Status: It will active...Ish as I have muse

I'll Check in Tomorrow if I Don't Wake Up Dead

Racing Hearts and Crabby Brothers

By the time that Lily had emerged from her shower, which she’d taken the time to mull things over, dinner was on the table and everyone was sitting down. Frankie and Kara were talking with large grins, while Stephen and Gerard seemed to be glaring at each other. Making a mental note later to ask Stephen to leave the raven haired cop alone Lily took the open seat between Gerard and Stephen, thinking it wise to act as a physical barrier. She didn’t miss the way that Stephen’s eyes widened at her appearance and Kara faltered in her talk with Frankie. Her hair was pulled back into loose bun so it wouldn’t drip over everything at the table.

“Hey. Looks good thanks Mum.” Lily addressed, hoping to quell the surprise at her appearance. She knew the two were only concerned, hell they probably all were, but was grateful they didn’t comment.

“I hardly did a thing, thank Gerard. He’s a brilliant help.” Kara gushed turning her eyes onto Gerard’s face. The man looked up and offered a smile, but Lily noticed the blush that tainted his ebony cheeks.

“I like to help out.” Gerard tried to deflect the attention and sending him an impish grin Lily shook her head.

“He’s a big help at home.” Lily piped up, in an impulsive manner and Gerard glanced over raising a single eyebrow in her direction.

“Well, it’s not like we live in the 50’s. It’s good for both parties to help out around the house. It makes them both responsible and I think that’s a good thing.” His tone was silky smooth, “I’d hate to be Archie Bunker.” Snorting at his response Kara beamed in a delighted manner.

“Ah, a cultured man I see. So when is the date for the wedding? I know that we’ve been otherwise occupied with everything going on but I don’t want to be that mother who didn’t know her daughter got married. Bad enough I didn’t know she got engaged.” The older woman shot Lily and Gerard a disapproving frown and crossed her arms, ignoring the untouched pot roast on her plate.

“August fifteenth.”

“May third.” The “couple” spoke at the same time before shooting each other panicked looks.

“Gerard? I thought you booked it for May.” Lily shot at him, hoping that he’d come up with some lie.

“Eh, about that.” He stated in an unsure voice, as three pairs of eyes descended on him. “Yeah, I wasn’t going to mention it until after we get back to Jersey but, uh…” He stuttered frantically for a few moments and shot Frank a pleading glance who stared blankly back hardly hiding the small smile on his delicate looking features. “The day! It was taken. The next open was August fifteenth.”

Kara tilted her head taking a bite of the food on her plate giving the cop an intense stare.

“Are you lying? I feel like you’re hiding something from me.” A dead silence had fallen upon the table and Gerard’s already pale skin had begun to drain of all color; while Lily felt her mouth go slack. No, they couldn’t find out that would make things infinitely more complicated and she could only imagine Kara’s reaction.

“Lying? Me?” Gerard managed to squeak in a panicked tone. Her eyes narrowed and she leaned forward slightly.

“You forgot didn’t you. I will give you this advice early in your marriage. Don’t lie, either of you. If you messed up just say so. I wish that you father and I had that skill Lily. Maybe… Maybe things wouldn’t of ended between us.” Lily was shocked into a brief silence before remembering she should probably play along to Gerard’s lie.

“She’s right. You shouldn’t of kept it from me it’s not a big deal I mean everything’s already ready just we have to make sure we indicate that on the cards that’s all.” He seemed to sag with relief and sheepishly glanced at his plate.

“Thank you for that Kara. I hope that advice will help Lily and I for many happy years to come.” The warmth in his voice was so believable that it almost made the petite brunette forget that this wedding wasn’t real; neither were her and Gerard.

“Oh of course! I just know how happy you make Lily! I mean at first I was really hesitant because of the short amount of time you’ve been together but…” She paused and Lily was beginning to think that coming out from her room was a bad idea. “I mean it’s nice to see her trust someone. I never thought she’d be with anyone. My therapist explained it to me like this; she has this issue where she goes for men she knows she can’t have therefore she doesn’t really ever have to rely on them.”

“Eh?! You talk about me to your therapist?!” Lily exploded her eyes widening with indignation.

“I talk about all of you! The thing I’m trying to say you brat is it’s nice to see you have someone. I used to worry about you all the time. What if you ever got robbed and shot and no one found you for days because you have no friends.”

