Save Yourself

Thank You

The flight back home was comical, to say the least. Abby insisted on sitting between Sherlock and I, she also insisted on knowing absolutely everything about him. I stared at the window silently, thankful Sherlock didn't seem to mind explaining all about his cases to her - though, I had to reprimand him a few times for talking about gory entrails with a six year old.

While Sherlock insisted I needed to tell her that her father's body was in the ground somewhere courtesy of her mother, I insisted as smart as he may be - he wasn't fully aware of the psyche of a small girl. Instead, I chose to tell her that he'd been hurt while at work and unfortunately she would never see him again. A website online told me to mention angels or something, but even I couldn't give her that load of crap. Sherlock might be rubbing off on me.

We were greeted by John and Mrs. Hudson, who were beaming from ear to ear and both so happy to introduce themselves to Abby. Mrs. Hudson took her into her kitchen to help bake and I settled myself into my flat, while John and Sherlock sat upstairs discussing something called a Moriarty.

The notebook with Abby's picture sat, bloodstained, on the bed. I immediately threw it in the trash can, before wrapping the blanket Sherlock had given me around myself. It wasn't until that moment, listening to all of the bustle above me, that I began to cry.

I cried more than I had in years. Cried because Abby was finally mine, cried because Derek was finally out of the picture. Hell, tears were even shed for the life Derek and I could have had, though there's no way I could ever want it again. I cried for the years I'd lost with my little girl and I cried for the sacrifices everyone in this situation had to make.

It appeared Sherlock had used some kind of connections through his brother to have everything with Derek settled with the government back home. I wasn't entirely sure how it all worked, but Sherlock had assured me there was a large check waiting on the counter for me at home. When I finally picked it up, I nearly fainted. Really, I would never have to work again.

I checked in on Abby and Mrs. Hudson, both covered in flour, but seemingly delighted. Mrs. Hudson gave me a dear, look at what you've been through, go rest look, before I kissed Abby and walked upstairs. Sherlock and John both had awful expression on their face.

"Do you mind if I talk to Sherlock alone for a moment, John?" I asked. John nodded, hugging me tightly before heading downstairs. I shut the door behind him, taking his seat.

"I could hear you crying." Sherlock spoke, not looking at me.

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"I think it made me sad."

I laughed, realizing this was his best attempt at sympathy, "Thank you, Sherlock."

The silence spread between us, broken only by the sound of car horns and people emanating from the window. After a moment, I realized that nothing was truly going to change from our experience in the states. A tear slowly crept out of my eye. As I reached to wipe it away before Sherlock could complain, he took my hand, holding it tightly in his.

"No, thank you, Kara."
♠ ♠ ♠
As always, I would really love and appreciate feedback. Seems like you gotta beg for it on here sometimes.