Sequel: Before the Storm
Status: Complete as of 5/31/14

Chasing Cars

Bad News

After Josh and Oli left that Sunday afternoon after dinner, Jack left without saying a word to me. Ben simply kept playing and waved goodbye to the guy who smiled and assured the child he'd be back to tuck him in. I just shook my head and carried on with my day, having to call Zack to bring me some mashed potatoes cause I really really wanted some and Jack wasn't around.

"Sweetie, bedtime." I told Ben as I walked into my room where he'd been in bed watching cartoons.

"But daddy, Jack said he'd tuck me in." Ben pouted.

"Honey, it's late and you have school tomorrow. Besides, the babies want to sleep too." I pouted at him.

"Okay." Ben sniffled sadly.

I felt my heart tug in my chest and I grabbed Ben's hand as I led him to his room. Ben climbed into his bed and clutched his rabbit while I pulled the blankets up to his chest and leaned down a bit to kiss his forehead.

"Sleep tight, baby." I told him as I watched him yawn.

"Night daddy." He mumbled before turning to his side and falling asleep.

I smiled and walked over to my room after closing his door. I sighed and got into bed, turning off the TV and the lights, curling up alone in bed yet again. It wasn't long before I heard Jack's footsteps walking up the stairs and I heard a door open, so I assumed it was Ben's door before he closed it again and walked in.

"You up?" He asked quietly and I turned on the light.

"Yeah, the babies keep moving." I mumbled.

The bed dipped and Jack laid down, wrapping his long arm around my waist while I grabbed his hand and laced our fingers together.

"You know I hate fighting with you, right?" I told Jack who scooted closer until his chest was pressed against my back.

"I do too baby, but I can understand where you're coming from. I mean, I would be jealous too if suddenly you started hanging out with Oli a lot more." Jack chuckled and I smiled, feeling his breath tickle the back of my neck.

"You know Ben waited up for you. He just went to bed like half an hour ago. He was really sad that you weren't here to tuck him in like you promised."

"I know, I feel really bad. He's gonna be mad at me in the morning, that's for sure because that little boy gets his temper from his daddy." Jack teased me, letting go of my hand to rub my stomach.

"Hey." I pouted. "And of course he was sad. It's always been me tucking him in and occasionally Vic, so he's a bit scared that someday you'll end up leaving us."

"I hope you know that I will never leave you guys. You two are my family now along with these little angels in here." Jack mumbled, his lips pressed against the back of my neck, making me smile.

"Daddy?" I heard Ben's voice from the doorway and Jack and I sat up to see Ben standing in the doorway with tears running down his chubby little cheeks.

"Sweetie, what's wrong?" I asked worriedly and Jack opened his arms, Ben running into them.

"B-Bad dream." He hiccuped and hid his face into Jack's chest.

"It's alright buddy." Jack assured the child and rubbed his back.

I played with Ben's hair while I sang to him lightly. Ben sniffled and turned to look at me with a small smile on his face.

When I wake up,
The dream isn't done.
I wanna see your face,
And know I made it home.
If nothing is true,
What more can I do?
I am still painting flowers for you...


I kept going for a bit until finally Ben's eyes closed again and he was deep asleep. Jack was smiling over at me and I blushed a bit, realizing he'd been staring at me the whole time. He leaned over a bit and pecked my lips, readjusting Ben in his arms until he was holding him like a newborn baby.

"I'll take him to bed now." Jack whispered and I nodded with a smile.

I waited for a few minutes before Jack came back and he quickly resumed our previous position, only this time I turned off the light and wished him a goodnight before going to sleep. Or at least attempting to because I had to get up and pee.

In the morning Jack was getting ready for work while I handed Ben his bowl of cereal. Jack walked into the kitchen and kissed my temple before making his coffee and waited for Ben to finish eating.

"We'll see you later babe." Jack smiled and kissed me softly.

"Alright." I smiled back. "Sweetie, behave in school."

