Remedy

Can I Go Now; Jennifer Love Hewitt

Jamie sighed as Callie sat down on the bed, crossing her legs. She had been in a crummy mood all day, he had taken notice, they both knew why. She raised her eyebrow at his sigh, to which he resisted an eye roll and said, “don't do that.”

“Do what?”

This time he did roll his eyes and pointed at her, “sit there and watch me pack.”

“Since when am I not allowed to keep you company?” Callie asked, watching him as if he had three heads.

“Not when I know you're sad that I'm leaving.” He told her, making Callie roll her eyes.

“Yeah, so what if I am? It's natural. Am I not supposed to miss you when you're gone?” Callie asked him, waiting patiently as he tossed a pair of jeans into his bag.

“I didn't say that. It just makes it harder on me, because then I feel bad for leaving. It's my job Cal.” Jamie said, sighing again.

Callie narrowed her brown eyes at him, “I know that Jamie. What the hell is your problem today?”

Jamie dropped a shirt in his bag and looked at her from the other side of the bed, “me?” He asked incredulously, “what's my problem? You, you're my problem today. I need to go and focus on winning these games not worrying about you.”

Normally Callie would say her usual speech to calm him down and tell him she loved him when he got like this before a road trip, but she had spent the past two weeks like a chicken with her head cut off between work, Stars games and wedding planning, she was stressed and Jamie knew it. Instead of tending to his ego she rolled her eyes and got up off the bed before saying harshly, “I'm sorry that sometimes yeah I hate when you leave, it's natural. Don't take your frustrations from hockey out on me.” Jamie rolled his eyes and went back to packing his stuff, Callie simply stated, “and don't ever roll your eyes at me either.”

“What the hell do you want from me?” Jamie finally stopped packing his suitcase and turned away from it and toward Callie, taking a step forward. Before Callie could say anything back Jamie continued, “what? Do you want me to quit my job, stay home all the time? What?”

“Don't. Don't you dare do that Jamie. Don't act like I've never supported you because I always have.” Callie gritted her teeth together after she said this and watched Jamie's face for any emotion, but it was void of it as it usually was on the rare occasion that they ever fought.

“Can we not do this now? I need to leave soon.” Was all Jamie said to her, he moved past her into the bathroom, grabbing his stuff before he shoved them in his bag.

Callie kept her narrowed eyes on him and said, “well why don't you tell me when it's convenient to have this conversation for you Jamie. I mean I don't have a life right, so whenever you're not busy is fine.”

“Yeah, that works for me. I'll let you know.” Jamie said angrily, zipping up his suitcase.

“You're being such an asshole today, you know that right?” Callie asked as he grabbed his phone from the dresser. Jamie rolled his eyes and mumbled something under his breath causing Callie to ask, “what?” When he didn't answer she rolled her eyes, “tell me what you said.”

When Jamie looked up at her Callie knew what he was going to say was going to be less than nice, and she was right. His voice raised slightly, though not as loud as either of them had been earlier as he said, “sometimes it's like I swear to god you think I'm off screwing every girl that looks my way when I'm on the road.”

“Well sometimes I do!” Callie spit back at him. Her hand flew to her mouth the second the words came out, and she was struggling not to let tears fall. Jamie simply looked away from her, shaking his head lightly. Callie watched as he grabbed his suitcase from the bed and she said softly, almost desperately, “Jamie.”

He didn't look at her, instead he said, “I need to go, I'm gonna be late.”

She followed him out to the hallway and watched him walk down the stairs, shoving his feet into his shoes. Jordie stared at the floor awkwardly, and headed out the door the minute his younger brother snapped at him, “lets go.”

Callie jumped slightly as he slammed the door behind him, that was when her anger came back. She stomped down the stairs and into the kitchen, Kelly stayed where she was sitting at the island counter, eating cereal, to scared to move.

“Who the hell does he think he is?” Callie muttered to herself as she paced the kitchen angrily, “I mean really, I don't support him? He's fucking kidding right?”

Callie pushed her hands through her hair, “fuck him.”

She turned, and tossed the empty mug that was on the counter onto the floor in anger, she knew it wasn't mature, but when she felt a momentary relief she yanked one of the kitchen drawers out, utensils falling to the floor. She let out a scream before she heard Kelly sneeze, and Callie froze, turning around, cheeks flushed.

