Sequel: Before the Storm
Status: Complete as of 5/31/14

Chasing Cars

I Love You

~5 Years Later~

For the fifth morning in a row I was kneeling in front of the toilet puking what little food I had left in my stomach. I could hear the twins yelling at each other downstairs while Jack tried to control them and Ben was probably sitting in the living room with a frown on his face. It's been the same routine ever since the twins could finally speak full sentences.

After I was done throwing up, I stood up on shaky legs while gripping the counter and I brushed my teeth. I walked out into my room and started to get dressed for the day ahead. Jack walked in and kissed my forehead before heading to the closet as well.

"Feeling better?" Jack asked me as we both got changed.

"Not really." I told him with a sigh as I buttoned up my flannel shirt and then proceeded to pull up my black skinny jeans. "What time is my appointment?"

"At 9:20. We're taking the kids to school in a bit. Finish getting ready, babe." Jack told me and I nodded, kissing him softly before heading into the bathroom to do my hair.

Jack walked in behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist from behind, resting his chin on my shoulder. I smiled at Jack through the mirror and he grinned back, pressing light kisses along the side of my neck.

"You know you're so gorgeous? I'm the luckiest man to call you my husband." Jack mumbled into my ear, making me blush at his compliment.

"I'm lucky too. Lucky to have found such an amazing man in my life and lucky to have the perfect family with said man." I told Jack.

"Do you think there's a baby in there?" Jack suddenly asked after a few minutes of silence, the palms of his hands pressed flat against my stomach.

"Who knows, Jacky." I sighed.

~~~Later~~~

"I have the results." The doctor said as she walked into the office where Jack and I were holding hands tightly.

"And?" Jack questioned nervously.

"You guys are expecting again, but there's a problem." She sighed as she sat in front of us.

"What is it?" I asked scared.

"The baby isn't growing much. It's too small for how far along you are, Alex."

"And how far along is he?" Jack asked.

"Around ten weeks."

"And what's gonna happen now?" I asked her while looking over at Jack who's eyes were trained on my flat stomach.

"There's not much we can do unless you'd like to terminate the pregnancy right away, but we can still wait and see if the baby will grow."

I bit my bottom lip and Jack looked up at me. We communicated silently and I nodded. Jack sighed and offered me a soft reassuring smile.

"We'll wait." I answered and she nodded.

"Alright. I'll have you come in again next week and take things slow. Don't stress yourself out or anything like that."

"Thank you." I told her and we shook her hand before leaving the doctor's and heading home.

"Hey, everything's going to be fine." Jack told me, grabbing my hand as we walked inside our home.

"Yeah, we just gotta be positive." I smiled weakly at Jack and squeezed his hand tightly.

Jack pecked my lips and pulled me into his arms tightly. I gripped the back of his shirt tightly and rested my chin on his shoulder.

"Why don't you get some rest? It'll do ya some good." Jack mumbled into my hair.

"Only if you come with me." I whimpered.

"Sure babe." Jack lifted me up bridal style and carried me up to our bedroom, setting me down gently on the bed. Jack climbed in next to me and I curled up into his side.

Days passed normally with no trouble. Everything was running smoothly until one day at work I started to get cramps. Patrick walked into the room and ran over to me.

"Lex, what's wrong?" He asked me, his arm wrapping around my waist to keep me from falling.

"It hurts." I gasped out.

"Daddy?" I heard Ben's voice call from the classroom doorway.

"Ben, go get Jack!" Patrick yelled as he helped me sit down on a chair.

An hour later we were at the hospital waiting for the doctor to come tell us something. I was laying in a hospital bed half asleep when the doctor walked in looking sad. I grabbed Jack's hand and he gave me a small squeeze.

"What's wrong?" Jack spoke up.

"I'm sorry, but the baby didn't make it." The doctor told us. "It just wasn't growing right."

I looked down at my lap as tears started to fall down my cheeks and I let go of Jack's hand, wrapping my arms around my stomach. I heard quiet whispers before the door closed quietly. The bed sunk and I felt Jack's arms wrap around my shoulders, pulling me into his chest. I cried quietly as Jack held me tight and whispered sweet nothings into my ear.

"I'm going to call Vic to tell him to pick up the kids." Jack whispered awhile later.

"O-Okay." I stuttered out.

~~~Jack's POV~~~

I walked out of Alex's hospital room and towards the waiting room where I dialed Vic's number. He answered after the third ring and I cleared my throat.

"Hey Jack, what's up?" Vic spoke up.

"Can you pick up the kids from school? I'm at the hospital with Alex." I told him while sitting down on a chair and pushing my fingers through my hair.

"Sure Jack, but what happened?"

"Alex was pregnant, but he lost the baby today."

"Shit Jack. Is he okay?"

"Not really. Look, I'll call you later when we get home, I need to go check on Alex."

"Alright, I'll see you guys later then." Vic hung up and I walked back to Alex's room

When I walked in Alex was sitting up on the bed hiccuping and I felt my chest tighten at the sight of my husband looking so broken. I walked over to him and held him tight, releasing my tears that fell down onto Alex's messy blonde hair.

"We're going to be okay, baby." I whispered.

"I'm so sorry." Alex sobbed out and I just held him tighter.

"It's not your fault that this happened so don't apologize, baby." I told him as I pulled him back from our embrace and cupped his face in my hands. "Don't apologize." I whispered and kissed him softly. Alex kissed me back and then we pulled away.

"I love you Jack." Alex whispered and I smiled softly.

"I love you too baby boy, so much."
♠ ♠ ♠
And that concludes this story. First chapter of sequel will be up soon :)