Remedy

Even If You Don't Couldn't You Say You Do?

Kara stepped into the condo and slipped Callie's key into her purse. She took her shoes off and made her way up the stairs, she froze when she opened the bedroom door to find Jamie walking out of the closet in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. He stopped upon finding her in the bedroom.

Kara cleared her throat gently and explained, "I'm uh...I'm just here to get some of Callie's things. She's staying with me for a bit."

He nodded, "I figured. How is she?"

"A mess." Was all Kara said as she pulled some clothes from the dresser and shoved them into the bag she brought with her. She turned to find Jamie watching her before she told him, "she's struggling Jamie. She doesn't blame just you, but she really thinks there's no fixing you two, so if there is... maybe you should tell her that."

They were silent for a while before Jamie finally asked, "is it true? Is she pregnant Kara?"

Kara paused, t shirt in her hand, hovering over the bag before she looked up and met his eyes and said, "it's not my place to be the one to tell you that."

"So she is... and she still left me."

"No Jamie, she didn't leave you, she just needs some space. Sure she said some things she knows she shouldn't have, but you... you said things that shouldn't have even crossed your mind. She lost her sister, think about it, what if you were in her position? That changes everything Jamie." Kara told him softly, going back to packing the bag as Jamie watched her.

"You sound like you speak from experience."

"I do." Kara told him, tossing a pair of pants into the bag before moving on to grabbing her things from the bathroom before she looked at him again as she said, "that's why I'm telling you to give her some time."

He nodded, "will you at least keep me updated? Let me know she's okay and stuff?"

Kara nodded and zipped up the bag before she said, "things will work work. I promise and I'll try and get her to talk to you. Take care of yourself."

She leaned up and kissed his cheek before slinging the bag over her shoulder and leaving him to stand in the bedroom by himself.

When she arrived back at her house Callie was at the stove cooking. It was the first she had seen of Callie doing anything more than moping around for a week and a half. She even got a smile out of the brunette at the stove, and Kelly came around the corner from down the hall and grinned at Kara.

Callie had been avoiding Kelly in fear that she had taken Jamie's side, Kara could only guess she finally talked to her. Kara set the bag by the door and kicked her shoes off before she made her way into the kitchen where Kelly handed her a glass, "mojito's for us, lemon water for the psycho who refuses to drink."

Kara laughed and then turned to Callie, "hate to be the buzz kill here but I talked to Jamie today."

Callie nodded slowly, "well I'm making tacos, Kelly's request."

Kara nodded, but didn't push the subject any. If she didn't want to talk about it she didn't want to talk about it. Kara smiled and dropped onto the chair at the table and said, "well, these better be some damn good tacos."

Kelly grinned, "oh they will be."

- - - -

"Cal I know you don't want to talk about it but just a heads up, Jamie knows." Kara said quietly while they were sitting on the couch,the movie paused so Kelly could make popcorn. Kara glanced down at Callie's stomach, which she had been doing a good job in hiding. She then explained, "I think Brenden accidentally let it slip because he asked me about it today, but I told him you would talk to him when you're ready."

"I don't know if I'll ever be ready for that conversation. I mean...what if that's not what he wants now? there's no going back." Callie said, fiddling with her hands which were clasp together in her lap.

"No going back from what?" Kelly asked as she entered the living room again and sat down beside Kara, putting the popcorn bowl on Kara's lap.

Coming up with a quick lie Kara said, "boy bands. There's no going back from admitting you like a boy band."

"I call bullshit. There's only one boy band Callie ever liked and she's not ashamed she's in love with New Kids on The Block." Kelly said, and then added with a grin, "we all know why she watches Blue Bloods and it ain't for the plot line or the cute younger brother."

Callie smiled, Kara laughed, before Callie told Kelly, "I guess if Jamie knows there's no harm. I'm pregnant."

Kelly stared at her for a long time before she asked, "I'm sorry what?"

"16 weeks."

"Wow...holy shit... a baby Benn..." Was all Kelly could stammer out.

After sitting in silence for a whole Kara turned to Callie and raised her eyebrow, "so...Donnie Wahlberg huh?"

- - -

Callie sniffled, and wiped at her face as Kara knocked on the bathroom door. Callie muttered a response and leaned her head into the crook of her elbow, which was resting on the toilet seat. Kara poked her head in the door, smiled sympathetically and then walked into the bathroom and sat on the floor beside Callie, leaning her back against the tub.

“How ya feeling?” Kara asked, chuckling as Callie turned her head to glare at her, “that good huh?”

Callie sniffled again, and before she knew it she was sobbing again. Kara paused for a moment, and then wrapped her arms around Callie's shoulders, put her chin on her shoulder. Callie leaned into her and wiped furiously at her face, trying to stop the tears but they kept coming. Kara had been wondering when this was going to happen, from what Jamie had told her Callie hadn't really cried much since Cora died, she hadn't cried this much since she had been staying with Kara. She knew it was only a matter of time.

“When is this gonna stop?” Callie asked after she had managed to catch her breath, though tears were still spilling over her cheeks.

“Not for a while. I cried for months after Lexie died, but you're also pregnant so your emotions are already way out of wack. Cal you can let this control your life, or you can let it make you stronger, for yourself and for this baby. It'll take a while but it gets easier.” Kara told her, reaching over to wipe her tears.

Callie nodded slowly and then rested her head on the wall behind her before she said softly, “I think I should go talk to Jamie. Maybe go home... if I still have one here.”

“You do.” Kara told her, smiling when Callie turned and raised her eyebrow, before she said, “I've kind of been talking to Jamie, don't get mad at me. He loves you Callie, more than anything. He loves you, and it's Jamie, there's no way he'd let you go without a fight. He just needs to know you want him to fight for you.”

“I don't need him to fight for me. I just need him to be there.” Callie mumbled, making Kara smile. Callie put her hands on Kara's forearms, which were still wrapped around her shoulders and asked, “but for tonight can we just make popcorn and watch The Best Man?”

“Absolutely.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay updates :)