Sequel: Before the Storm
Status: Complete as of 5/31/14

Chasing Cars

...To Friends...

The next two weeks have been one of the best. Jack and I have gotten closer and hang out almost every day. Ben really likes it that I'm friends with his teacher. He thinks its cool.

"Jack!" Ben yelled happily when Jack stepped in through the front door with Vic and Kellin.

"Hey kiddo. Hi Lex." Jack greeted as he walked into the living room.

"Hey Jack." I smiled and continued playing Candy Land with Ben who was currently beating me.

"I win!" Ben yelled and the others laughed as I sat there pouting. Great, I lost to a four year old on a childish game.

"Gees, Lex, I know you're not great at games, but this is ridiculous." Kellin joked as him and the others sat on the couches.

"Hilarious, Quinn." I mumbled and stood up. "Why don't you play with Jack, yeah kiddo? Daddy's tired."

"Okay." Ben smiled and turned to look at Jack who nodded and took my spot as I sat down on the couch.

"Are you taking Ben trick-or-treating?" Vic asked me.

"Yeah. Him and Dylan." I answered while pulling out my phone from my back pocket and setting it down next to me. "And how's the project coming along?"

"Not sure, but I'm tired of trying." Vic said and glared at Kellin who turned a bit red.

"Well don't try everyday, Kellin. I'm pretty sure you've done it enough times so I'd suggest you guys wait it out a bit. If in a month or so Vic doesn't show any symptoms then go try again." I told them while shaking my head and laughing at them.

"Sorry babe." Kellin told Vic who just curled up into his side.

We spent the afternoon taking turns playing with Ben who eventually fell asleep on my lap.

"Well. I gotta head home now. School tomorrow." Jack told us as he stood up.

"Alright, we'll see you tomorrow Jack." I told him as I stood up with Ben in my arms.

"I'm gonna get going as well. Baby, I'll see you tomorrow." Kellin kissed Vic before following Jack out the door.

"I'm gonna head to bed. Night Vic."

"Night, Lex." Vic and I walked into separate rooms and I set Ben down on his bed, but his arms stayed lock on my neck and wouldn't let go. "Sweetie, I know you're awake so let daddy go, please?"

"No." Ben giggled and held onto me tighter.

"You little monkey. You want something, so spill kiddo." I said and tried getting him off of me but to no avail.

"Can I sleep with you?" He giggled and I smiled.

"Alright. Grab Mr.Rabbit and lets go."

Ben reached over with one arm to grab his rabbit and then he cuddled into me again. I kissed his head and walked into my room, setting Ben down so I could go into the bathroom to get ready for bed. When I walked back into my room, Ben was curled up under the covers with his rabbit clutched to his chest.

"Daddy?" Ben asked quietly.

"Yes sweetie?" I climbed in next to Ben and he moved closer to me.

"Awe you gonna marry Jack?" Ben asked and my eyes widened, looking down only to see him looking up at me with curious eyes.

"No, why do you ask that kiddo?"

"Because Jack told me he liked you and then Uncle Vic told me that you like Jack."

"You're silly, now go to sleep." I told him, quickly changing the topic.

"Okay." Ben giggled and closed his eyes.

The next morning we were running late. Ben kept stalling so he wouldn't go to school and then I got tired of his games and just picked him up and dragged him to the car.

"Daddy, I no want to go!" Ben cried.

"Why not Benjamin? Look, you're going to be late and I'm going to be late and besides, there's no one to watch you today." I scolded him as I drove to the school.

"Yeah huh! Zach don't have school today." Ben argued.

"He does too have school. Look, we're here so come on." I dragged Ben out of the car and carried him to where Jack was almost heading inside since the bell had rung two minutes ago.

"Sorry we're late, but Ben's being difficult this morning." I panted as I set the four year old down and held his hand so he wouldn't run off.

"It's fine, Dylan just got here like ten seconds ago." Jack said.

