Sequel: From Thief to Agent
Status: Just popped out of me head! Will be updating when I find the time!

The Adventure of a Thief

Getaway

"That was too easy," I said. "Hey, what did you say your crime was?"

"Destroying New York." Loki said.

"Why did you do it?" I asked.

"Well, I don't like humans."

"Awkward," I said after a few minutes of silence.

We had been driving for about an hour. I was going slowly, trying to obey all the traffic laws that I could think of. A road sign caught my attention.

"Oh my, I think I know where we are," I said, excitedly. "My grandma had a place here a long time ago. When she died, she left it in my name."

I didn't know what kind of shape the old house would be in. It had been so long since I had been here in northern Pennsylvania. Dr. Roberts said that we would move here once our lease at the apartment was up. I was just happy because we got so lucky.

"How far?" Loki asked.

"About thirty minutes. I rather it be farther south than where we are, though. But if we get another car and you can do your illusions on people, no one will recognize us, and we could be safe."

He just nodded.

"Hey, if you hate humans so much, how come you are still with me?" I asked. I was beginning to feel uneasy about my partner in crime.

"You are a curious human being. Your power outshines mine," he said, too quickly for my liking.

I nodded, and then I finally figured out something. "You are afraid of me."

"You are far from a god, Molly," he laughed, but then he said more serious, "But if you were a god, you would probably be more powerful than Odin."

"Odin? Like Norse mythology? Gee, you sound like my friend Karl."

"Karl?" he asked me.

"Yeah, you know him?"

"No, well maybe."

"Mmmmkay, well lemme know whenever you make up your mind."

Even though our safe haven was thirty minutes away, it took about an hour to get there. We stopped in a supermarket parking lot, and we took another car. I wish that we could have left a note, but I was afraid of leaving behind finger prints. Forensics is a bitch.

When we finally got to my grandmother's old place, I was relived and saddened. As we were pulling up the long drive way I let a small "oh" escape me.

"What, what is it?"

"The lawn is just not taken care of. My grandmother would be upset," I sighed.

"Flowers? You're upset over flowers?" Loki asked me in disbelief.

"Well it isn't the flowers. It's the thought," I said while parking the car and getting out.

The house still looked in good shaped despite being abandoned for seven years. I really hoped it wasn't haunted. I wondered what my grandmother would have thought of me bringing a strange man into the house.

We walked were on the porch, and I grabbed the spare key from a porch lamp. I opened the door, and braced myself for the worst. The house felt empty, and dust particles were everywhere.

"Tadaa," I told my guest, "Our little getaway house.