Status: active

We Don't Belong

III.

It rained today.
And I smiled
because I thought of you.
Then our song came on
and it made me think
that you were thinking of me, too.


"Too bad we don't have a fucking song..." Haven ripped the piece of paper out of her notebook and crumpled it up in her hands, whipping it on the floor.

Addie was starting to really get to her and she didn't know if Addie knew or not. Haven was afraid of calling Addie out and sounding like a total bitch if what she thought wasn't actually what was going on. But then again, she was tired of being strung along like a stupid rag doll while Addie dangled Andy in front of Haven's wide eyed pupils.

Haven's phone buzzed on the bed next to her and she quickly looked to see it was Addie. Haven rolled her eyes but picked up the phone and read the message anyway. It was a quick, simple text: Mall?

Haven knew why Addie wanted to go to the mall. Andy worked at the mall and Addie's mom wasn't fond of Andy. She thought he was too rebellious and angsty for her supposedly sweet daughter. If only Addie's mom truly knew what her daughter was capable of. Addie would use Haven as an excuse to sneak off to the mall so she could see Andy.

Haven responded back with an "Am I picking you up?" to which Addie responded yes. But anyone could have predicted that answer. Haven wasn't sure why she even agreed to go with Addie. She could have just as easily said she had homework to do or come up with some other lame excuse as to why she couldn't go. But deep down, Haven knew it was because she wanted to see Andy.

***


"How many times do I need to tell you to quit doing that?" Addie whined playfully as Andy slipped a cigarette out of the box and into his palm.

"I know, I know..." He said with the cigarette between his teeth. "I'm trying for you, babe."

Addie smirked and watched as Andy made his way outside. As soon as he was out of sight, she turned to Haven. "Come on," She took her friend by the wrist. "Let's walk around. He'll text me when he's done."

Haven shrugged and followed her friend around. She didn't have much to say, really. She just shuffled along side Addie and listened to her blab on and on about how perfect Andy is as if Haven didn't already know.

"Stop, no." Addie suddenly said out of nowhere.

Haven looked up and saw a group of three guys she didn't recognize all walking towards her and Addie. They were smiling and waving at Addie. Addie smiled and waved back but shot an annoyed glance in Haven's direction.

"Jeremy!" Addie said, accepting the hug he was offering. "Haven't seen you in a while!"

"Yeah," Jeremy said. "Been too long."

Haven looked at Jeremy's red eyes and the eyes of all his friends, to Addie, and then back to Jeremy. "Are... Are you guys high?"

"SSSHHH." They all said.

"You want us to get in trouble?" One of Jeremy's friends asked.

Haven shrunk back. She felt so awkward and unsafe being around three rather tall and rather sketchy looking guys who happened to be flying higher than the clouds.

"You." Jeremy pointed at Addie. "You're coming with me." Addie giggled as Jeremy put his arm around her shoulders and began to walk away from Haven.

"Addie?" Haven called after her friend.

"I'll find you later, Haven!" Addie called back.

Haven was left all alone. She figured the best thing to do was to go find Andy. At least he made her feel safe, and that's all she wanted in this moment.
♠ ♠ ♠
As always, the poem at the beginning of the story is an original written by yours truly. I met a guy recently and we kinda have a thing going on and so it's been difficult to channel Haven's emotions and feelings of loneliness when I'm feeling so happy and upbeat but I've been trying my best :)

Shout outs:

-AlexandreaDanne
-heathyrxmisery