Sequel: Before the Storm
Status: Complete as of 5/31/14

Chasing Cars

Tears of Joy?

Kellin came back about ten minutes later with a bag of about five tests. He set them on the kitchen counter and went into Vic's bedroom. I sighed and sat back on the couch as I waited for something else to happen. Kellin walked out a few minutes later and told me to take the tests to Vic who was in the bathroom.

"Shouldn't it be you he's with when he takes the test?" I questioned Kellin as I grabbed the bag from the counter.

"I know, but Vic wants you to be there." Kellin answered but before he could sit down I grabbed his arm and dragged him to the bathroom with me.

"Vic, we have the tests." I told my friend who was sitting on the bathroom floor.

Vic grabbed the bag from me with shaky hands and took a deep breath before standing up with Kellin's help. I stepped out into the hall and waited for a few minutes until Kellin pulled me in. I stumbled a bit and then the silence that took over the bathroom was enough to make me wanna punch them.

"Well?" I asked them.

"Positive." Vic whispered, voice shaking as more tears leaked out of his eyes.

"I don't know what to tell you guys. You wanted this not even a week ago and now you're acting like you're going to die tomorrow." I told them as I leaned against the closed door and watched Vic as he slowly crumbled into pieces while Kellin stood there like a statue. "You two need to talk about this and about your future. So you're not coming out of here until you do so." I walked out of the bathroom and closed the door behind me.

Jack walked down the hall with Ben sleeping in his arms and I smiled as he took him into the bedroom and then he walked back out and I dragged him into my room. We sat down on my bed and I sighed.

"What happened? Is Vic-?" Jack began asking but I cut him off by nodding.

"Yeah, but they're scared now unlike last week when they were planning of buying a house and buying baby things. They thought they were ready, but they are not." I told Jack and looked at him tiredly.

"Well you weren't ready when you found out you were having Ben." Jack pointed out.

"I know." I smiled and closed the distance between us to connect our lips, tangling my fingers into his brown hair.

Jack placed his hands on my hips and gave them a soft squeeze before we pulled away and I cuddled into him waiting to hear the bathroom door open. I could hear Vic's soft sobbing and Kellin doing most of the talking. Eventually the door did opened and both Kellin and Vic walked into my room and sat down next to us on the bed. We sat in silence, letting Vic finish his hiccuping and sniffling.

"I'm happy." Vic finally said and I turned to look at him with a confused look on my face. "I know I told you that I was scared and all this other shit, but I'm actually very excited for this baby." Vic concluded while rubbing his stomach.

"You guys literally confuse me every time." I sighed. "Anyways, so what's your plan?"

"We're going to start looking at apartments as soon as possible and move in together." Kellin spoke.

"That's great guys." I smiled and patted Vic's back.

After awhile Vic and Kellin left to go look at some places around the area. Vic really wants to stay in the same building we live at now, but Kellin's not too happy about that idea. As Jack and I were making dinner, Ben ran in happily and attached himself to Jack's legs.

"Hey bud." Jack chuckled as he ruffled Ben's hair.

"Hi!" Ben giggled and I just smiled.

The front door opened and Vic walked in with Kellin behind. Ben ran over to them and Vic was about to pick him up, but Kellin beat him to it. I smiled and shook my head as we finished cooking.

"So how'd it go?" I asked them.

"We found two around here. One in the same building just in the first floor and the other is a bit closer to the college." Kellin answered.

"That's great, but Vic, did you like them?" I asked Vic as he sat down at the table.

"I did, but I'd prefer the one here. It's hard for me to be away from you guys." Vic said as he looked up at me.

"Bud, I hope you know that Ben and I won't be here forever. Someday we're going to move into a house and all." I reasoned.

"I know but, in the meantime we can still be close right?" Vic pouted, giving me his puppy dog look.

"Whatever." I sighed.

