Life and Love

Harry Potter Story : Life and Love : 7

‘Hey Hermione.’ You said taking a seat next to her at the table.
‘Hey Hannah, you ok?’
‘Yeah and you?’
‘Yeah I’m alright.’
‘Where are the boys this morning?’ you asked taking your usual amount of toast.
‘Not up yet or something.’
‘Well Ron better be up soon or I will have to walk to potions by myself.’
‘Not if you walk with me.’ You heard Draco say from behind you.
‘Well I may have to take you up on that offer seeing as we need to be leaving in 5 minutes. ‘
‘Do you mind if I sit with you both, Hermione?’
‘Err, no…’ Hermione replied shocked.
‘Thanks. So apparently there is going to be a Halloween ball next month, I heard two seventh years talking about it.’
‘Yeah I heard that too.’ Hermione said joining in the convocation.
‘I hope its not fancy dress, do they know how hard it is finding a costume in Hogsmeade?’
‘Yeah right.’ Hermione giggled.
‘I just need to talk to Blaise, I will be back and then we can go yeah?’ Draco said noticing Blaise walk in.
‘Sure.’ You smiled and turned back to your last piece of toast.
‘What have you done to him?’
‘Huh?’
‘Malfoy, he has never talked to me like that before, ever. I didn’t know you were friends with him.’
‘Either did I, he was nice to me and I wasn’t going to throw that back in his face.’
‘Well I prefer it. I don’t know what Ron and Harry will think of it though…’
‘They won’t like it.’ You answered plainly. ‘That’s why if I don’t think of it as an issue, hopefully it won’t become one.’ You said getting up and giving Hermione a hug. ‘See you at lunch.’
‘Have fun with Snape.’ She said in a sing-song voice.

‘You will each be assigned a paired project on everyday potions.’ Snape began, standing at the front of the dark class room with his hair hanging over his face. ‘You must write an essay between the two of you, including what it does, good and bad sides of it, when you would use it and how to make it. Then on Friday when you give in your essays you will make the potion. You will be paired with the person you are sat next too. No exceptions.’
Loud groans went out from all around the room, surprisingly though, this time you and Draco just sat quietly in your corner.
‘I will come round and give you each a different potion. Please make some notes about what you are meant to be doing and make arrangements with your partner.’ Snape walked towards the front pair and you turned to Draco.
‘So this shouldn’t be too bad.’ You said smiling.
‘Nope, do you want to meet after dinner tomorrow and then we can go up to the library?’
‘Sounds good to me.’
Snape appeared in front of the two of you. ‘You will be doing Laughing Potion.’ He said, gave you a glare and moved on.
‘Easy.’ You said writing it down above your notes.
‘What?’ Draco knew you weren’t exactly the brightest bulb.
‘This will be easy.’ You stated.
‘Why?’
‘Think about who two of my best friends are.’
‘…the Weasley twins.’
‘Yep. I bet they know loads about this.’

‘Love potion. I think he’s done this on purpose, you should see the strange looks she gives me, and she’s going to get me to take some I swear.’ You heard Ron rant as you took a seat next to Harry for Lunch.
‘I’d watch out Ron, the next thing you’ll know is that Pansy’s lying in your bed with you when you wake up.’ Harry laughed.
‘Don’t Harry. It’s not even funny.’ Ron looked slightly sick.
‘I have an announcement to make.’ Dumbledore shouted making everyone fall silent. ‘This year we will be having a Halloween ball. There will be one for first, second and third years, and another for forth, fifth, sixth and seventh years. The first one will be on Friday the 30th for the first three years, and the older years will be on Saturday the 31st. It will be Fancy dress,’ you groaned and Hermione chuckled at you. ‘This is one of the reasons we have decided to tell you so early, as we know it will be difficult to find a costume. This is why we have made the theme, Princes and Princesses, Fairies and Disney. It is optional, you do not have to come, but don’t just not come because you did not get a date, for this reason, for 3 songs we will ask you to dance with someone who you did not go with. We will give you more details in a month’s time; meanwhile start thinking about your wonderful costumes. All years will be able to go down to Hogsmeade every weekend until the ball, so you will have lots of time. That is all.’
The hall broke out into loud talking, moans and groans, giggles and glances at people who they would like to go with.
‘Come on guys, we’ve got our favourite lesson.’
‘Don’t forget the teacher.’ Hermione said linking your arm.
‘Oh no, I could not ever forget such a wonderful teacher.’