“I have friends.” Lily defended shouting and shoving a bite of food into her mouth in a ferocious manner. While Gerard did his best not to completely dissolve into laughter at his fiancee’s mortification. “Anyway my neighbors would smell the decomposition of my body. I wouldn’t worry about it.” She shot back smugness embedded into smirk as Kara narrowed her eyes.

“Whatever Lily; God forbid I try to tell you how proud I am of you.” Her mother sighed taking a bite of the remaining dinner on her plate.

“I think you’re rushing into things.” Stephen snapped, speaking for the first time that night. Lily’s head swiveled towards her younger brother.

“You don’t have to like our decision Stephen; I wish you would, but you have to be respectful.”

“You honestly think that once the honeymoon euphoria wears off you two will still be so in love with each other?” His tone was cool and logical; his eyes were reflective of annoyance.

“I never said it would be easy but a real marriage never is.” Ignoring the rest of the food on her plate Lily added quickly “I also don’t think I asked your opinion.”

“Alright knock it off you two! Stephen leave your sister alone and Lily don’t bite his head off.” Kara intervened and the two sibling stopped talking; but their glaring didn’t stop. A gentle hand on her lap caused Lily to stiffen though relaxed when she noticed Gerard. His large hazel eyes were mildly concerned so she just shook her head.

“Alright, well I’m done eating. So goodnight everyone.” Standing up abruptly as Gerard’s hand fell off her hip.

“Are you sure? I was going to run out and get ice cream.” Sending a withering glare towards Stephen Lily shook her head.

“I’m tired. Not hungry, thanks anyway Ma.” Kara nodded, and looked like she wanted to protest her daughter’s choice to once more withdraw to her room but just nodded.

“Alright, we’ll see you in the morning then.” The disappointment was cloaked beneath her mother’s brisk tone as she stood began to clear the food on the table. Gerard hurriedly stood and began to help to clear as well.

“I’ll be up later if that’s ok with you Sugar.” The petite brunette could feel her heart quicken at the nickname; he hadn’t called her by that in a while and a genuine smile stretched across her mouth.

“Great, yeah that’s… That’s fine.” She exclaimed and ducked her head with embarrassment as Kara chuckled.

“Don’t worry about me Gerard. I’ll make my son help out for once. And I’m sure Frankie will help too.”

“Of course Mrs. Rozenshiem!” Frank exclaimed getting to his feet with the first plate he grabbed and waved towards Gerard.

“It’s fine go keep your future wife company.” To Lily that translated as “Go keep an eye on Lily to make sure she’s alright.” But there was a gleam in Frank’s eye that he normally only had when he was teasing someone. Gerard coughed with surprise and glanced away.

“I mean if you’re all set in here.”

“We’re fine man. You two go rest or something.” The short man waggled his eyebrows and grinned. The raven haired narrowed his eyes subtly before turning to Lily with a small shrug.

“Well, I suppose we’re getting kicked out.”

“I suppose we are, c’mon Babe.” Lily said in a spur of boldness, and took Gerard’s hand heading out of the kitchen away from Frank’s catcalls and laughter. They had made it to the stairs when she felt a small tug and realized she was still gripping Gerard’s hand. Feeling mortified she quickly released him wondering what had come over her.

“Sorry, just I thought we should be a little more convincing if we’re to get married. At least that’s what they think.” The woman began to apologize in a hasty manner under Gerard’s kind and patient stare.

“No I think it’s a good idea. I mean if we act affectionless towards each other than they’ll catch on that something isn’t right.” The two had begun to move up the stairs again towards the room that had after three weeks, had become theirs again.

“Yeah that makes sense. I’m sorry that Stephen was being a jerk.” By the time she spoke again the two had reached the door and as they stepped in Gerard gave a humorless chuckle.

“No it’s been like that since… Since that night.”

“What?” Of course it made sense that she’d been oblivious to Gerard and Stephen’s tension over the past three weeks as she had been in her room and Gerard seemed almost nervous as he closed the door after her. She reached up and tugged the band from her hair letting her thick brown hair fall free around her shoulders, still damp from the shower before dinner.

“Yeah I mean I don’t blame him. He’s just really worried for you.” Waving it off as a small deal the man flopped down on his side of the bed and yawned; it dawned on Lily then how tired he looked. While the guilt that had haunted his eyes was gone for the most part a deep exhaustion clouded them and his face was still gaunt and his body seemed taunt with the need to rest. Sinking down beside him Lily glanced over at him and frowned.

