Status: Completed

Taste of Adventure

Strength

Suddenly two large talons, grab a hold of me and stop me from falling. They delicately place my on the back of a large eagle. I hold onto the feathers, still in shock that I am alive. I look around to see the others being saved by these beautiful large creatures.

I bury my head in the eagle’s feathers as my body gives out on me, the stress from all the previous events taking their toll with a lack of sleep. I am awoken to Gandalf calling Thorin’s name. I see his body, beaten and bruised on the rocks of a cliff, safely away from the orcs.

“Please put me down,” I beg the eagle softly.

Doing as I wish, I am placed next to Thorin. I place my hand on Thorin’s forehead, I wince at how cold he is. Gandalf looks at me, we both know what I need to do, what I can do.

I take a deep breath and place on hand on Thorin’s forehead and the other on his heart. I close my eyes and being whispering the elven words I taught many moons ago. I can hear Kili calling out my name, begging to see him but I have to ignore him and focus, knowing this will require all the strength I can muster.

Image


I feel as if my body is floating on air, it is as light as a feather. I am surrounded by darkness, there is nothing but silence. Then I hear my name being whispered softly, begging me to make up. I recognise the voice, my heart beat fills my ears as it flutters.

I breathe in deeply, filling every inch on my lungs which causes me to cough violently as the cold crisp air stings my sensitive lungs. I'm blinded by the bright, morning sun rays as I am brought back to reality.

I can make out Kili's voice, pleading with me to take it easy and calm down. It takes me awhile to do as I am instructed, after what felt like minutes, my breathing becomes easier and my eyes adjust to their surroundings.

I am surrounded by the gang, all with a mixture of concern and relief on there faces. Most importantly, I see Kili’s face, he has tears in his eyes. I snuggle into his hands that are on my face.

"What happened?" I ask, trying to find my voice, however all that come out are coughs.

I repeat my question, it is barely above a whisper. Shocked, Kili asks me, "You don’t remember?"

I shake my head, my body is aching, every muscle screaming at me if I move. Gandalf explains the epic battle between the dwarves and the orcs, how Thorin was almost killed. He informs me of how we escaped by the help of large eagles. I close my eyes as he explains, the events replaying over in my head.

“How is he?” I whisper, referring to Thorin.

My answer is revealed by his voice demanding, "I wish to speak with Gwen, alone."

Kili helps me to sit up before he, along with the others, leave me alone with Thorin. Pursing his lips together, he looks at me for a few moments. His skin is still pale and he has large black circles under his eyes.

"Why did you save me?” he questions, his eyes narrowing in on me.

"You practiced the healing techniques taught to you by your mother, Miss Gwen," Gandalf interrupts, causing me to jump slight, as I had not realised he is behind me. "The intensity knocked you out, I believe it is due to you only being half elf," Gandalf concludes.

Staring at me, watching my every move, Thorin questions, "But why?"

With a soft smile, I tile my head, enjoying the sun’s heat dancing along my skin. ”You are all family to me now, I would have done it for any of you," I answer honestly, "Your journey has only just begun, I could not let you stop now.”

“Your fate is to be king and reclaim Eredor,” I add.

I see the mixed emotion playing on Thorin's face, he exclaims, “You could have died.”

I cough again before I exclaim with my eyes close, calming my breathing, “I am aware. I would do it again, without a second thought.”

Nodding his head, and being one of such few words, he mumbles, "I see."

I open my eyes, seeing another emotion of his face, appreciation and tenderness. He begins to walks past me deep in thought, stopping next to me, he mumbles, "Look after my nephew, he is very found of you. In these dark times, you just keep those whom you love close. I see the love he holds for you.”

With that said, he continues to walk away from me. He informs the others we will be back on the move once I gather my strength. I smile to myself, knowing I have Thorin's blessing, it means the world to me. It is his way of thanking me, and acknowledging me as one of them.