‘Hannah…Warren?’
‘Yes.’ You said answering the register, not looking up from the book you were meant to be reading, although you were just thinking about the ball, and how an earth you were going to find anything to wear, but Hermione seemed to have a few ideas up her sleeve.
‘Is your father the English quiddich coach?’
‘Err… Yeah.’ Whispers broke out all around the room.
‘No doubt you play quiddich too; do you waste your life on it like your father?’
‘Yes I do play quiddich, and it is not a waste, if you had ever played you would know the feeling it gives you.’
‘I would not waste my time on such petty games.’
‘It’s not a petty game; if it was do you think the whole world would be so crazy about it?’
‘They have all probably been driven mad just like your father. He spends every living moment training other people to be better at flying on a broom. What a waste.’
‘It’s not a waste!’
‘Miss Warren do not argue with me.’
‘You provoked it, talking that way about what my dad devotes his life too.’
‘So much so that he has no time for you?’
‘Shut up! Its one of the best things that has happened to him since…’you stopped knowing the words that were about to come out of your mouth.
‘Since what?’
‘You know what.’ You stared down at your book.
‘No dear I’m afraid I don’t. Speak up.’
‘Since my mum was killed!’ You screamed at her, your eyes began to water, but you would not give her the satisfaction, she had made you tell two of the biggest things in your life to a whole class because she doesn’t like the fact that your dad is one of the biggest names in quidditch.
‘Detention with me at 8 Miss Warren for disrupting the class.’
‘What the Fuck!?’ You got up and walked out.

‘I’ve got to go.’ You said standing up to leave for your detention.
‘Don’t worry Hannah, it won’t hurt too much.’ Harry said rubbing his own hand.
‘We’ll be in the common room when you get back.’ Hermione gave you a sympathetic smile. You faintly smiled back and walked out the great hall.
You weren’t upset because of Umbridge’s detention; you were upset because now everyone knew about your parents. You weren’t ashamed of your father, of course not, but you just didn’t want everyone to think you were only good at quidditch because of your father. The truth was, yes you had started flying at only 7, but after your mum died you did not see him that much, and now you only do quidditch with him during the holidays, if he’s at home.
And then there is the situation of your mum’s death. Obviously you wouldn’t want everyone to know, you didn’t want anyone to talk about it, after all it had all been buried memories as soon as you started Hogwarts, you had not really thought about it, remembered it in any way.

You knocked on the door of Umbridge’s office.
‘Come in.’ you heard her muffled high pitch voice say. ‘Sit.’ She pointed to a desk, already with the parchment and quill at the ready.
‘What do you want me to write?’ You asked sourly.
‘I am not going to waste my life on pointless games.’ You sighed.
‘How many times?’ You asked picking up the quill.
‘As long as it takes for you to believe it. ‘
You wrote your first line, and watched as the cuts in your skin appeared. But instead of stopping you carried on, writing more and more lines, you clenched your hand into a fist and eventually it went numb. You could hardly see the words anymore as there was a puddle of blood above it, trickling slowly down the side of your hand in a deep red colour.
‘Do you believe it yet?’ You looked up. ‘I’m afraid I am not going to.’ You replied looking her square in the eye.
‘Right. Well leave and maybe next time you will think again about disrupting my class.’ She said then making a shooing motion with her hand. As you walked back to the common room the blood still trickled, making the occasional spot of blood on the stone floor below you. You let out a single tear for each drop, but you made no noise or facial expression, you just walked.

‘Hannah…’you heard a voice behind you; you quickly wiped away the tears and hid your hand.
‘Yes Fred?’ You said, hiding the fact that anything was wrong completely.
‘Ron said you wanted to talk to me.’ You turned back to him.
‘Yeah, erm I have a project to do in potions on laughing potion and I wandered if you could tell me anything about it.’
‘Yeah I have a whole book on it, I can lend it to you if you like?’
‘That would be really good thanks.’ You smiled.
‘I will give it to you tomorrow then.’
‘Thanks.’ You turned to walk away; you needed to put something on your hand.
‘Oh and Hannah?’
‘Yeah?’ you turned back.
‘Will you go to the ball with me?’