Status: Completed

Taste of Adventure

Body Heat

We are all gathered within a large cave, located in Rivendell. Gandalf managed to convince Thorin, to show Elrond, the elven king of these lands, the map. Elrond informed us, the map contains secret writing which can only be read on the same calendar day, during the same phase of the moon as when it was written. Thankfully, luck is on our side, tonight is the night.

The hairs on my arms stand up and goosebumps covering my body. With my arms crossed over my chest, I attempt to warm myself up by rubbing the top of my arms with my hands. I curse under my breath as a chill runs down my spine.

"You okay?" Kili whispers to me.

Continuing to watch the scene before me, I whisper back to him, "Yeah, it's just so cold in here."

I jump in surprise as Kili places his jacket over my shoulders. I quickly turn to him and try to return his jacket while whispering, "I cannot accept it. You will freeze yourself."

“I will be fine, I have muscles while you are just skin and bones," he whispers teasingly with a wink.

Blush spreads cross my face, temporally I forget about the cold, dark and damp cave we have been standing in for a while now. We continue to wait for the moonlight to filter through the cave, according to Elrond, the leader of the elves with in this city, tonight is the night of the half moon.

Surprising not only him, but myself when I burst out, "Well then, I hear body heat is better than any type of clothing."

This time, it is Kili's turn to blush. A large smile makes it's way to my face, as Kili places an arm around my waist. I can see out of the corner of my eye, that he too, has a large grin plastered on his face.

I cannot wipe the smile off my face as the moonlight finally allows Elrond to translate the instructions which are glowing blue on the old map. He informs Thorin, that we have to be in a certain spot in late summer and the sun will show the door.

"I love the moonlight," I whisper softly, admiring the shine glistening through the cave, as everyone makes there way out of the cave.

Still standing by my side, with his hand still tightly attached around my waist, Kili agrees with a nob of his head. Our moment, is interrupted by Fili, teasing, "Come on love birds, let's go!”

Image


I follow in tow as we sneak out of the Rivendell, the elven city without Gandolf. We climb through the mountains only to be caught in the rain, then a battle erupts as three stone giants come alive and start fighting each other.

We make our way through the narrow passage, doing what we can to survive their battle of large rocks being thrown at one another and losing stone giants falling. The power behind the enormously large giants and their battle causes damage to the mountain sides.

I place a hand on Bilbo’s shoulder as we leans against the rock wall, the shock sill evident on his pale face. I send him a smile small as he recovers from losing his footing, causing him fall off the edge and hang on the paths edge for dear life.

Thankfully with the help of everyone, including Thorin especially; his actions of jumping down on a lower ledge and helping Bilbo up. This however caused Thorin to also loose his footing in the process and almost fall to his death.

“I thought we’d lost our burglar,” Dwalin jokes as he pulls Thorin onto his feet.

“He’s been lost ever since he left home,” Thorin snarls in response to Dwaine’s comment. If that was not enough, Thorin continues to snap, “He should never have come. He has no place amongst us.”

I am speechless from Thorin’s cruel words. I look towards Kili, not knowing if I should step in, he sends me a sad smile. We follow Thorin into a large cave as he yells, “Dwalin!”

“Are you okay, Bilbo?” I whisper to him, as everyone makes their way into the cave.

Looking up at me, he lies, “I am fine.”

I sigh softly, knowing he is not being truthful with me. I decide not to bother him anymore, I am sure if he wants to talk, he will open up to me. Kili grabs my hand, encouraging me to follow him into the cave, I oblige without any question.