Sequel: Before the Storm
Status: Complete as of 5/31/14

Chasing Cars

Welcome, Benjamin Gaskarth

"So when are you due?" Vic asked me as we packed the baby's bag.
"Supposedly in two weeks, but can be sooner." I answered him.
"You're nervous. I can tell." Vic smiled
"Of course I am, but I'm more excited to meet him." I smiled while rubbing my huge bump.
"Any names?"
"Well I really really like Benjamin, but I don't know."
"I like it."
"Hey hey." Came Kellin's voice as he walked in with a smile on his face.
"Hey, Kells." Both Vic and I greeted.
I walked over to the rocking chair and sat down slowly with a hand on my stomach. I'm so tired, I wish I could sleep until I give birth.
"You guys are staying over tonight, right?" I asked them.
"Of course we are. I feel like tonight's the night." Kellin spoke from his spot on the floor where he was reading a baby book.
"Don't you dare say that." I glared at him and he just laughed.

To my luck, Kellin was right and tonight was the night. I woke up around 1:09 in the morning for no reason when it happened. The pain in my stomach started out dull and almost non-existent, but then it became more and more as the minutes passed. Finally at 1:21, I woke up Vic and Kellin who helped me up from the bed.
"Um, Vic, go tell Alex's parents and then grab the bag while I take Alex downstairs." Kellin instructed, his arm around my waist.
"Alright."

Everything from then happened so quick. One minute I'm in the car on my way to the hospital and the next I'm holding my crying child in my arms for the very first time while my mom snaps pictures and tears run down her face in joy. I look down in amazement as tears too drip down my face in joy.
"Alright Mr.Gaskarth, we need to check the baby to make sure he's healthy and clean him up a bit. Then we're going to get you into a room and all settled. The anesthesia will wear off in a few hours so brace yourself for the pain." The nurse told me with a smile as she took my baby boy from my arms.
"Alright." I smiled at her while wiping away my tears.
After they wheeled me into my room, mom gave me a kiss on my forehead and I smiled at her.
"I wish I would've had a C-Section instead of pushing you out." Mom commented.
"Mom." I whined.
"Sorry honey." Mom chuckled and sat down on a chair to wait for the nurse to bring back my little angle.
The door opened and the nurse walked in with a small blue bundle in her arms. I smiled and reached my arms out and she placed the baby in my arms gently.
"Here's the birth certificate. We need you to sign it as the baby's mother and we'll also need the father to-" The nurse was interrupted by my mom.
"There's no father. My son's a single parent."
"Oh, I'm sorry."
"It's fine." I told the nurse and handed the baby to my mom while I signed my name. 'Benjamin Gaskarth. Born at 4:46 am.' I read in my head.
"Thank you very much." The nurse smiled and walked away.
I took the baby back while my mom went out to get my dad, Vic and Kellin who were still in the waiting room. The baby moved slightly in my arms, his tiny little hand popping out from the blanket and I leaned down to kiss his forehead.
"I love you baby." I whispered, watching in awe as his tiny mouth opened to yawn.
The door opened and they walked back in, my dad being the first one to see his grandson.
"You did great kid." My dad told me and ruffled my messy hair.
Vic walked forward and took the baby gently, going over to Kellin so he could see Ben. An hour later I was alone in the room trying to go back to sleep when I started to think of the future ahead of me. How everything would change now. I settled into the pillow and blankets when the door opened and my parents walked in.
"Sweetie, your dad and I gotta go to work, but Vic and Kellin offered to keep you company. We'll be back in the afternoon alright?" My mom told me.
"Alright mom." I smiled at them and after they left, I fell into a deep sleep.
I woke up two hours later and spotted Vic sitting on a chair watching TV quietly.
"Hey." I told him and he jumped, making me chuckle and apologize to him.
"Scared me. Sleep okay?" Vic asked with a hint of worry in his features. "Anything hurt?"
"Small pain, but I'm fine." I answered and the door opened, a nurse walking in with my breakfast and Kellin shortly behind her.
"Morning Mr.Gaskarth. Here's your breakfast and I will bring your son in shortly, they're just checking him again." The nurse explained.
"Why? Is something wrong?" I asked her.
"No, it was just a false alarm. We thought he couldn't breath properly on his own, so we took him in to run some tests. He's fine though, so don't worry."
"Thanks." I told her and she left. "Shouldn't you guys be in school?"
"We know, but let's face it, I'd rather be here than in that hell hole." Kellin replied as he took the other chair beside Vic.
Vic just laughed and I ate half my breakfast before the door opened the nurse walked in with Ben all bundled up in his blue blankets.
"Look who came to visit." She smiled and handed me the baby gently so we wouldn't wake him up from his slumber.
"Hi sweetie." I cooed quietly.
The nurse walked out and the guys moved closer to me to see the baby.
"I hope he looks like you and not you know who." Vic mumbles.
"Me too." I sigh.
A knock on the door made us all turn to look at our visitor in confusion. My friends should be at school. Kellin got up to open the door and frowned when Oli walked in with a some roses and a stuffed bear. I smiled and the boys stepped out to let us talk privately.
"Hey, how are you doing?" Oli asked gently as he set the things on the nightstand.
"Doing great, except for the stitches itch." I said and Oli chuckled.
"And how's the little guy?" Oli took a peek and smiled when he saw Ben wide awake and squirming around in my arms. "Hey there kiddo."
I smiled as Oli interacted with Ben. Ever since our break up, we decided to give each other a chance as friends, though my feelings for Oli are still present, I know that nothing will happen because he leaves the country in three months and I'm most likely sure I'll never see him again.
"Who told you?" I asked him while pulling Ben's falling hat down on his bald little head.
"Mike got a call from Vic before school started and I was with him so I overheard and I'm here."
"Thanks for coming. I'm out of here tomorrow if you want to go visit me there. I know hospitals aren't the best place for friendly visits." I told him.
"Yeah, I'll take you up on that offer. I'll see you tomorrow then, I just skipped my math class to come see you, but I need to get back now."
"Alright bad boy, don't get caught." I chuckled.
"No worries, mate." Oli smiled at me and then he was gone.

The next day I was strapping Ben into his car seat when Vic walks in with a smile. He took the car seat from me and I took the bags. We made our way out of the hospital and to his car.
"Happy to head home?" Vic asked as he put the car seat in the back.
"Yeah. I hate hospitals." I mumbled and got into the passenger seat, waiting for Vic to drive me home.
When we got to my place, not a car was in the driveway and I sighed in relief. I really didn't want to deal with people this early in the day. Yet again Vic carried the baby inside and set him down in the living room while I locked the front door. I walked over to Vic and motioned him to follow me upstairs to the baby's room.
"You gonna be okay here alone? I really don't want to leave you, bud, but I have an important test today." Vic told me as he leaned against the doorway.
"Vic, I'll be fine. Besides, I gotta get used to being on my own for the next month or so." I told Vic while picking up Ben who was awake.
"Alright. The guys and I will come check on you during lunch and bring you something so don't you dare cook. Got that?"
"Got it mom." I joked and rolled my eyes before looking down at Ben whose eyes were starting to close again.
"I'll see you boys later then."
I waved goodbye to Vic and walked into my room with the baby still in my arms.
"It's just you and me, bud. Our first day home. All alone." I told him a bit sadly. "We'll have fun, right?"
Ben started crying and I cringed at the high pitched sound that drummed my ears and gave me a small headache.
"I'll just take that as a no."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this is moving so quick, but the main story line isn't about this, it takes place a few years down the road so yeah