“You don’t look good. Are you alright?”

“Tired. I’m exhausted actually. Lyle’s been dodging my phone calls for the past two weeks. I’m a little worried.”

“I’m sure he’s busy and it’s probably because I’ve watched too many cop shows but if he keeps calling here won’t that be a tell-tale sign if someone goes through his phone records.” Gerard studied her for a moment before he chuckled and causally ruffled her mousy hair amusement clear within his face. She sent him mocking angry glare as she tried to fix the wet mass that was now in her dark green orbs.

“I didn’t pin you for a cop show kind of person.”

“Well… NCIS counts right?”

“If you insist Sugar.” He teased her with this smile that made butterflies swirl in Lily’s stomach. “You know, I don’t think I can relay in words how nice it is to be back in a bed.”

“It’s nice to have you back.” The words slipped out of her mouth before Lily registered she said them. She received a dubious stare and she could sense a shift in the air. His eyes were just a little too keen, his stare just a little too intense and not enough distance between them.

“I know. I’ve missed you so much.” His voice was nothing more than a husk whisper.

“Then why didn’t you say anything? I didn’t really think you cared until I saw you.”

“I didn’t think you wanted me around. I didn’t want to make things worse. I seem to have a knack for fucking shit up. Not in a good way.” His voice was reaching for tones of humor while his eyes were a hazel ocean of grief and failure.

“I did. I still do.” The flutter of butterflies in her stomach from before had morphed into an avalanche and right then she swore her face was purple.

“I just want you to know that you are important to me Lily. I won’t let anything happen to you.” By this point they had shifted their positions on the bed so they were facing each other and Lily was torn between running away and kissing him. His lips had always looked so soft, and she wondered what it would be like to kiss the cop.

“I know.” She breathed and was acutely aware of the way Gerard’s eyes flicked to her lips. The intensity hadn’t left their hazel depths, and as she was sure that he was about to close the gap between them the cop seemed to panic and rolled back onto his side of the bed and the withdraw almost hurt the woman physically.

“Good, I’m glad you know.” He sounded a little breathless, and Lily shifted onto her back, so she wouldn’t have to stare at his. Had she done something wrong? Perhaps it was because of Karen; from the way he talked of her Lily knew how deeply and strongly he had loved her. She was sure one just didn’t get over that.

“Well goodnight then.” She whispered, feeling rather disappointed and letdown as the woman turned her bedside lamp off. The orangey glow was cut off, hiding her face in shadow for which she was glad. It would be embarrassing if Gerard’ turned around and caught the pained frown on Lily’s lips. She had been so sure he was going to kiss her and… and she didn’t mind.

As she lay there in the tense and thick silence that was layered between them Lily began to re-think what had happened. It was probably for the best that he hadn’t kissed her after all. Lily was in no way ready or willing to start something with him. It would deeply complicate things between them and make his job harder. She lay there telling herself the only reason she’d been willing to kiss him was simply because she had been so relieved at the fact they had made up, and the marriage lie was really getting to her. Of course who wouldn’t grow close to someone who saved their life?

With whom they shared a bed with most nights? Minutes ticked into hours as she lay in the silence that covered them; and Lily felt a twist within her heart as Gerard began to breathe in light little snores next to her; leaving the woman to her thoughts and troubles. Gerard himself probably wasn’t ready for what she wanted and Lily quietly struggled to come to terms with what had just happened. Thoughts of Gerard ran rampant through her mind and the woman wanted to scream. It wasn’t that long ago she hadn’t been able to stand the cops existence; only about a month and a half ago.

She wasn’t aware that he had even crept into heart in that way until she had cut him out completely. Swallowing the lump in her throat Lily’s thoughts kept her awake for what seemed like hours. It wasn’t until she glanced at the clock that read two a.m. If she didn’t sleep now she’d never wake in the morning. As much as she tried not to impose on Gerard’s space as she tried to get comfortable the woman found herself curled up against his back, his steady breathing becoming something akin to a lullaby for her. Slowly, her eyes closed and breathing evened; Lily fell asleep curled against Gerard’s back a small and peaceful smile sketched onto her pastel pink lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ah, all the muse swirling in my head. Thank you to nailsntacks as always for the comments!

- Don't be quiet readers, I love comments!