Sequel: Before the Storm
Status: Complete as of 5/31/14

Chasing Cars

First Day Problems

"Ben, time for school bud!" I yelled down the hall of the shared apartment Vic and I bought two years ago.

"Coming daddy!" Ben yelled back and he soon walked into the kitchen with his backpack and a huge smile on his chubby little face.

"Eat quickly so we're not late." I told him while setting his plate of cereal on the table.

"Morning." Came Vic's tired voice as he stepped into the kitchen.

"Mowning Uncle Vic!" Ben giggled as Vic ruffled his hair and I glared at my best friend.

"Seriously Vic? It's his first day of school, he can't go looking like a homeless kid." I whined and he rolled his eyes, pouring himself some coffee.

"Daddy, awe you going to school today?" Ben asked me, making me smile at the fact that my baby still can't pronounce his r's.

"Of course I am. And so is uncle Vic, but if he doesn't hurry up we'll all be late." I replied to the small child as he finished eating and Vic shook his head.

"Not going." Vic stated.

"Why the- Why not?"

"Kellin wants me to meet his family."

"Why today though? Why not this weekend or the next?" I questioned Vic who simply shrugged.

"It's Kellin, don't expect him to use his brain." Vic mumbled and Ben laughed.

"Daddy, can we go?" Ben insisted and I nodded, watching as he said goodbye to Vic before taking my hand and I lead him outside to my car. I helped Ben get into the backseat and strapped him in before kissing his forehead and closing the door.

The drive to Ben's school was short and filled with questions. Ben always made me believe he wasn't scared, but right now, it was clear as daylight. I just smiled and assured him that everything would be fine and that he'd love going to school. Ben seemed happy with the idea of making friends. Soon I parked in front of the school and held Ben's hand as we walked towards his classroom. A young man, maybe a few years older than me, was standing by the door smiling as parents dropped of their children.

"Good morning, buddy. What's your name?" The guy asked Ben who was hiding behind my leg while looking at the tall guy nervously.

"It's okay kiddo, he's just asking you a question." I encouraged the shy child who looked up at me with his adorable hazel colored eyes. The same shade as Trent's.

"I'm Benjamin Gaskarth, but you can call me just Ben." Ben replied with a confident smile as he stepped out from behind my leg.

"Well Just Ben, I'm Mr.Barakat, your teacher." The guy said with a charming smile that took my breath away.

"Nice to meet you Mr.Bawakat!" Ben giggled and I chuckled.

The school bell rang and I crouched down in front of the child, placing my hands on his shoulders and kissing both his cheeks. He just giggled and kissed my left cheek in return. I smiled and said, "Be good, alright baby? I'll pick you up after school, but if I don't, then your uncle Vic will."

"Okay daddy. I love you." Ben 'whispered' in my ear, a little too loud since Mr.Barakat chuckled quietly.

"I love you too, baby. Now go make new friends." I ushered him towards the classroom and he waved at me one last time before going in. I stood up and looked at Mr.Barakat who gave me that dazzling smile that made me knees feel like jello.

"So Ben's dad, may I know your name?"

"It's Alex, but if you'll excuse me, my classes start in fifteen minutes and I really don't want to be late." I excused myself while not trying to sound rude, but I was really in a hurry.

"Alright, Alex. I'll see you soon."

We said our goodbyes and headed opposite directions. I opened my car and got in, starting the drive to my college while thinking about Ben's teacher. He's just different from Trent and Oli and that one guy I dated last year. This guy actually seems real, like he cares unlike Trent who all he wanted was sex. Oli only dated me basically out of pity and that one guy from last year wanted my attention and hated Ben. I shouldn't get my hopes up though, I'm sure some like him already has a nice girl and such. I'd rather just focus on my career and Ben.

A lot changed in these last four years. Vic and Kellin finally started dating this year, Oli visits when he can and Jenna is studying in New York to become some sort of movie producer, not sure. I really miss her though.

The day dragged on slowly and by the time I was ready to go pick up Ben, I was just ready to crawl in my bed and sleep forever. I drove to the school and parked my car before heading over to the classroom, seeing Ben and Mr.Barakat chatting away. Ben's eyes caught me walking towards them and he broke into a run, arms up and I picked him up once he had reached me.

"Hi baby, how was school?" I asked while kissing his cheek and setting him down.

"It was gweat! I made lots of fwiends daddy!" Ben cheered excitedly and Mr.Barakat laughed.

