Sequel: Before the Storm
Status: Complete as of 5/31/14

Chasing Cars

Loss

A couple days later we were finally released from the hospital and I couldn't be more than glad. Ben was at Jack's parents' place while we got ready to leave this horrible place. The babies were in their car seats happily sleeping and Jack was signing some final papers before he came back into the room and took both of the babies.

"Hey." I pouted, wanting to carry one.

"Nope, sorry baby. Doctor said so, you can reopen those pretty little stitches of yours." Jack teased me as we walked out of the room.

"Fine." I huffed out and followed him out of the hospital.

The drive home was a bit quiet, until Ash started to whimper. I turned in my seat a bit and grabbed his tiny hand, getting him to be quiet right away. I grinned over at Jack who chuckled.

"He's going to be a daddy's boy." Jack told me and I nodded.

"Yep. I can feel it." I said.

Jack dropped us off at home and then he went to go get Ben after he set the car seats on the living room floor. I sat down on the couch with the babies in front of me. Angie was sleeping but Ash was moving around being fussy and whimpering every now and then. I pouted and lifted him up gently, cradling his tiny little body close to my heart and he stayed still, yawning tiredly.

"I love you so much my little babies." I smiled and looked over at Angelica who was still sound asleep. That's what I love about her, she sleeps a lot while Ash doesn't sleep much.

Jack got home around the time both babies started to cry and I sighed in relief as he walked over to help me out. He grabbed Angie while I grabbed Ash and Ben followed us into the kitchen as we prepared their bottles.

"What's that?" Ben asked curiously as he sat on a chair.

"This is milk for the babies." I told him as I sat next to him with a still screaming Asher.

"That's not milk daddy cause it gots water."

"It's special milk so the babies can grow quickly." Jack responded, already feeding Angelica.

"Oh! Did I drink that special milk too daddy?"

"Of course you did." I told him while looking down at Ash who's eyes were half closed.

Ben giggled and then he ran off happily. I shook my head and looked over at Jack who was smiling at me.

Days went by and without it went my energy. I was tired and irritated. Jack and I haven't gotten much sleep and neither has Ben since when the twins cry at night he wakes up. It's a hard task taking care of newborn twins and a hyper five year old who constantly wants our attention. Oli and Josh have been a great help though and I'm glad they're here.

Today we're heading out to go visit my parents. Ben's very excited to finally be going somewhere since in these past two weeks he's been stuck with just Jack, the babies and I.

"Babe, we gotta go." Jack told me as he walked into the twins room where I was getting Angie into her jacket.

"Alright. You can take Asher down." I told Jack while motioning over to the boy sleeping peacefully in his car seat.

"Don't take long, Ben's getting impatient." Jack spoke up and took Ash downstairs.

"Ready to go visit your grandparents sweetie?" I cooed at the little girl that started squirming and whimpering a bit. "I'll take that as a no."

I walked downstairs with the baby and the front door was already open. Jack walked in without the kids and he took Angelica from me. I just smiled at him while he leaned down a bit to kiss my forehead.

"You're so slow babe." Jack teased me.

"Guilty." I sighed making him laugh.

The drive was sort of silent and long. Asher started crying halfway there and we had to stop because he would not shut up no matter what we did.

"I hate long car trips." Jack muttered as we got out of the car.

I just rolled my eyes and let Ben run up and ring the doorbell while Jack and I got the kids out. Asher was now wide awake and looking at me as Jack carried him to the porch.

"Well look who finally showed up." My mom joked and I groaned.

"Be lucky we're here. I wanted to just go back home." I mumbled grumpily.

"Come inside boys, lunch will be ready soon."

We walked into the living room where my dad was watching tv. He smiled when we walked in and gave Ben his hug before moving over to look at the twins. Jack and I sat on the couch with Ben between us while the twins rested on the ground in their car seats.

"How are the twins?" My mom asked as she walked in and sat down next to dad.

"They've been fine. Ash gave us a scare the other night, though. He wasn't breathing right on his own so we took him to the hospital, but they said his lungs were a bit small so he'd have a bit of trouble breathing on his own for awhile." I told them while looking down at my little boy.

"Yeah they said he might have asthma when he's older." Jack concluded.

"Poor thing. And how are you doing with your new siblings, Ben?" My dad asked.

"Okay. They're cry babies though." Ben pouted and crossed his arms across his chest while we just laughed at him.

"You're such a cutie!" I told Ben while pulling him into me and hugging him tight while placing a kiss to his head.

"Daddy, stop!" He giggled. "Jack, help!"

Jack chuckled and pulled Ben away from me and onto his lap, shielding the boy from me.

"You guys are such a great family and I'm really sorry I gave you such a hard time in the beginning boys." My dad spoke up and I looked over at him with a smile.

"Don't worry about it dad. That's in the past now." I told him.

Lunch went well. The babies woke up for a bit, but my mom helped me change their diapers and feed them, so by the time we went back home they were both sound asleep. Ben was starting to fall asleep as well, but when we reached our home he sprung back to life.

"Can I go to Dylan's house?" Ben asked as we stepped inside the cool house and away from the intense summer heat.

"How about I take you guys to the park?" Jack offered.

"Yeah! Please daddy?" Ben hopped up and down excitedly.

"Alright, but don't give Jack a hard time and please behave." I warned the child.

"Okay daddy! Love you!" He yelled as he ran outside.

"I'll be back soon babe." Jack told me as he leaned forward and kissed me softly.

"I'll be waiting." I smiled at him.

Two Weeks Later

I was in the babies nursery changing Asher's diaper when I hear my cellphone ringing downstairs and Vic calling out that he got it. Asher starts squirming in my hold as I try pulling on his pants and I sigh tiredly.

"Come on baby, be nice to daddy. Please? I'll let you play with Ben's toys since he's not here." I tell him but he just keeps squirming. "Fine."

Soon footsteps are running up the stairs and Vic walks in with Angie in his arms and my phone in hand. His face looks pale and he shakily hands me my phone. I frown and take the phone while picking up Ash who quiets down.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Alex, honey." I hear my mom sniffle through the other line and I feel my heart freeze a bit as a deadly silence washes over the other line and the room I'm standing in.

"Mom?" I choke out.

"Your dad's gone Lex. He d-died this morning." My mom sobs out and I lean against the wall as my knees feel like caving underneath me.

"I-I don't... mom." I finally sob and slide down the wall until my butt touches the ground. I see Vic scramble to set the babies in their crib before he sits next to me and pulls me into his arms.

"He's gone baby." My mom cries and I let the phone drop as I sob into my best friend's arms. Vic holds me tight and rubs my back before he grabs my phone and talks to my mom for a bit before hanging up and focusing on me.

"Everything will be fine, Lexy. He's not suffering anymore. He's in a better place." Vic whispers in my ear and I just clutch his shirt tighter as it becomes harder for me to breath. My dad's finally reuniting with my brother and that brings a bit of happiness to my broke heart.
♠ ♠ ♠
One more chapter left!!! Hopefully I'll have that one up by the end of this week since it takes me time to type on my iPad and the sequel up by Thursday of next week after I finish school for the summer ^.^