Status: It will active...Ish as I have muse

I'll Check in Tomorrow if I Don't Wake Up Dead

Why Don't You Just Drop Dead?

Lily stumbled off the plane sleepily, nose throbbing and looked around for either Gerard or Frank doing her best to avoid her brother or mother. Luck was still not on her side as Lily heard her mother's shrill voice near her ear.

"Lily! Don't think we're not going to discuss your impending marriage. Sweetie you don't really want to get married do you? You're just doing this to prove a point." God there was no pleasing this woman. If Lily didn't get married she was being a recluse and now that she was getting sorta married her mother threw a fit. In fairness it wasn't a planned event.

"I... Uh I think you should let me be happy." The woman muttered trying her best to make the lie more convincing. Kara gave an exasperated sigh.

"It's not that I don't want you to be happy, I just don't want to see you end up like me and your father." This stirred Lily's genuine scorn and she bit her tongue not wanting to say something regrettable.

"Just meet him yeah? He charmed me enough to get over Connor and fuckin' marry him." Kara narrowed her eyes at her daughter.

"Whatever Lily it's your life I just don't want to see you mess it up. You're not pregnant are you?"

"Don't you think I'd be showing by now? And you asked if I lost weight when we met up at the airport. Not gained any." Her mother shot daggers at the annoyed brunette.

"I just don't want to see you jump into a commitment you're not ready to handle." At this Lily ignored her and looked around, spotting Gerard and Frankie waiting a few feet away, scanning around for something.

"Yup, I hear you and your psychology doesn't work on me. I'm going to catch up with Gerard. Where did Steph go?"

"He went to the bathroom. Why don't you have Frankie go get him? I'm sure they'll get along." At this Lily scoffed.

"When does Steph get along with anyone, you can send Frank yourself I'm not bossing the poor man around." Kara sighed as the two women approached the cops.

"Hey Sugar you look better than on the plane ride." The rather fake concern in his voice almost competently hid the notes of glee.

"Probably cause you and your stupid face isn't slowly breaking my shoulder in half." Lily was now in a cankerous mood, and didn't realize how rude that sounded. Kara made a noise, the kind she made when she proved a point. Rubbing her temples the woman lowered her voice. "Sorry Babe, you know how much flying wears me out." Gerard made a sympathetic noise and awkwardly pulled her into an embrace, letting her go quickly.

"I know. Let's get to the place we rented, I think that's the guy who's taking us there?" The raven haired man pointed to a casually dressed woman holding up a sign that had Way in large letters. Not noticeable at all, to searching mob leaders the short woman though dryly though just nodded. Lily didn't' trust herself not to snap at him right now. Her body was now craving some nicotine as well, just something else for Kara to hound Lily about. Gerard took her hand and pulled her close to him, their hips brushing as he led the group to the woman with the sign.

"Where's Steph and Frank?" Gerard suddenly asked looking around, body stiffening.

"Relax they went to the bathroom. I'm sure they'll be out soon." He nodded and looked at the two with analyzing eyes.

"So Gerard what do you do for a living?" He paused and looked at her, before answering slowly.

"I draw. Comics." Her mother made a small disapproving noise.

"You think you can support a family on just the wage of a comic artist?" Gerard shrugged and looked down at Lily.

"Lily works and neither of us want kids for awhile. It'll give me time enough to get my comics more well known. Don't worry Kara I plan on taking good care of your daughter." There was a humorous tone to Gerard's voice though Kara didn't find it that amusing.

"Mom leave him alone. We're getting by just fine." Her mother sighed.

"You think that now but when you get pregnant Lily what then! I don't want my grand-babies living in some rundown shithole in New Jersey." Flames erupted on Lily's cheeks. This was humiliating. Part of her just wanted to tell Kara what was really going on, but the guise of a newly engaged couple touring Ireland was something easily forgettable. Rather than the girl who breezed through with two American boys who turned out to be cops.

"We're not having kids! Not for a very, very, very long time." Lily shouted, turning a few heads. Kara scoffed and was spared having to reply to her shouting daughter as Frank and Stephen showed up; Frank looking timid and Stephen looking glum.

"Can we go now?" The silky voice of the woman who was supposed to be driving them to wherever the family was staying asked, appearing slightly amused. It didn't escape Lily that she gave Gerard a once over, and a coy smile spread on her lips. As if in response to this Gerard just put an arm around Lily, it seemed to be the only thing either was doing, and nodded. Although, Lily quickly reminded herself that she didn't care if anyone checked Gerard out, hell they could go and fuck in a bathroom and Lily still wouldn't care.

