Remedy

Home ; Dierks Bentley

Callie grumbled as she closed the door to Kara's car and got out of the rain. Kara chuckled and pulled away from the back door of the mall as Callie pushed her wet hair from her face and buckled her seat belt.

"So...do we need to stop by your place first?" Kara asked as she pulled onto a main street. Callie couldn't help but notice how much more comfortable she was driving here, before Kara had refused to drive at all here.

"No I told Jamie I was working until close." Callie said, feeling even more guilty for lying as Kara turned and raided her eyebrow. Callie simply asked, "what? You think he's never lied to me about where he was?"

Kara shrugged, "don't get mad at me. I don't care. It's just not like you to lie to him. I've never seen you do it."

Callie sighed, "I hate doing it Kara. I really do but I just can't deal with him and this right now."

"Cal, no judgment from me. I get it. Do you really think I'd want Brenden around if I were in your shoes?" Kara asked as she pulled into the driveway of the small house she occupied.

They sat on the couch for several minutes in silence before Callie asked, "if this... I mean if its... you know, not, do you think I should tell him?"

"Only if you want to. Cal if you don't want to tell him you don't have to. You don't even have to tell him if it's a yes really." Kara told her, watching as she shook her head. She gave Callie's hand a squeeze and said, "right now, I'm here for you, and I can tell you with certainty that no matter what happens you're gonna be fine."

Callie nodded and stood up, made her way down the hall and into the bathroom. She splashed cool water on her face, before realizing she was wearing makeup. She scrubbed it off, trying to kill time and avoid the necessary. When she was clean of any makeup Callie looked down at the box on the counter and sighed, she tore it open, didn't bother with instructions. It wasn't like this was her first home pregnancy test.

- - -

"So?" Kara asked curiously as Callie came out of the bathroom and back to the living room.

"It was positive. All three." Callie said softly, and Kara watched her for any clue as to whether Callie thought this was a good or bad thing. There wasn't one. Callie simply sat down on the couch and stared at the wall across from her.

Kara asked gently, "you okay?"

"I don't know." Callie told her with a shrug. There was silence for a few moments before Callie said, "I should be excited shouldn't I? I mean what kind of person doesn't get excited?"

"Honey just because you love Jamie and you're getting married and have been together for years doesn't mean that you have to be excited if this isn't what you want." Kara told her, watching as Callie turned to her in tears.

"I don't know if it's what I want. I know he'll be happy but I never wanted to get pregnant now. That was never my plan. I don't know if I can do this Kara." Callie pushed her hands through her hair and bit down hard on her lip.

Kara put her arm around Callie's shoulder and gave it a squeeze before she told her, "if you want to do this, great then I promise you'll have me there for you, if you don't want to I'm still here Cal."

"How am I supposed to tell him? He's gonna know I'm not happy about it Kara and I know Jamie, I know that knowing I'm not happy would kill him." Callie wiped at her face and sighed, Kara simply shrugged.

"I wish I knew what to tell you."

"What would you do?" Callie asked curiously.

"What would I do? If it was me and Brenden?" Kara asked, and when Callie nodded she thought about it for a moment before she said, "I would take some time to figure it out myself, to think about what I want and then I'd probably tell him once I get used to it and figure everything out. Cal you don't have to tell him right away, I mean who knows maybe you're not even pregnant. Maybe it was one of those false positives, I mean I doubt it would be after three tests but still. You need to have it confirmed. We'll go tomorrow."

"Okay. And if I am?"

"Then you tell him when you're comfortable telling him." Kara told her, giving her hand another squeeze.

- - -

Callie locked the door behind her as she breathed a sigh of relief when she realized Jamie wasn't home. She made her way into the kitchen and turned the kettle on, dropping s tea bag into her waiting mug. She leaned her hip against the counter and chewed on her bottom lip.

She glanced around the condo, trying to imagine how different it would look in a few months, in a year, in five years. She could practically see all the changes, the bottles, the toys, the peanut butter and jam hand prints, and then the hockey equipment and the marks in the garage door.

She jumped as the door closed and turned, thankful that it was just Jordie. He smiled at her and dropped into the chair at the kitchen table. Callie raised her eyebrow as she filled her mug full of water and made her way over to the table as well.

"Thought I'd come hang out here." Jordie said, watching as she nodded slowly and her eyes began to wander around the room. He watched her for a moment longer before asking, "you okay?"

Callie nodded, "yeah. Why wouldn't I be?"

Shrugging Jordie told her, "because you have a major case of space brain."

She rolled her eyes and said, "I'm fine Jordie. I'm just tired."

"Yeah Jamie said you stayed to cover for someone today. That's why I play hockey, I could never be that nice." Jordie said with a grin, laughing as Callie rolled her eyes.

"We both know you play hockey because you have very little brain cells from being knocked around as a kid." She said, rolling her eyes again as he laughed and shrugged as if to say she was right.

"So why are you sitting around here being boring and sad, and not out at that team function thing for players and wives?" Jordie asked curiously, watching as she shrugged.

"Why aren't you there?"

"Because I'm girlfriendless and didn't feel like having that rubbed in my face." Jordie told her, shrugging as if it didn't matter in the least.

"You know it'll happen at some point. You're far too sweet of a guy, someday you're gonna knock some girl right off her feet. Trust me, I'm a girl. I know these things." When he gave her a wary look Callie grinned and told him, "besides. I mean your brother landed me, which basically means that if you don't somehow find a girlfriend there's probably something wrong with you."

Jordie burst into laughter, Callie simply chuckled lightly at his reaction and she took a sip of her tea. Finally after he stopped laughing he said, "you were doing so well for a pep talk too."

She shrugged, "not my fault you can't handle the truth."

"It's true. I still don't know how my baby brother managed to convince you to date him let alone marry him."

"It's the butt. He has an exceptional butt." Callie said with a grin, laughing as Jordie wrinkled up his face in detest.

He grinned, "well I'll have you know I have a nicer ass than Jamie. And better abs."

Callie put her index finger to her chin and made a thinking face before she asked, completely serious, "but do you do that thing with your hips?"

"Okay too much information. Way too much information!" Jordie muttered, making her laugh. He glanced up and narrowed his eyes "you're evil."

"Maybe so, but at least I'm not single." Callie said, laughing loudly as Jordie stared at her surprised she even said that before his eyes narrowed into a glare.

When the house phone rang Callie jumped, rolling her eyes as Jordie laughed at her. She grabbed it from the holster as Jordie asked, "is it Jamie? Cause if it is you should tell him I'm better than him."

Callie rolled her eyes, "no actually it's Mike."

She hit talk, cradled the phone between her shoulder and her ear as she got up to put her mug away, "hey Mike, what's up?"

"Cal.. it's Cora."
♠ ♠ ♠
Updaaate
Finally!!