"Okay daddy. Love you." Ben giggled as he kissed my cheek and I waved at him and watched them leave.

Later around lunchtime, I was folding laundry when my phone rang and I quickly answered when I saw that it was my mom.

"Hey mom, what's up?" I asked her.

"Sweetie, I need to tell you something important." She told me with a sigh.

"What is it?" I asked frightened while sitting down on my bed, Fluffy curling up into my side.

"I'd love to tell you in person, but I'm afraid your father and I are a couple of hours away so now will have to do."

"Mom, please, you're scaring me."

"Alex, your father hasn't been feeling well recently and well I took him to the doctor a few days ago and we finally got the results today."

"W-What's wrong? Everything's okay with him, right?" I was just answered by silence and I could feel my anxiety rising at her prolonged silence. "Mom."

"Alex, your dad has cancer."

"C-Cancer?" I gasped in surprise.

"Yeah and because it was detected too late, they don't think he has much time left."

"No no, that's not true. Please mom, tell me it's not true." I choked out, holding my cellphone tightly in my hand.

"I'm so sorry honey. I wish it wasn't but- Look, I gotta go. We're at the hospital right now getting more tests done on your father. I'll call you later."

"Bye." I murmured, feeling a tear trickle down my cheek.

Cancer.

Jack's POV

When Ben and I got home, the house was silent except for Fluffy's sad barks from upstairs. I felt a cold chill run up my spine as horrible scenarios crossed my head as I helped Ben get rid of his jacket.

"Buddy, why don't you watch TV for a bit while I go see where your daddy is, alright?" I told the child who nodded happily and ran into the living room.

I walked up the stairs and Fluffy greeted me at the stairs, guiding me to Alex's and I's bedroom. We stepped inside and I found Alex curled up on our bed with tears running down his cheeks. Fluffy looked up at me and whimpered. I just smiled down at the puppy and got down to his level.

"Thanks boy, go with Ben. He's in the living room." I told the puppy who ran off while I got back up and walked over to the bed. "Baby, what's wrong? Does something hurt?"

"J-Jack." He whimpered and sat up slowly, a hand placed on his stomach and my mind was set off racing again.

Were the babies hurt?

"Babe, you're scaring me here. Just tell me what's wrong." I begged him as I pulled the shaking man I love into my arms.

"My dad." He whispered, voice fading into practically nothing.

"What's wrong with him?" I questioned, even though the guy wasn't my favorite person in the world.

"Cancer." Alex choked out and started crying again.

"Shit, Lex. That's- I don't even know what to say." I told him honestly and just held him tighter, kissing the top of his head.

"I still love him no matter what he's said to me. To us. He's still my dad and it hurts me that he's going to leave us so soon. Leave me, just like my brother did." Alex told me a bit bitterly after he was calm enough to speak.

"I can't tell you I know how you feel because I really don't, but this really sucks Lex. It's your dad, and even though he's never been nice to me, this just isn't fair." I told him.

"I know." Alex whispered, still rubbing his stomach. "Where's Ben?"

"Downstairs watching TV, though it's been awhile and I don't think we should trust him alone for so long."

Alex chuckled and I smiled, kissing the top of his forehead before we both got up from the bed. I walked downstairs only to find Ben laying on the couch with Fluffy next to him. I walked over to him and leaned down to check if he was awake or not. I was meet with his green eyes staring at me and a smile formed on his lips.

"Hi." He greeted me.

"Hey kiddo." I ruffled his hair.

"Where's daddy?" Ben asked me, sitting up on the couch and startling the sleeping puppy.

"He's- Oh look, here he comes." I gestured over to Alex who was walking down the stairs.

I looked over at Alex and I couldn't help but smile. He looked amazing, he always does, but now more than ever.
♠ ♠ ♠
Uh alrighty then! Just bare with me, I'm thinking somewhere between 30 and 35 is the last chapter and then sequel plus a new story!!!