"Oh yeah, please. We may need to stop at a grocery store but I'm sure Lily and I can handle it." He said, running his free hand through his hair brushing it out of his hazel eyes. Taking in the group Lily realized they all looked drained. Her mother's face was a somewhat ashen color and tired while Stephen's face was a near unrecognizable mask of contempt. Frank still looked sick and Gerard had slid on a pair of glasses, hiding his face from view of Lily's curious gaze. This was going to be the worst vacation ever, it wasn't really even a vacation Lily reminded herself with her lips pressed down into a grim line as the woman who had yet to introduce herself led the group out of the airport. As if reading her thoughts the woman spoke up.

"I'm Leigh, it's nice to meet you." Leigh didn't sound overly cheerful and Lily was beginning to develop a deep distaste for her. Hopefully this Leigh girl would be out of her hair soon enough. "So Gerard your boss called my branch abou-" Gerard quickly cut her off.

"Yes I know, I'll have to discuss a few things with you about the comic. As promised." She threw him an unreadable look, but otherwise nodded.

"Right, well then I can take your bags for you mam." She blasted Lily's mother with a rather charming smile, and held out her hands. Kara looked relieved and gave her a suitcase and duffel bag, keeping her purse and backpack with her.

"Thank you Hon, that's very helpful. Maybe my own daughter oughta take a lesson." Lily's mother didn't seem to be able to resist the jibe and Lily sighed, gesturing with her shoulder at the bags Gerard had unloaded on her. The man had been very quick to grab Lily's bags, only to pass them off to her. The petite woman struggled a bit bumping into people who didn't seem all that pleased. Finally after a few minutes of walking through the crowded airport the group had arrived outside and Lily glanced around wondering where they were actually going. Gerard leaned down and murmured "Capt. said that he'd be sending us somewhere remote. He told Frankie after we left that it would be Shannon." The woman nodded, Shannon was only a few miles from the town her father lived. Hopefully her mother didn't throw a hissy fit over this.

"Fine." He seemed to notice something was wrong, as did Stephen who spoke up for the first time since boarding the plane.

"Lily stop sulking. This vacation was your and your /fiancee's/ idea so deal." The young man glared at Gerard, apparently her mother had caught Steph up to speed.

"I am not." The woman defended herself poorly and Stephen snorted.

"You so are! Ever since we've gotten off the plane you've had this pout like someone just told you your dog died." Gerard chuckled at this only to have Stephen turn his glare back to the man quickly silencing him. Leigh seemed amused and a sort of understanding crept into her murky brown eyes.

"Well this is pleasant but I'm off to grab the van." With that the woman strode out into the busy parking lot and disappeared after a few seconds. Turning to everyone Lily put her hands on her hips.

"Alright, enough everyone. I'll admit I haven't been pleasant but none of you make it easy. This is a vacation we're going to smile and have fun. Understand?! No whining no nagging and no running off." She felt the need to add that and Gerard smiled.

"Calm down Sugar, I'm sure everyone's just a bit stressed after the plane ride. Once we get back I'll make some coffee, but I'll be back in a second." Lily's leaf-green gaze noticed that Gerard's hands were creeping towards his pocket where he kept the cigarettes. That was something that could help calm Lily's already frayed nerves.

"I'll come with you." She fixed Frank with a look that clearly stated to watch Kara and Stephen. Turning back to Gerard she followed him to a smoking designated area and held out her hand. "Can I have a smoke?" He gave her a teasing look.

"You're going to use all my smokes Sugar." Irritation made the brunette short-tempered.

"Don't call me that unless we're in front of my family. And I know jack-shit about you so I'm kind of screwed once my mom starts interrogating me about you." The cop raised an eyebrow and held out a cancer stick.

"Demanding aren't you? Come here so I can light it." He paused and fished a lighter out of his pocket, lighting her cigarette with a smug air about him. The close proximity made Lily a bit uncomfortable but she refused to show it. She just watched as Gerard took a drag and blew it out. "What do you want to know?"

"Do you have any family? What do you like to do? Can you really draw? Music, what foods you like... I don't know. Normal fiancee stuff." He laughed though under Lily's glare quickly regained himself.

"Well I have a father and mother. Their names are Don and Donna. I've got a kid brother, his name's Mikey. As for foods... I'm not really picky. Does coffee count? That would be my favorite. I can always go for a nice burger or pizza. Calzones..." He seemed to rambling and she nodded, taking a drag of her cigarette letting the nicotine soothe her nerves. "Music, I like anything from the Misfits, Black Flag, to David Bowie. I really can draw, I was in art school for awhile I specialize in cartoons but I can pretty much draw anything. How about you?" Lily watched the smoke from his mouth disappear as he spoke before answering.

"I love a good movie. It can be anything from Miazaki to Stephen King. I'm a bit of a scaredy cat, I don't like Indian food, I think they use too much spice. I've always wanted a hedgehog?" Gerard laughed at this and nodded.

"Alright what else?"

"I harbor a secret love for Mayday Parade. My co-workers showed them to me. I'm a photographer, nothing big really. Mostly just parents that just had kids or Christmas cards. Once or twice a year I'll get an offer to do photo-shoots for magazines. I'm not a morning person, in fact I sleep like the dead." By this point her cigarette was almost spent, and she stared at it with remorse. "I've been smoking since I was seventeen, my mom didn't find out until I was twenty though. And that's only because I stopped caring enough to hide it from her. I quit for awhile because, well because I kind wanted to. I'm /not/ a virgin, ignore my mother." Gerard just raised his eyebrows and smirked.

"Thanks for the clarification" She blushed, unsure why she felt it was so important to make sure he knew that her mother hadn't been telling the truth.

"I'm really big into social justice, I have shitty luck and haven't been home to Ireland since I was like fifteen. I used to live here with my dad and go visit my mum in the Summer. That's how I actually met Connor." Her eyes brightened a bit at the thought of her flame. "I'm twenty-six. I feel so old." He nodded a small smile.

"I'm thirty if you feel a bit better." She nodded and sighed flicking the remains of her smoking cigarette away Gerard shortly following suit. "We should get back." This was stated dully, and Lily merely nodded.

"Now let's try not to act like we hate each other. Here's hoping." There was a sarcastic bitter edge to her voice and Gerard smiled.

"Yeah. Here's hoping." As if emboldened by their talk Gerard twined their fingers together and Lily to her credit only stiffened for a second before relaxing. Together they found their group just as Leigh was pulling up with the van. It was absolutely hideous, rusted pain in some parts and a neony green color. The car itself didn't look very sturdy, it looked as if it were about to decompose and break down in front of their very eyes. Lily gave Gerard a dubious look who tried to smile back.

"This... This is really going get us to Shannon?" My mother asked doubtfully concern clouding her eyes.

"'Course. This beauty got me here in one piece. Could probably survive the apocalypse." Leigh assured us, taking Lily's bags and throwing them into the trunk then quickly ushered the group in. Prepared to get in with Gerard Lily was a bit surprised when Leigh offered to let him sit up front, leaving the woman to sit between Frank and Stephen. Kara sat in the middle of the van chatting the whole car ride, asking Gerard how him and Lily met. Shit, this wasn't something they'd gone over and Gerard looked back at her, leaving the woman to guess he wanted her to tell the story.

"We met back in college. Remember I went to that art school? He was an art major and I was a photographer major we were kind of acquaintances back in school. We ran into each other about seven months ago over coffee and began meeting up a couple times a week. Five months ago he asked me out and I kind of just knew. There wasn't anyone like him and I felt so stupid for not noticing him back in college." Lily paused here and looked down at her hands as if abashed at telling this story. At this part Gerard decided to cut in.

"She was stunning. I'd always thought she was beautiful in college but I didn't think she'd ever notice me. I mean we had virtually no classes together, and she was always with that blonde guy Connor. I'd always thought they were together so I didn't want to get between anything. When I saw her at the coffee shop, I didn't want to pass the chance up. We started talking and I realized how smart and beautiful she was; so we hung out more and more. I asked her out and like Lily said I knew she's the one. Time didn't matter a damned thing; I'm sorry we didn't tell you before, but I'm not sorry for falling in love with your daughter." He sent the girl a smile, so tender and sweet actual butterflies stirred in the pit of her stomach; though Lily would blame that on hunger. Her mother blinked and looked between Lily and Gerard; seemingly content with what was spoken.

"Is there anywhere to stop for food?" It seemed as if Stephen read her mind. Leigh shrugged.

"We can stop when we get there." Her voice was definitive as if her word was law; further aggravating Lily.

"You don't have an accent. Are you from Ireland?" Lily wanted to try to know this woman better if she could. Although she got a rather sarcastic reply back.

"Oh yeah totally." Lily wrinkled her nose with distaste.

"Where /are/ you from then?" This time there was a bit of longing in Leigh's voice.

