Status: under construction

Mercury Sells

Three: Present

“Don't you think it’s strange that this is only my second appearance in Mercury Peaks?” Don asks her grandmother as she slowly tugs on her arm. “Don’t you think this place would miss some Donna Lee?”

“Consider yourself no longer a Mercury Peaks virgin,” Grandma Lora laughs while wrapping a hand around her granddaughter’s shoulder. “Besides, you did not missed much here. Hey Babette! How’s that husband of yours doing?”

A woman in her late fifties stops on the sidewalk from a trip to the grocery store, smiling at Lora. A few feet away, she makes her way towards Lora and Don. Her hands are filled with brown bags, food peaking out from the tops.

“Hey darling. Marcus is doing fine. Just suffering from a strain throat from all that singing he’s been doing. Other than that, he’s just peachy. Hey, sale at Ralph’s. Two for one on his tomatoes. Lor, who’s this?” Babette shows off a crooked smile towards Don.

“Babette, this is my granddaughter Don Lee. Don, this is Babette. She lives up the street from your father’s.”

“And you let me babble about those tomatoes all this time when we have a beaut member of Mercury Peaks! Oh, how are you Don Lee? Who is your father?” Babette smiles the same toothy grin.

“Vincent Lee. Do you know him?” Don asks.

“Why yes. I have known him since he was in high school.” Babette turns to Lora. “He turned out good huh?”

“Wait until you see him drunk and loaded – that’s a nice turn to handle,” Lora jokes. “Vinnie is at the coffee shop, ordering doughnuts and a fresh cup from my request.”

Babette lets out a horse-like laugh and squeezes Lora and Don’s shoulders. “Well, I should get these to my Marcus. Would not want him to starve. See you later sugar. Nice meeting you Don.”

Lora leads Don towards the end of the street, lightly humming under her breath. Don looks behind her back and shakes her head.

“Is this how you all act? Feels like a never ending sitcom. Doesn’t this get a bit repetitive? Almost boring if you ask me.”

Lora laughs at what she thought was a joke. “I suppose we should start clubbing and spilling drinks all over our dresses for attention. While we’re at it, we should give a call to our governor and tell him how we really feel about our town rules. Heck, let’s start turn this town into girls gone wild.”

“Doesn’t that sound more fun than this hole called home? Live won’t you.”

“I suppose so.” Her grandmother pressed a thought. “But, tell me Don, what does that do?”

“Create experience.”

“Taking chances are you? Why does every teenager live on the flesh of entertainment and risks. Tell me Don, as a teenager, how does that make you feel?” Lora’s tone is hinted with tease, yet her eyes was firmly solid.

“Now you’re just mocking me.”

- - -


“Where’s that mother of yours? Don’t tell me she’s off in Arizona.” Grandma Lora stares blankly as Don shrugs. “The least she could have done was follow your father and help. I mean,” she starts to raise her voice, “She’s living in that house too!”

“She had a little business to do before she’s making her way here,” Don says softly.

Grandma Lora raises an eyebrow. “Did your father tell you that?”

“Let’s change the subject.”

“Consider it done,” Grandma Lora agrees, taking in a small breath. “Tell me about more this Leon character. How did you guys meet?”

Don feels her face lift up. She starts to play with her fingernails, dipping her head. Her grandmother stares at her for a response. Widening her eyes, Don says, “Dad told you right? At his father’s bakery.”

Watching her grandma smirk, Don exhales loudly. “You do that as if it’s in your nature.”

“Do tell me the real reason how you two met?” Her grandmother giggles. “Because that bakery story will only be bought by a dumbass, and I am not a dumbass.”

Eagerly, Don smiles and says, “I met him at the bakery, yeah, but I’ve been seeing him here since September.” She starts to whisper. “I’ve been seeing him secretively.”

“You badass!”

“Mom knows about the meetups.”

“And your father?”

“He’ll hate it. He hates him. Dad hates Leon.” Don sighs, “He doesn’t even know him.”

Grandma Lora starts to laugh at her granddaughter, lightly pushing her shoulders. She keenly stares around town. “Leon is lovely. I have not seen him in a while, however, I still believe his attitude is still in top shape.”

Don stares blankly, as her lips start to quiver. “What do you mean you haven’t seen him in a while? He’s not here?” Don pauses, frowning at the thought of Leon’s absence.

“Didn’t you hear, darling?”

“Hear what? I just got here! I haven’t seen Leon since March. We met about four times. Hear what grandma?! What happened to him?”

“He’s on house arrest.”

Don stiffens, letting out a small choke-like noise and shook her head. Her grandmother continues to speak, quietly tapping her fingers against arm. “See, this is what happens when people bend and crack the rules.”

“What happened to him, grandma?” Don furrows her eyebrows, feeling her skin redden.

Grandma Lora takes a step back and sighs. She grabs her granddaughter’s hand and squeezes it lightly. “His sister committed suicide in August.”

Don hands start to form a fist, and her eyes begin to tear. She starts to walk farther away from her grandmother, leaving behind the weight she is currently holding. Don hears her grandmother’s cries for her to stop. She’s yelling for her to return, to come back. Instead, Don shakes the thoughts of concern and worry and replaces it with regret and betrayal.
♠ ♠ ♠
note: next chapter will include a flashback of Leon and Don's first time meeting together so don't get confused c: