soon as Oli left, a nurse walked in.

"It's time to do more tests and check your fractured rib" She informed him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you so much for the comments and recs everyone :3 I'm sorry it took me a while to update, but I really don't have any excuses other than that I have been watching Lord of the Rings :)