Status: Completed

Taste of Adventure

In The Trees

We are forced to come to a halt as the goblin king breaks through one of the wooden rope bridges. Climbing onto of the wooden bridge, he stands over us. He is even twice the size of Gandalf.

Standing before his, he taunts smugly, “You thought you could escape me?”

He attempts to hit Gandalf with his large staff, thankfully Gandalf dodges each hit.

“What are you going to do now, wizard?” the vile king teases.

Using his staff, Gandalf hits the goblin in the face. Distraught, the king holds his face, crying out in agony. Then, Gandalf slices his stomach with his sword.

Looking at him wide eyed, the global king mumbles, “That’ll do it.” Finishing him off, Gandalf cuts the vile creatures throat, killing me. The impact of the king’s dead body on the bridge causes it to give way.

“Gwen,” Kili calls out as he grabs ahold of me, holding me tightly against him.

The bridge drops, falling for hundreds of metres. The bridge manages to remain in one piece as it wedges between two large rocks before it hits the bottom, lightening the impact significantly.

“Well that could have been worse,” Bofur comments casually, whilst we all get on our feet.

Then as if faith has not had enough fun with us, it mocks us again as the large goblin kings body falls on top us. Kill took most of the brunt as he is using his body to cover mine.

“You have got to be kidding me!” Dwaine shouts out.

Panic sets in as I look over to Kili, his face is covered in fear while looking up. I follow his vision, seeing what has his concerned. “Gandalf!” Kill shouts out.

Hundreds on goblins are scaling the cave walls, heading directly towards us.

“There is too many, we cannot fight them,” Dwalin states as he helps Nori to his feet.

“Only one thing will save us, day light!” Gandalf informs, rushing us onto our feet to the exit.

Image


I slide down a tree, ignoring all that is going on around me. I can hear Gandalf counting and asking where Bilbo is. But I cannot register anything. Never in my life had I been so fearful, I truly believed I was going to die in that hell. If it was not for Gandalf, we would all be dead.

“You are as pale as the moonlight," Kili whispers, kneeling before me concerned.

I am unable to muster a response, so I just stare at him. Placing my face in his cold hands, he reassures me desperately, “You are safe, I promise."

I nod at his comment, I finally manage to form a sentence, "I was so scared.."

Resting his forehead against mine, he replies, "Me too but it's over. You are safe, that is the most important thing to me."

"You never let go of my hand," I mumble, ignoring his comment, thinking back to the escape from the goblins.

Chuckling, he exclaims, "Letting go would mean I could lose you. I would not allow for such a thing.”

Without thinking, I lean forward and place a kiss on his lips. I cannot hide my true feelings anymore. I can feel Kili smile beneath my lips before he happily kisses me back. I pull away instantly the moment those familiar howls hit my ears. Both Kili and I look at one another, our expressions echoing one another; pure fear.

“Out of the frying pan,” Thorin exclaims in disbelief. Gandalf finishes Thorin’s comment, “And into the fire, run. Run!”

We attempt to out ran them, however on foot that is impossible, also we are met with the end of a cliff; no where else to run. We are forced with no other opinion but to fight, yet Gandalf comes up with another plan.

“Up into the trees!” he yells urgently.

Fili and Kili both lift me up into the tree, I climb onto the first branch before I reach down for Fili’s hands. I help pull him up quickly, I do not look away from the two dwarves below me, even as i hear the howls becoming louder and closer. Both Fili and I, pull up Kili before we all attempt to climb as high as we can.

The wargs surround the trees, they begin jumping up and breaking off the tree branches. I withdrawal my arrows and begin shooting the wargs. I hit most of the between the eyes, killing only a very small number. I struggle aiming as the tree is shaking violently and I need to cling on for dear life.