Remedy

Nothin Better To Do; LeAnn Rimes

“Do you think I should even wait? I mean I just... we haven't been together that long and I don't want to make things worse you know?” Kara asked, rambling just the slightest as she and Callie stood side by side waiting outside the locker room. The final game of the season hadn't gone as everyone had hoped, Callie knew there would be a lot of sad faces leaving the locker room, and Kara was more nervous than Callie had ever seen.

Callie simply smiled at her and shook her head, “he'll be glad you're here, and just relax. The only way you're gonna make it worse is if you force it. Let him come to you, let him talk when he wants to. Believe me, just wait it out.”

Kara nodded, “thanks. I don't even know why I'm this nervous, but I seriously feel like the energizer bunny is bouncing around on my nerves.”

“I know. I'd be worried if you didn't feel like that.” Callie told her with a pointed look that made Kara raise her eyebrow, Callie simply shrugged and said, “if you feel like this now, it just shows you care. That's the best thing for him. If he knows you care, and he knows that even if he needs to go out with the team tonight and drink too much he knows he's at least coming home to someone who loves him.”

“You're good at this.”

“I've had ten years worth of practice.” Callie told her, making Kara nod and smile.

Kara turned to Callie and told her, “I want that.”

Callie turned as a few players made their way out of the locker room, her eyes fell on Brenden as he walked out, his eyes scanning the room before they landed on Kara, and the corners of his lips turned up in the smallest of smiles. Callie smiled to herself and then glanced at Kara and voiced, “something tells me you're well on your way.”

Kara turned and smiled at her, and Callie turned away as Brenden stopped in front of Kara, and she leaned up and wrapped her arms around him. It was a few seconds before they pulled apart, Brenden turned to Callie, and she offered him a gentle hug, before Kara put her hand on Callie's arm and joked gently, “don't be a stranger this summer yeah?”

Callie smiled and nodded, and before she could say anything Brenden told her, “might be a while before Jamie's done. You want a lift home?”

She shook her head, “no, I'll be okay here.”

He nodded and they bid her good night, before Callie took a seat across from the doors Brenden had come through minutes before. She knew exactly how tonight would pan out. Jamie would be at least another forty minutes, he wouldn't talk much the whole way home, and when they arrived home Callie would busy herself doing something for work, and Jamie would do his own thing upstairs, Callie never bothered to ask exactly what it is he does when he goes through the end of the season mind set.

She pulled her phone from the pocket of her sweater as it rang, she laughed gently at the picture of her and Courtney that Courtney had set on her phone and hit talk, “hey.”

“Hey. I saw the score. Figured you might like some company waiting.” Callie smiled gently at her sisters words, and let out a gentle sigh that didn't go unnoticed on the other end, “you doing okay?”

“Fine. Just tired. I don't know how I'm supposed to last another 5 months with this thing.” Callie muttered, smiling gently at the second wave of players that left the locker room.

Courtney chuckled lightly and told her, “hey, that's my baby niece in there you're mumbling about.”

“Niece huh? How do you know it's not a nephew?”

“Well I'm just saying it would be nice if it were a girl. Plus I think it would be hilarious if Jamie's first kid was a girl. He wouldn't know what to do.” Callie couldn't help but let out a laugh at that, she had to agree.

“I know. He'd probably cry if the doctor told him it was a girl. He's so dead set on a boy, at least first. You should see him Court, he actually stops when we pass the baby sections in stores, I mean we already have baby sized skates in the house.”

Courtney laughed, “watch you and Jamie will have all girls.”

Callie grimaced, “don't even joke about that, so not funny. I already told Jamie one is the limit.”

“That'll change, you'll see the way he is with this baby, and I guarantee less than a year and you'll be pregnant again.” Courtney told her, and Callie could practically see the smirk on her face.

“Jamie might actually go missing if that happens.” Callie muttered, before adding, “seriously. I mean he'll probably be able to convince me to have one more, but that's like at least 4 years down the road.”