"That's great, Ben." I smiled and ruffled his messy hair.

"Kiddo, go get your backpack so you can go home." Mr.Barakat told Ben who nodded and ran off.

"So Mr.Barakat-"

"Call me Jack, Mr. makes me feel old. And it seems like we're practically the same age." Jack smiled and I laughed.

"Alright Jack. How's everything? Did Ben behave okay? He's always had some issues with being sociable."

"Yeah he made friends with this little boy named Dylan. They're attached to the hip already." Jack told me and I sighed.

"Oh boy."

Ben ran back out and gripped my jacket tightly in his little palms, leaning against me tiredly. Both Jack and I smiled as Ben yawned.

"We gotta get going. We'll see you tomorrow though." I told Jack who nodded and wished us a good evening.

"Daddy, can you cawwy me?" Ben mumbled, eyes full of sleep.

"Sure kid." I smiled and bent down slightly to lift him up and placing him on my hip. "Care to tell me who this Dylan is?"

"My fwiend. He's the only one who was nice to me." Ben yawned and his breathing slowed down some.

I sighed sadly and set the kid in the backseat. Climbing up the stairs to the apartment was a hard task to do with a sleeping four year old in my arms. It took me a total of five minutes to reach the second floor and walk down the hall to the apartment. I knocked on the door hoping Vic was home. The door opened and there stood Kellin with a smirk at my misery.

"Move or take the kid from me." I snapped at him angrily and he held his hands up in surrender.

"I'll take him." Vic offered as he took Ben gently from me and carried him to his room.

"So how was school?" Kellin asked.

"Mine or Ben's?" I answered him with a question.

"Ben's."

"Great. He made one friend because apparently Dylan was the only kid being nice to Ben." I sighed as I sat down at the kitchen table with Kellin in front of me.

"Poor Ben." Kellin sighed.

Vic walked back in but with a wide awake Ben who was walking beside him and then he climbed onto my lap, wrapping his arms around my neck and snuggling into me. I wrapped my arms around his tiny body and looked up at Vic who shrugged and sat down next to Vic. I kissed the top of Ben's head and rubbed his back gently.

"You alright baby?" I asked him.

Ben nodded and then he complained about being hungry which made me roll my eyes and the other two laugh.

"Go watch TV if you don't have homework while I make you something." I told Ben and helped him off my lap.

"Can I have Mac and Cheese please?" Ben begged me.

"Sure kid."

I got up to make him dinner and Vic helped me out while Kellin kept the kid busy.

"How'd it go with the in-laws?" I asked Vic.

"It went good. His sister hates me, though. Why? I'm not sure." Vic replied with a shrug. "I don't really care."

"Wow." I laughed. "Hey um, can you pick up Ben tomorrow? I have to stay after to do some group work for my science class."

"Of course!" Vic assured me and I smiled at him in thanks.

That night as I got Ben into his pjs and was about to tuck him in, I noticed that Ben looked a little sad. He was playing around with his hands nervously and that made me frown. Worried, I sat down on his bed in front of the little boy who looked not like he did yesterday all happy and causing trouble. This Ben seemed sad and obviously not himself.

"Baby, look at me." I cooed gently while lifting his chin up with my index finger, his eyes filled with tears and I swear I could feel my heart breaking. "Sweetie, did something happen at school?"

Ben stayed silent and that was enough for me to panic.

"Benjamin, tell me what happened. Please baby?" I begged him, sitting closer to him.

"The kids don't like me, daddy. They make fun of me because I wead slow." Ben pouted, a tear rolling down his cheek.

"Sweetie, we've talked about this. You're still learning how to read, so what if you're a bit slower than everybody else. Everyone's different."

"But daddy, they don't like me!" Ben cried while hitting his bed in frustration and more tears ran down his face.

"Baby, calm down okay? Look sweetie, I know how it feels when you think that your own classmates don't like you, but give them time. They just met you and you just met them. Don't be scared, besides, you have Dylan right?" I joked and he nodded, a smile on his face. "Alright, you okay now?" Ben simply nodded but I could still see the sadness in him. I smiled softly and kissed his forehead. "Time for bed champ."

"Okay, night daddy." Ben yawned and curled up under his blankets, clutching his stuffed bear to his chest.

I kissed his forehead one last time before walking out of the room and heading into mine. I just hope that this situation with Ben doesn't get worse. I really hope not.
♠ ♠ ♠
I promise this was the last time skip, for awhile at least. This is where the story line starts picking up :)