Sequel: Before the Storm
Status: Complete as of 5/31/14

Chasing Cars

Surprise Visit

"So Trent's been threatening you for awhile now? Lex, why didn't you say anything?" Jack told me later that night at the apartment after the kids had gone to bed.

"I kind of just let it slide. I mean, back when we were dating, I learned to never take anything Trent said seriously. But now I'm just scared, Jack. I don't want him to take Ben away from me. I'll die without my son." I choked out, sitting down on the couch next to Jack.

"Baby, calm down. Look, he can't take away Ben because he's not on the kid's birth certificate as his father and he hasn't been present in Ben's life until now."

"Well no, but he can take me to court and make up some fake bullshit about me being the one not letting him see my child. Jack, I know Trent very well. He's not going to stop until A) he gets what he really wants or B) takes Ben just to see me miserable." I told Jack while letting out a deep sigh and looking at Jack tiredly.

Jack gave me a sad smile before pulling me into a soft kiss. I pulled away and rested my head on his shoulder.

The next morning I walked out into the kitchen and found Jack making pancakes. I smiled and wrapped my arms around his waist from behind. Jack jumped and turned his head to look down at me,

"Morning baby." Jack smiled down at me and kissed my head before going back to his pancakes.

"Morning." I mumbled into his shirt.

"Sleep well? I felt you tossing and turning all night."

"Yeah, just nightmares." I sighed and pulled away to get a glass of orange juice.

"Alright hon."

The kids walked out a few minutes later with their hair all messy and eyes still half asleep. They each took a seat at the table and I smiled.

"Morning kids, want breakfast?" I asked them as I got the plates out.

"Yes please!" They both replied at the same time and Jack chuckled.

"Is Vic even home?" Jack suddenly asked me as he placed some pancakes on plates.

"I don't know. I don't think he is." I replied with a frown.

"Ben, I'll be back later sweetie. Be good to Vic and Kellin." I warned my son who nodded happily and I grabbed my keys before heading out of the apartment and down to the parking lot.

"Alexander Gaskarth. Long time no see!" I heard someone speak up behind me and I dropped my keys in fright. "Sorry."

I quickly picked them up and spun around to see a green haired Jenna. My eyes widened in surprise and she pulled me into a hug.

"I thought you wouldn't be here for another two weeks." I said while hugging her back.

"I wanted to surprise you. I told Kellin and Vic I'd be here today though." Jenna explained as she pulled back from the hug.

"I've missed you Jenna. Wanna go up to the apartment? See Ben and the lovebirds?" I asked her.

"Hell yeah, but weren't you heading out though?"

"Just grocery shopping. I could go later or tomorrow. No biggie." I shrugged and lead her upstairs.

I unlocked the door as Jenna told me all about her band and how excited she was for finally following her dream. I just smiled and lead us inside where all three heads snapped up in our direction.

"Jenna." Vic smiled and got up to hug her.

"Hello Vic. Been awhile. How's the pregnancy coming along?" Jenna asked the shorter boy as they pulled away.

"Great. Well except for the morning sickness." Vic replied, moving out of the way so Kellin could hug Jenna.

"Ben, come here sweetie." I told the boy who had been staring at us the whole time.

"Yes daddy?" Ben asked as he stood in front of me, staring up at Jenna.

"Sweetie, this is Jenna, an old friend of mine. Jenna, Ben." I introduced them.

"Hi Jenna." Ben waved at her nervously.

"Aunt Jenna, kiddo. I practically raised you when you were a baby." Jenna told Ben who giggled.

"Aunt Jenna." Ben laughed and then he ran off.

"Weird kid."

I shrugged and we walked into the living room where Ben was watching SpongeBob. We started chatting and catching up on what we've been doing and all. Jack arrived during dinner and I introduced him to Jenna. We all went out for dinner and had a lot of fun, but eventually we had to head back home because tomorrow was a school day.

"Well Jenna, we'll see you around." I told my friend who nodded and kissed my cheek.

"It was nice meeting you Jack." Jenna told Jack who had a sleeping Ben in his arms.

"Same here, Jenna." Jack smiled, wrapping an arm around my waist.

"Bye everyone!"

We waved at her goodbye and walked towards the cars.

That night before Jack left, we stepped out into the hallway of the apartment building and stood by the door.

"Hey, I haven't asked lately, but how's the whole Tyler situation?" I asked Jack.

"Honestly, I haven't seen anything, but I've asked both Ben and Dylan about it but they say nothing has happened." Jack told me.

"Ben told me the other day he didn't want to go back to school and I asked him why, but he didn't say. I'm worried Jack. I don't want my child growing up having a bully for the rest of his school years. They're kids now, but what's gonna happen when they get older and eventually start throwing punches?"

"Baby, calm down. Look, you know I have a sharp eye out on the boys and well I haven't seen anything. Maybe Patrick will know something. He's outside during recess more often than me. Don't worry honey, we'll get everything sorted out." Jack assured me as he rubbed my arms up and down.

"Thanks Jack." I smiled softly and pecked his lips.

"Hey so uh my friend Rian wants to meet you along with his fiance Cassadee so I suggested maybe going on a double date this weekends?" Jack asked me and I smiled before nodding.

"Sounds great. I'll leave Ben with Jenna then." I told Jack who smiled and pulled me into a kiss.

"I'll see you tomorrow morning. Night baby." Jack mumbled against my lips.

"Night Jack." I smiled and watched him leave before going back into the apartment.

"Done saying goodbye to lover boy?" Vic asked me as he stepped into the kitchen for a glass of water.

"Yeah." I smiled and sat down on a chair, resting my elbows on the table.

"Tell me the truth. Do you love him?" Vic asked as he sat down next to me.

"Honestly? I'm starting to. Like I know I shouldn't be going too fast, but I just feel like he's the one I've been searching for. Just like you and Kellin. You knew you loved him just a week after dating."

"True. And are there kids in your future?"

"Not for now. No."

"Daddy?" Ben hiccuped behind us and I turned around slightly to see him standing by the doorway with tears running down his face.

"Baby, what's wrong?" I asked worriedly and I opened my arms, seeing him run over to me quickly and throwing himself at my arms.

"Bad dream." Ben hiccuped as I sat him on my lap.

"Aww sweetie." I cooed and stroked his hair.

Vic smiled and reached out to wipe away Ben's tears.
♠ ♠ ♠
30-some schools cancelled for tomorrow, but obviously not mine because my school district hates us and they're a bunch of dicks