The Puppet Master

Chapter 9

When Josh stepped into the house, with every intention of not getting drawing too much attention to his late arrival, his dad was sitting on the living room sofa, watching a football game. "Er, hi?" It sounded more like a question than an explanation but it would have to do.

"Joshie, you can come and watch the game with me?" His dad offered, not too pissed about the time, more curious. Josh obliged and sat down with him, they kept a comfortable silence before his dad finally cracked and asked the question. "So, where have you been?" Josh could tell his dad wasn't meaning to pry, so he remained civil and didn't turn defensive. "I visited Oli for a chat, we get on quite well." Josh was a bit quiet on the last part but his dad still caught it. He pat Josh on the back. "That's good to hear, you don't own much of a social life apart from visiting Max sometimes." Josh nodded silently, before excusing himself and leaving to go to bed. (More like lie in bed and think about the fuck Oli is.)

At around about 2:03pm Josh's tiredness was beginning to catch up on him; his eyelids were weighing down gradually. He almost wanted to go around Oli's house right now and talk but nature called and he was sleep deprived as it is, so that was an unrealistic option. He supposed he could wait till the next day. Just about.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

He finished work and was met with an intense urge to see Max. Being unusually spontaneous, he dropped by Max's house and was relieved to see that he was home from work. He knocked on the door gingerly, but Max was thrilled to see him. "Hey, Joshie." Max enveloped him in a firm hug before beckoning him in, and so they sat talking about their lives for hours.

When Josh mentioned Oli, Max immediately wiggled his eyebrows suggestively, much to Josh's embarrassment. "God, Max, stop doing that." Josh tried to manoeuvre his hands to provide a cover to his flushed cheeks. "Ohhh, Joshie's got a crush." Max squealed, delighted in this new found information that would serve as good teasing material. "No, I don't, I have no idea why you would think that." Josh hadn't meant to lie, it just sort of came out. He was stubborn sometimes, and even if he acknowledged he was wrong, found it difficult to not defend his false point. "He was only your." Max paused, making a stupid 'loved up schoolgirl' face before continuing: "Knight in shining armour." He emphasised the whole sentence and Josh tried very hard not to just give up and admit it.

Max poked Josh in the side a few times whilst cackling at Josh's distress. Josh punched him in the arm jokingly; pretending to be highly offended.

"Ah, but seriosuly Josh, if you to get married I demand to be best man." Josh could only agree to it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

It was pretty late when Josh got back from his distressing experience with Max, and his dad made him dinner, which was an achievement in itself. Also, Oli had come round to visit Josh but he was too busy being ridiculed by his friend to actually be home, so Oli had to deal with the Josh's dad because he had insisted Josh would be back "any minute now". They sat with an uncomfortable air in the room, exchanging small amounts of pleasantries and Oli almost let it slip that he intended to take Josh's hand in marriage. (Technically two men where not permitted to get married but Oli figured God could suck it up and deal with it.)

Josh walked and was greeted by an overly cheerful Oli, however his dad looked more on the side of impressed bewilderment.

He was glad that at least the first meeting with the in-laws seemed to go relatively well.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for the comments, recs and reads guys! c: Feedback is welcome, as is criticism blah blah blah have a good life everyone c: