Status: Completed

Taste of Adventure

Erebor

I take a seat down next to the other DWARVES and Bilbo, whom are watching me. I can hear Thorin and Gandalf arguing over me my presence. Bilbo introduced me to each of them, which I they reply with a friendly smile and hello. I nibble down on my bottom lip, I still awkward and very unwelcomed on Thorin’s behalf.

Taking in a deep breathe through my mouth and out of my nose, I decide to make friendly conversation. I lick my lips and turn to Bilbo, I enquire, "So you are a hobbit, correct?"

Sitting up proudly with a large smile on his lips, he exclaims, "Why yes I am. I couldn't help but over hear you saying you are half elf?"

"Yes, half elf and half dwarf," I inform him with a smile and a nob of my head.

Balin, the eldest dwarf asks curiously, "How are you half dwarf, my dear?"

"My mother is an woodland elf who fall in love with my father, Tori from the Erebor (the lonely mountain) actually,” I begin to explain, I can see the curiosity in their faces. “My mother's father didn't approve of their love so they ran away. Starting a life in the country near the mountain, we lived off the land," I explain to all of them softly.

"I knew your father," Balin tells me with a warm smile, "He was a great dwarf."

I smile sadly, looking down at my hands, "He was a great dwarf."

"Was?" Kili questions me.

Playing with a strand of my hair, I twirl it around my finger while I explain, "My father took my two older brothers to meet my uncle in Erebro. Sadly, the day they ventured, it was the day Smaug claimed the Erebro for himself."

"They never returned," I whisper, my voice breaking on each word.

I can see the sorrow and understanding on each of the dwarf's faces, I blink away the tears and look to my side to avoid eye contact with them. That's when I notice that Thorin has over heard my life story, the argument between himself and Gandalf has ceased.

Looking up at him, I declare, "Now you know why I want to support your quest, to aid you all. I have the same hatred for that beast. I want nothing more than for you to reclaim your home and to seek revenge. If you wish to have my companionship, then I'm all yours. If not then I shall take my leave."

Sending a small understanding smile my way, Thorin announces, "You are welcomed to accompany, although let it be known I cannot grantee your safety."

Smirking, I inform, "My safety is not your concern. I have advanced training with my bow and arrow, not mention skilled with a sword. The perks of being half elf and half dwarf."

Thorin eyes me, before turning and making his way back to their camp. To which all the other dwarves follow, taking the cue I follow them. As I walk beside Bilbo, Kili catches up and walks in-sync with me.

"I'm sorry about your family," he offers sincerely.

"Thank you, I'm sure you lost many loved ones as well," I reply, placing a hand on his shoulder.

I chuckle to myself as I see the blush sprinkle over his cheeks. He smiles at me, he opens his mouth in an attempt to say something however Thorin cuts him off, "Fili, Kili, gather the ponies."

"Until next time," he tells me, lifting my hand off his shoulder and placing a soft kiss upon it.

This time, it is my turn to blush as my stomach erupts in butterflies. I watch as he runs to the direction of the ponies with his brother. I can barely make out Fili teasing his bother. I'm so focused on Kili, I don't release that Thorin is in front of me causing me to bump into him.

"Oh my, I'm terribly sor-" I attempt to apologise but Thorin stops me mid sentence.

"I agreed for you to accompany us on our quest, it would be appreciated if your mind focused on that rather that other things," he demands, looking over at Kili's direction.

"I need all my brother's to be focused and not having their head turned from a young half-ling," he warns without looking back at me, making me feel two inches tall.

With that he said walks off, leaving me standing there wide eyed and in shock. I jump as Balin places a comforting hand on my upper arm.

"Don't take it personally love," he reassures me with a small smile, “Like yourself, he has lost a lot.”