"Michigan. I moved here awhile ago when I was about twenty." Lily nodded quietly trying to ignore the fact that she Leigh spoke in icy, impersonal tones.

"Ah, I've never been there..." Lily's voice trailed off as there really wasn't much else to discuss and Leigh hadn't responded. Green pastures rolled by as they passed beautiful cliffs; this truly was home and Lily hadn't realized how much she'd missed it. Perhaps... No this was just nostalgia. She'd never go to see her father; after all he had /given/ her to her mother. And from what she heard he was remarried with kids, the last thing he wanted was for Lily to barge in unannounced with an unhappy sigh Lily closed her eyes and murmured "Wake me up when we get there." Leigh remarked in a snide tone "It's really not that much of a drive, but if you say."

Lily had no idea what that woman's problem was; but her patience was quickly running thin. If Leigh was going to be sticking around and being rude, Lily would say something. For now however she settled down to sleep in the rickety van. However rudely Leigh may have relayed it; Lily found herself awoken from what seemed like a two second nap to Gerard gently shaking her.

"C'mon. I let you sleep a bit longer but we should go in now." Lily blinked too tired to comprehend his words, and instead raised her dark green eyes out the window and saw a small cottage nestled in the rolling green hills, and a few houses scattered around sparsely.

"It's... Small." She stated slowly, in a neutral voice. She'd expected something small- but not this small. On top of the lack of space, it appeared it'd fall down at any moment.

"Living in luxury. C'mon Sug- Lily." Gerard caught himself on the Sugar nickname which Lily was grateful for.

"I thought we had to go shopping." Gerard merely chuckled at this.

"Where did you think I went? You really do sleep like the dead." Annoyance, irritation and frustration shot through Lily like a bolt.

"Did you leave me in a car while you went shopping?!" They were nearly to the door now and Gerard held up his hands in mock defeat.

"Hey, I tried to wake you up- quite a few times. I just got tired of waiting." Sending him a glare that would send the dead back to their graves the woman decided to not respond, instead pushed the door open roughly and glanced around. It was actually nicely, modestly furnished inside with an open space concept. All in all it was pretty homey and Lily turned to Gerard.

"Where am I sleeping?" He chuckled and responded in a teasing voice.

"I was thinking the car. You looked so comfy." Swatting his shoulder Lily was bout to demand that he tell her when Kara's voice cut her off.

"Lily! I thought you were dead! Honestly you should go get a sleep study done- you're hair's a mess as well." Lily sighed taking deep calming breaths.

"I think Gerard would let you know if I had died. I wasn't so he thought it'd be fun if he took me shopping." Gerard did bite back a chuckle at this and kept and innocent face.

"It was your mom's idea Hon." For some reason that didn't surprise Lily in the least.

"Whatever, where's my room." At this Kara corrected her daughter once more.

"I think you mean our." Lily blinked and shrugged, there could be worse things than sharing a room with her overbearing mother.

"Alright, where is /our/ room mom?" Kara shook her head

"No not /ours/ you and Gerard are sharing a room."

"What?!" Lily demanded in a panicked tone, momentarily forgetting that they were supposed to be "engaged." Her mother merely raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah, I decided that I don't care. I'll get a spare room, Frankie and Mikey are sharing so you and Gerard will be sharing as well. I mean you two are already married, and I'm assuming you've had sex. Just keep it down." Mortification froze Lily and Gerard shuffled his feet awkwardly.

"I-I, are you sure? I mean mom I /am/ your only daughter. Are you sure you want me sleeping with a guy?" Her voice had taken a whiney edge as she tried to worm her way out of it. Of course Kara scoffed.

"What the hell do I care? You're twenty six Lily. Do as you wish, and by that I mean I want my own room." So much for parental instincts.

"Right well... Thanks." The daughter manged to grit out without throwing up and turning to Gerard growled "Lets go see the room." He looked like he'd rather be doing /anything/ else; but put on a cheerful grin and nodded. Silently the two found the staircase that led upstairs right in the middle of the home, which Lily found a bit odd. Walking down a hallway to the second to last door, Gerard opened it to reveal a small room. It had a bed that would fit two people (although that man was fucked if he thought they were sharing a bed), a wardrobe, a small tiny door that when Lily swung open, displayed a small half bathroom which merely contained a shower. "Priorites." Lily thought dryly. Returning back to the main part of the room Lily noticed Gerard's clothes were folded neatly, next to hers.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm thinking of adding a supernatural Gerard story with a stronger female role, to balance this one out...