With Ears to See

Will You?

“Austin, what do you think? Regular rice or Jasmine rice?
“Hmmm…Jasmine.”
Mei-Xing nodded in approval and placed the bag into the cart.

Mei-Xing and I are shopping for tonight’s dinner. I think she said something about making dumplings.

“Alright, now to find the wonton wrappers.”
She headed towards the noodle and seaweed isle with me trailing after her with the cart.

I saw her reaching up for the wrappers on the shelf, but sadly, she couldn’t reach it and stomped her foot in frustration.
I chuckled a bit and got them for her.

She gave me a look of mock hurt and punched me in the arm.

“Just because you’re super tall doesn’t mean that you get to show off!”
She smiled and thanked me afterwards.

More ingredients were picked and small talk was passed.

The last thing was to get the vegetables.
Mei-Xing picked up a ball of cabbage and observed it.

Then she spoke up.

“When do you plan to ask Kellin to be your boyfriend?”

I choked on whatever air I had in my lungs. When I gained my composure, I gave her a nervous smile.

However, the look on her face told me that she was completely serious.

I shifted my stance a bit and looked down on the ground.

“Austin. Look at me.”
I did so.

“I have seen how happy he makes you, and I have seen how happy you make him. Why are you hesitating so long? What are you afraid of?”

What am I afraid of?

He’ll reject me.

He’ll lie to me.

He’ll leave me.


“Alright, whatever thoughts are running through your head, erase them right now. Kellin is nothing like that bitch Juli…Je…Janelle…Whatever her name was.”

She gently placed a hand on my arm.

“I have known him since he was a child, Austin. When Kellin says that he loves you, he utterly means it. And when he says those three words, you know that you can trust him with anything and everything. Haneul and I would always worry that he’ll say those words to the wrong person. But with you, we don’t have to worry.”

She moved away and smiled up at me.

“Do us all a favor and tie the knot, Austin. I promise that you won’t regret it.”

She patted me on the back and continued her search through the vegetables.

“Come on, Austin. We have to get some bok choy, carrots, bean sprouts, and tomatoes , and then we’ll be on our way.”

x x x

“Dinner was nice tonight, do you think?”
“Yeah. Mei-Xing and Haneul are always great at cooking.”

Kellin and I were washing dishes again while a foreign drama was playing in the living room.

“Mei-Xing is watching her Korean dramas again. Haneul’s probably asleep on the couch.”
He chuckled to himself.

A moment of silence fell upon us as we finished the dishes.

Orchestral music from the TV began to pick up, and I took Kellin’s hand in mine.

“May I have this dance?”

He giggled and nodded.
I held our intertwined hands out to the side and placed my other hand on the small of his back, bringing him closer to me.

We gently spun and danced around in the kitchen to the sound of the orchestra. Kellin giggled again with a little tint of pink on his cheeks.

“I feel like a princess.”

I chuckled at his statement and pressed a kiss to his forehead.

Soon, the music stopped, and so did we.

“Austin…?”

I closed the gap between us and pressed my lips against his, earning a gentle kiss from him back.
I pulled away slightly, staring deep into those loving eyes of his.

“I love you so much, Kellin. And…I don’t know how to say this without being completely cheesy…but…”

Inhale, exhale.

“Will…will you be mine, Kellin?

Everything about him seemed to glow in the dimly lit kitchen, from his eyes, to his smile, his skin, and all the way to his fingertips. He hugged me tightly and rested his head on my chest.

“You didn’t have to ask. I’m already yours, Austin. I love you, too.”

In the corner of my eye, I saw Mei-Xing standing in the doorway with a smile on her face, dabbing her eyes with tissue.

“This was way better than the drama,” was what she mouthed before she walked off.

Another orchestral song began to play in the background.

“Austin?”
“Hm?”
“Will you dance with me again, my prince?”

I laughed at the name and kissed him on the nose.

“Of course, my princess.”
“Okay…that was kind of cheesy.”
“You started it!”

We both laughed as we danced in the kitchen again.

Why was I so afraid? Why did I hesitate for so long?

Either way, Mei-Xing was right.

I don't regret the decision I made.
♠ ♠ ♠
Writer's block is dumb. :P
Sorry for the wait, lovelies!
heroes. , Evka483, Sarah-Bear2010, WristsR4Bracelets <3
'Til the next chapter!