"I gotta go. I'm going to be late as well and my teacher won't let me inside the room if I'm late." I explained while handing Ben's hand over to Jack.

"Alright." Jack chuckled.

"Bye baby!" I waved at Ben who just frowned and looked away.

I shook my head and walked to my car quickly getting in and driving off to school. As I was driving down a busy street, I got distracting by the car next to me because Trent turned his head to look at me and smirked. I gasped and then it happened. I crashed but I didn't have time to register pain since I blacked out right away.

~~//Vic's POV//~~

It was during second period when I realized Alex wasn't here. Something was telling me that something was wrong with Alex, but I tried shaking away that feeling. Suddenly the classroom door opened and there stood the school counselor who told me to go over to her. I grabbed my things and quickly ran up to her.

"Yes?"

"Vic, they called us from the hospital saying that Alex is hospitalized." She spoke up, taking her glasses off.

"What happened? W-Why didn't they call me?" I asked her.

"They did, but your phone's off or something so they called the school and I came to tell you. He had a car accident on his way over, but it's nothing too bad. Just slight concussion and a few bruises."

"Um, can I go see him now?"

"Yes I already excused you from your classes."

"Thank you so much." I ran off to find Kellin at the library and I found him talking to his friend Jesse Lawson. "Kellin, I need the car keys."

"Hello to you too baby. And what do you need them for?" Kellin asked.

"Alex got in a car accident and I need to go get him at the hospital." I explained calmly.

"Alright. So is he fine or what?"

"The counselor said he was but I wont believe her until I see him."

"Yeah, most kids don't believe the counselor. She lies all the time." Jesse spoke up and I glared at him. "Sorry, dude."

After Kellin gave me his keys, I went to the hospital and raced into Alex's room where he was sitting on the bed looking at the wall blankly.

"Lex?" I whispered and he jumped. "Sorry. How are you feeling?"

"Sore. They gave me some pills before you got here and they're making me numb right now."

"That's good. So how'd it happen?" I asked him as I sat down on the chair next to his bed.

"Trent happened. I saw him while I was driving and he distracted me and that's all I remember." Alex spoke, looking at me with frightened eyes.

"Trent." I growled. "And when can you leave?"

"In an hour, they just want to make sure I don't have an allergic reaction to the medication."

"Alright."

An hour later I was helping Alex to Kellin's car drove him to the apartment.

"Will you get Ben after school?" Alex asked me as I helped him to his bed.

"Yeah don't worry, bud. Just get some rest." I told him gently and he nodded before closing his eyes and I left the room.

It was time to go get Ben and Kellin from school and Alex was still sleeping so I just drove to get Kellin and then Ben.

"How's Alex?" Kellin asked me as we switched sides and I took the passengers seat.

"He's slept the day away. The doctor told me his prescription was strong to numb the pain from his fractured ribs." I explained.

"Poor Alex."

Once at the school, I went to get Ben while Kellin waited in the car.

"Hi Uncle Vic!" Ben yelled and I picked him up.

"Hi kiddo, ready to go home?" I asked him.

Ben nodded and Jack walked over to us. We greeted each other and he asked where Alex was.

"He's at home sick. Um, Ben, go find Kellin, he's in the car." I set Ben down and watched him go to the car.

"Vic, what really happened?" Jack asked me worriedly.

"He got into a car accident on his way to his school. He's fine and at home, but he fractured two ribs though and in a lot of pain."

"I'll go see him later." Jack said and I nodded before walking over to the car.

"We should go on a double date this weekend." Kellin suggested. "With Lexy and Jacky."

"If he's better though." I reminded Kellin who nodded. "Besides, I don't think Alex will enjoy having a double date with us as part of his first real date with Jack."

"Hey, I'll talk to Jack and ask him what he thinks about this and then we'll see."

I just rolled my eyes and said nothing else. Kellin can have some weird and dumb ideas at times.
♠ ♠ ♠
So since I didn't have school today, I wrote a lot. And since I won't have school tomorrow, I'll write, a lot more