Sequel: From Thief to Agent
Status: Just popped out of me head! Will be updating when I find the time!

The Adventure of a Thief

Legal Action

"I'm really sorry, but I can't really disclose any information about me, or my friends," I said as sincere as possible, "Well I could, just at the presence of my attorney."

The man across from me was unusually calm. "You're not getting a lawyer, Ms. Hatkins."

"Excuse me, why not? Aren't you supposed to provide me one? I mean, that is my right, isn't it?"

"It is, if this is a normal bank robbery. But this isn't a normal bank robbery, and you aren't a normal person."

I paused. That's when I let my guard down for the first time since I was arrested. I didn't like to get into other people's heads, but I must know what he did.

After a couple of seconds of digging, I realized that T.J made a mistake and didn't get the chance to shut down all the cameras. They had a video of me, performing two of my many talents.

The way I saw it, I had three options. Plan A was to play it off that I was an illusionist and could trick people into seeing things, but that could just get me into more trouble, and they had a camera, which was considered hard evidence. Plan B was to just come clean about everything, but that would put my friends and family at risk. Plan C was to just keep quiet.

I opted for plan C.

"Who are you?" I asked, after mulling all this over. "And what is this place?"

"My name is Fury, and this is S.H.I.E.L.D."

"Okay, and why don't I get a lawyer?"

"We think that we can put your talents to use, Ms. Hatkins. Yours and your friends."

"What happens if I refuse?" I asked. "As tempting as your offer sounds, it really isn't my thing."

"Then you will be a prisoner here."

"Wait, don't I get a trial?" I started, then I stopped. "This has to be against some kind of law."

"You're too dangerous to be put in a common cell. We don't even know the full extent of your power," he stopped, willing me to tell him about my dark little secret. I just shook my head. "Alright, your choice. Guards, take her down to the holding cell."

I wanted to cry, but I couldn't show these people that I am weak.

I didn't speak when they led me out. 12 hours ago, I was about to be able to cover my rent and utility bill, now I am a prisoner.

"A glass box cell?" I asked one of the guards. "Is this legal?"

"Is that your catch phrase?" he asked in was of answering, "Get in your cell."

I stepped in, and my handcuffs were taken off. The man in the next cell looked at me with curiosity.

"Behave you two," the guard said, looking at us. That's when I got the chance to look inside his head. "Jesus, she's just a kid," he was thinking. "Don't know what the captain was thinking putting her in the cell next to him."

A part of me didn't really want to know who him was, but he sure wanted to know who I was.

"Do you have a name, child?" he asked the minute the guard left us to our own devices.

From all the television I watched, I knew that I shouldn't provide anyone information about myself or the crime. But I figured my name wouldn't hurt. "Molly Hatkins. Oh, and I'm not a child," I said, finally turning towards him, "I'm 19, almost 20. What about you?"

"Old," was his response.

"Is that your name, or your general age?"

"My name is Loki."

I regarded him for a moment, "Are you from a different country. Like somewhere from Europe?"

"No, dear. I'm from a different realm."

"A realm, like a fairy-tale type of thing?" I took a step back. If I was in the loony bin, I would prefer to keep my sanity.

He looked annoyed. "You ignorant girl. Do you not know anything? I destroyed your city!"

"Oh," I said, that was on the news for awhile. It didn't really apply to me, so I forgot about it. "Now I know. Aren't you supposed to be back in your realm?"

"I escaped."

"Well, it doesn't look like you escaped for long." I took my hair down it's original ponytail and fluffed it out. "Looks like we are in the same boat. It's nice to know my new neighbor."

"And yet, I barely know anything about you. Why are you here?"

"Oh, yeah," this is where I have to tread carefully. Silence filled the room as I tried to wade through what to say and what not to say. I had a smirk on my face when I finally thought of it, "I'm not really sure. I'm just your common thief."