Status: Completed

Taste of Adventure

Warg Scouts

"Somethings coming!" yells out one of the dwarves.

Kili, Fili and I, all look at each other worried. I quick draw my arrow, placing it in my the bow, leaving me only to aim before shooting. All dwarves go into defence mode, war cries erupting from their chest. We all run from the troll's cave, ready to fight this danger head on.

We all stand their in shock, as a small man bursts through the forest, halting to a stop. He is dressed completely in brown, his hair matted and dirty with sticks all through it. But much to my surprise, his sled is being pulled by large rabbits.

"Uh, Radagast, the brown," Gandalf welcomes in the new comer.

Licking my lips, I ignore what is going on in front of me. I bend down, picking up a hand full of grass and begin feeding the rabbit. I grin happily as the rabbit eats off my hand. Kili stands beside, watching me as I pat the rabbit and continue to feed it.

"What are they talking about?" I ask him, looking up at him while I pat the rabbit's ears.

Chuckling, Kili informs me, "Radagast cannot seem to remember."

Standing up and brushing myself off, I reply amused, "He cannot recall?”

Looking towards Radagast, I smile as he tries desperately to remember why he is searching for Gandalf. I take in his appearance more, studying him. By looking at him, you can see how he is very in touch with nature. I rack my brain trying to figure out why his name rings a bell. Then it hits me, it's like Gandalf being Gandalf, the grey. Meaning this peculiar man standing before me, is a wizard as well.

I start to gag as he claims it's on the tip of his tongue, then reports it is not as Gandalf pulls a stick insect out of his mouth. Kili and Fili both raise their eyebrows looking at me as I squish my face up. I continue to watch this exchange between Gandalf and Radagast.

We all take a seat as Gandalf and Radagast wish to continue their conversation in private. I have the brothers sitting on the right side of me, whispering to one another, while every now and then Kili will blush and hit his brother playfully. On my other side I have Bilbo staring at the sword Gandalf gave him, I can sense something is wrong.

"You okay Bilbo?" I ask him concerned.

Putting the sword back in it's sheath, he attempts to put on a brave face and exclaims, "Yes, just thinking about what lays a head."

Licking my lips, I push some of my hair behind my ear and confess to him," I try not too. I admit, I am nervous about what is in store for us."

“You are afraid?" he questions, somewhat shocked.

Nodding my head, I exclaim, "Who wouldn't be? This is a dangerous quest, we are all putting our life's on the line every second. But like my father said, fear keeps you alive, it keeps on you edge."

Nibbling on his lip, he agrees with me. He smiles a thank you to me. I reach into my pocket pulling out a small pouch and hand it over to him. Curiously he opens the pouch and empties the contains on his hand. He plays with the small gemstones with his fingers.

"My mother gave them to me, each gemstone represents something. The dark orange is for protection, the dark grey is for power, the amber one is protection, power and healing and the last one is called the moonstone which is for love and healing," I explain each of the stones meanings.

“They are beautiful," he mumbles.

“They are ours, they have been passed down from my mother's mother right through to me. I want you to have them, they will look after you," I inform him.

Shaking his head, he quickly puts all the gems in the pouch and hands it back to me. "I cannot possibly take them. They are yours," he proclaims.

"Don't be silly Bilbo, they are a gift. I want you to look after them, then if you still insist, you can give them back after the dwarves have claimed Erebro," I exclaim with a wink.

I look up to find Thorin watching Bilbo and I, I cannot read his face, although I swear I saw a small smile. I straighten up as the sounds of wolf howls fill my ears. Everyone climbs to their feet, also hearing the oncoming nightmare.

"Are those wolves, are there wolves here?" Bilbo asks, voicing what we are all thinking.

"Wolves? No, that's not a wolf," Bofur replies to Bilbo.

I spin around to find myself coming face to face with a large wolf like creature, I scream loudly as a wolf jumps on me. I quickly draw my sword attached on my hip and hold it out in front of me, causing the the sword to penetrate through its chest as it lands on top of me.

Gloin and Oin both lift the creature off me, while Kili shoots another arrow which hits an incoming creature before helping me to my feet. Thorin uses his sword to kill another intruder.

"Thank you," I whisper to Gloin, Oin and Kili to which the return with a nod of the head.

"Warg scouts, which means a orc pack isn't far behind," Thorin informs.