“I'm calling it now, you're gonna have this one, and within 6 months you'll be knocked up again. You're forgetting I lived with you for years while you and Jamie were dating. How you two don't already have a baseball team is beyond me.”

“Is it gang up on Callie and make her feel uncomfortable day and someone forgot to tell me?” Callie asked, making her sister laugh.

“Oh, so the actual real reason I called you.”

Callie smiled, “I knew there was another reason.”

“What, I can't call to keep you company and see how my brother in law is?” Courtney asked, not giving Callie any time to respond before she told her, “not to be a total mood downer or anything, but Christy and I were going through the garage at the house the other day and we found some stuff we thought you might like. So it should get there in a couple days.”

Callie didn't say anything in response right away, she knew what was in the garage, it was stuff she purposely left in their rightful boxes in the garage when she left Victoria. When she glanced up she watched Jamie walk out of the locker room, he found her immediately and Callie simply said, “I gotta go, Jamie's out. I'll call you tomorrow.”

She didn't wait for a response before she put her phone back in her pocket and got up, meeting him in the middle of the room. She didn't say anything, she simply slid her hand into his, giving it a squeeze, as they walked side by side out of the arena. There were no words spoken the entire drive home, Jamie waited for her before they proceeded to the door, Callie slipped out of her shoes as did he, and they stood at the bottom of the stairs for a few seconds.

Finally Jamie told her, “I'm gonna shower and what not.”

Callie didn't question him, he did the same thing at the end of each season when it was not quite how he planned for it to end. She simply nodded and said, “I'm just gonna finish up some work stuff. Just come get me when you're done. When you're ready.”

Jamie nodded, and leaned down to kiss her quickly before Callie watched him make his way upstairs and into the bedroom. She turned the kettle on when she went into the kitchen, pulling a mug and a tea bag down and setting them on the counter before she grabbed a pencil and her stack of papers, and started a rough draft of May's schedule for work.

She glanced at the clock half an hour later, her mug empty, she set it in the sink and put her papers away, making her way up the stairs. She stopped outside their closed bedroom door, she could hear Jamie moving around, and she debated going in, but instead she walked past their door and the door down the hall. She knocked gently on Kelly's door and opened it, immediately covering her eyes.

“Oh my god!” Slipped out of her mouth, and she heard Kelly let out a small scream, before she turned around and said, “I'm just gonna leave.”

“Watch out for the-”

Callie muttered to herself as she walked into the door frame before pulling the door closed behind her and walking down the hall. Jamie opened the bedroom door and watched as Callie shook her head and walked past him down the stairs. He followed her, and it wasn't until they were in the kitchen that she said, “I think I'm gonna throw up.”

“Should I even ask what that was about?” Jamie asked her curiously, watching as she shook her head again.

“I just... Kelly and your brother.” Was all she could manage to get out as Jordie and Kelly both awkwardly made their way downstairs.

Jamie turned and raised his eyebrow at them, Kelly's face was the color of Jordie's t-shirt, which Jamie noted was on backwards, Jordie scratched the back of his neck and said awkwardly, “do we have to have a conversation about this because this is really uncomfortable.”

Callie turned to him and shook her head again, “I just saw way more of you than I ever wanted to.”

“Well if it helps that was more of me than I wanted anyone considered family to see.” Jordie said, attempting to break the awkwardness in the room with a joke.

Callie simply narrowed her eyes at him before she turned to Kelly, “new rule in the house. If anyone is having sex in a room, put a fucking sock on the door. I will never unsee that.”

“So conversation over, we never have to revisit this?” Kelly asked, making Callie nod before she turned around and left the kitchen.

Jamie let out a small chuckle, and froze when Callie called out, “I heard that Jamie!”

“I still don't know how she does that.” He said, looking at Kelly, who glanced at Jordie, who was looking at her.

The two of them at the same time said, “witch craft.”

Jamie shook his head in amusement and told them as he was making his way out of the kitchen, “you two belong together.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Updaaaaates yaaaay
Also, sequel because the next chapter is the last one:
One Mississippi Two Mississippi