Dinner passed and eventually both Jack and Kellin left for the night since tomorrow was Monday and we all had school tomorrow. Well maybe not Vic. He's looking too pale since this morning. I carried Ben as I walked into Vic's room where he was laying in bed looking at the ceiling.

"Hey, are you okay?" I asked Vic while shifting Ben a bit in my arms.

"Yeah, just tired. It's been a long day." Vic smiled at me.

"Alright, if you need anything, come wake me up. Night."

"Night, Lex." Vic said and I walked out, closing the door behind me.

The next morning Ben and I were ready to leave when Vic walks out of his room still in his pjs and hair all over the place. Ben giggled and held my hand as we headed back into the kitchen where Vic was.

"You feeling alright?" I asked Vic as I brushed Ben's hair one last time.

"Just a little sick, so I'm staying home today." Vic answered.

"Alright, call us if you need anything." I told Vic before telling Ben that it was time to go.

"Bye Uncle Vic!" Ben waved.

"Bye kiddo."

We reached the school in ten minutes and Jack was waiting for us happily. Ben ran over to Jack and hugged him while I laughed and slowly made my way over to them. Jack greeted me with a peck on the lips and I smiled.

"Hello love." Jack greeted me.

"Hey." I smiled and Ben took my hand again as he smiled up at Jack.

"How's Vic doing?" Jack asked.

"Getting there. I'm not comfortable with leaving him at home alone." I replied while looking down at Ben who suddenly became interested on the pictures hung up on the walls.

"You worry too much babe."

"I know." I sighed. "I gotta go or I'll be late. Benji, I'm leaving kiddo."

"Bye daddy, I love you." Ben said as he walked up to me and made kissy sounds. I chuckled and knelt down to his level, letting him kiss my cheeks a few times.

"I love you too baby. Be good to Mr.Barakat, yeah?" I told Ben who nodded and I kissed his forehead before leaving.

Instead of going to school though, I drove back home where I found Vic resting on the couch with a blanket over him and the TV on. Vic's attention was glued to the screen and I chuckled quietly. Vic jumped and turned to look at me, a frown on his face but then it slowly formed into a smile.

"What are you doing here?" Vic asked while sitting up.

"Came home, forgot to take my pain meds and my ribs are still killing me." I told him while sitting on the other couch.

"I figured you'd be back when I saw the pills on the bathroom counter."

"Yeah. Have you made a doctor's appointment yet?"

Vic shook his head and laid back down, eyes gluing back to the TV.

"No, I was hoping you'd still have your doctor's number?"

"Duh. I'll look for it later and give it to you."

A little after noon, I walked out of the apartment and decided to take a walk around the park. The air was chilly, but I didn't mind. I heard the leaves crunching under my feet, a few dogs barking in the distance and few people jogging. No kids, just peace. I sat down on a bench just looking around happily when I feel someone else sit down next to me. I turned my head to the side and gasped when I saw who it was.

"What the fuck do you want?" I asked, a hint of fear leaking through my voice, making him smirk.

"Alex, I know you're dating that Jack guy." Trent said casually, placing his arm behind my back and looking at the scene in front of us.

"How did you-"

"I have my ways. I just came to tell- well warn you. Break up with that guy or suffer the consequences. Your pick Alex. I'll see you around baby." Trent turned his head to look at me and then he left.

"Jerk!" I yelled after him and walked back home.

When I walked into the apartment, Vic was making himself lunch. He turned around when I closed the door and smiled at me. I smiled at him and walked over to him.

"Your mom called." Vic told me.

"And what'd she say?" I asked Vic.

"She was wondering when you and Ben would go visit her with Jack."

"How did she- You told her." I chuckled and shook my head.

"It slipped, sorry." Vic smiled softly.

"It's fine. I'll see if Jack is free this weekend so we can go see her."

Walking into my room, I sighed and ran a hand through my messy hair. How the hell did Trent find out about Jack and I. And what does he mean by consequences? Unless- No, he wouldn't take Ben away from me. Would he?