“Oh... uh... I didn't see you there.” Callie said, making Kelly nod awkwardly. It was then that Callie said, “and I'm guessing you heard all that too...”

Kelly nodded slowly, “yeah... both of us.” Callie knew she was talking about Jordie, and she sighed. In an attempt to make her laugh Kelly then said, “but if it helps Jamie's probably doing the same thing to him.”

Callie smiled, but didn't laugh, she knew Kelly was trying, they were very similar in the sense that they were horrible in situations like these. Callie looked at the ground and said, “I'll uh, I'll clean that up in the morning.”

Kelly nodded and then said, “do you wanna order pizza and drink all of Jamie's beer?”

This time Callie laughed and nodded, “that sounds great. Can you order so I can go and change and... you know... fix myself so I don't look like such a mess?”

Kelly nodded and Callie disappeared upstairs, she closed the bedroom door quietly behind her, and leaned her back against the dresser, and ran her hands through her hair again. She didn't bother blinking away the tears that came, instead she let them fall, wiping at her face a few times before she made her way into the bathroom to splash water on her face. She took her makeup off, it was smeared to all hell now anyway, she pulled her hair back into a messy bun and changed into sweat pants and an old Kelowna shirt she had stolen from Jamie in high school. She sat down on the edge of the bed, and forced herself not to cry again when she glanced at the picture on the nightstand. She couldn't believe that she had said that, even if she had thought it once or twice, it was never supposed to have come out like that. She wasn't sure if Jamie would even talk to her now, and she didn't bother trying to call him, or even text him, if she had any shot at explaining herself it would be in person, and she would give Jamie his six days to focus on hockey like he needed before she would even attempt to talk to him.

By the time she got downstairs the pizza was sitting on the coffee table, Kelly had put a DVD in, and was sitting on the couch waiting, beer in hand. A second beer was waiting on the coffee table for Callie, top off and ready, she picked it up before she even sat down. Callie wrapped a blanket around herself as a knock on the door filled the silent apartment, and raised her eyebrow.

Kelly got up to get the door and said, “I figured this situation warranted another person.”

Callie wasn't sure if she was mad that Cora was there, or just embarrassed, her sisters were the last people she wanted to explain how she had fucked up to. Cora and Kent hadn't fought seriously a day in their five year relationship. Not even when they were first started dating and Kent had to decide if he wanted to be a dad at 19, Cora having had Kyle the year previous with her high school boyfriend. Courtney and Dan had dated for three years before they got married when Callie was 17, had three kids and Callie had only seem them fight once two months before their wedding over flowers. Christy and Nate had been high school sweethearts, had gotten married at 20, Callie was 10, they had their first baby on the way now. Callie was sure everyone in her family had perfect relationships, she had always thought that she and Jamie had a fairly perfect relationship too, but the last thing she needed was one of her sisters knowing about their fight, especially one like this.

Still Cora dropped onto the middle of the couch and looked at Callie with soft eyes, “you okay?”

Callie nodded, “fine.”

“Because if you aren't that's okay. I mean come on, you don't think any of us went through stuff like this?” Cora said, making Callie sigh.

“I'm fine. I just can't decide if I'm pissed off or if I feel bad for the things I said.” Callie said softly, taking a large sip of her beer.

Cora smiled at her gently and said, “that's how I know you guys will be fine. If you didn't feel bad then I'd be worried. But then again, it's also you and Jamie, so I guess I just know, because I've seen you two go from high school love to being engaged.”

Callie sighed, “yeah, well you didn't see his face. I mean Cor I basically accused him of sleeping with other girls.”

“Did you mean it?”

“No. Yes. I don't know. I mean I know he wouldn't but, then when he's gone it's hard not to think about it, especially when you hear the stories from other wives and girlfriends.” Callie said softly, sinking into Cora as her sister pulled her into her, arm wrapped around Callie's shoulder.

“I don't think Jamie would cheat on you, in fact I know he wouldn't, and deep down I think you know it too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So.... that happened... oops.
Also check out some upcoming new stuff:
Summer Nights
Mad Season