No Thank You

Too Early

“How long will you be in town for?”

Alexandra casually mentioned as he picked her up from work in her own car for the 4th day in a row. They had both brought his sister to the airport earlier that week and had enjoyed a few days together, after he had picked her up from the office. They had slept together in her bed and had gotten their fair share of sex, too. At times it felt like they hadn’t missed a beat since their split, but others, they appeared on different planets altogether.

“Trying to get rid of me already?”

Scott responded with a smile and squeezed her thigh at the same time, making known that he was joking. She loved these small moments between them. No mention had gone to Sidney Crosby this whole time and she felt like they were now in a good spot.

“No. You just didn’t tell me if this was just a long weekend visit for you or if you’d expected to stay longer. If you’re planning on staying longer, I might consider shutting my office for a while.”

Scott drove in silence for a while until they hit a red light. She wasn’t stupid, she could see that he was not his usual self. She was a psychiatrist for Gods’ sake, she knew when someone was evasive. But she played his game. She knew that he was usually a straight-forward man, so if he held back in a private moment like this, he had his reasons.

“I just don’t know yet, could be for a few days or a while longer. I have to be at my parents’ place in just under two weeks the latest for their anniversary….something I hope you will accompany me to?”

Alex happened to love his parents and couldn’t wait to meet them again after this long time. But the way he asked uncovered insecurities that were deeper than the insecurity of their current relationship status. Yet again, she decided to let it go.

“Of course I’d love to come with, I love your parents. What do you want to do for dinner, I could cook up that chicken and beans,…”

“No, I have already reserved a table somewhere, I don’t want you to cook after a long day babe. You don’t need to change, you look perfect as is.”

He interrupted her, yet again grabbing her leg as he was speaking, staring through the windscreen as he was driving. Yet again a very unlikely move for him. But she kept it quiet, just smiled and gave him a nod in response.

It took him another 10 minutes before he turned and stopped in front of one of Pittsburgh’s more classy restaurants, a valet immediately jumping to attention and grabbing the keys off him as he waited for Alex to round the car. Feeling very underdressed, she pulled her cardigan closer around her shoulders, looking ta the brightly lit front door.

“You said I didn’t need to dress up Scott, this does not look like a place I-“

she started to say, but he swiftly kissed her and pulled her close in the process, before sending a rather amazing smile her way.

“You look absolutely perfect Alexandra. I would take you here wearing tracksuit pants and a hoodie and still think you’re the most beautiful woman in the entire place. Just…shut up and go with it.”

He kissed her crimson cheek and ushered them through the door, coming to a stop at the little table, which held the list of people having booked.

“Hartnell.”

He simply said as the middle aged man near the entrance looked up at them, definitely sizing up Alex’s clothes. She was making a mental note of reprimanding Scott for this stunt as soon as they were sitting at their table. Much to her surprise, they were shown to a private room, the ceiling-to-floor windows showing her the expanse of her city in the evening glow. Her heart took a few extra beats as she walked towards the glass, ignoring the candle-lit table comptletely.

“Wow, this is…gorgeous! Did I miss something? Is it my birthday?”

Alex turned around to see him standing not far off, one hand in the pockets of his black slacks and the other raised to his mouth, apparently nibbling on his nails. She had never seen the man this nervous. And this, in turn, made her nervous.

As he looked up and noticed her inquisitive stare, he cleared his throat and took the few steps to close the distance. Placing his large hands gently onto her hips, he gazed down at her with a soft smile and a glint in his eyes.

“You know that I love you A., right?”

His embrace was so warm and comforting, she just smiled and hummed in response. His scent surrounded her and she almost didn’t read the determination in his eyes, as he dropped to the floor. To one knee.

“Oh my God Scott…”

Everything made sense now: him being nervous, the dinner invite, the secluded room…

“You had me at my knees the moment I met you Alexandra. You made me grovel for you damn number so hard after we met, my entire team was laughing at me. You were never the perfect hockey player girlfriend, you always did things your way and I fucking loved you for it. I know you probably think this is crazy after we haven’t been together for so long….but I don’t want you to slip away again! I have loved you since you fucked up cooking me your version of a very miserable lasagna. Whatever happened in the recent past…is the past. I love you. I have known for years, and I know you love me.”

He paused, pulling a small box out of his pocket. The one, that his hand had been buried in since they had arrived. She was slapping herself that she hadn’t seen this coming! But she was non the wiser as to what she should be responding to the question he hadn’t officially asked her yet.

“I would have made a big deal out of this but I wasn’t sure how you’d respond, so I decided to go low-key and spare me the embarrassment should you say no.”

He saw her confused and thoughtful expression, hoping that he was not too far off going out like this.

“Alexandra Kavanagh, would you please agree to become my wife? Marry me? Make me the happiest man in this godforsaken city you call home?”

He opened the small box and revealed the most gorgeous, antique diamond ring she had ever seen. It was a simple enough band but, she knew that it was his granny’s. She had admired it years ago on a summer visit to Canada.

None of this was computing with her. She knew she loved him, but marriage? They had been together for years before the break. Scott had said that anything in the past was forgotten…but could she forget?

“Are you asking me to move back to Philadelphia?”

Was about the only thing she was able to mutter, the man she had learnt to adore so many years ago. She would not be on e of those WAGs. She had her own life. If she agreed to marry him, she would have to make major changes n her work and private life. Again.

“I would love for you to move back to your home, to move in with me. But I know that you have your work here. At least for now. Believe it or not A. , I’ve thought about this. Who knows how long this engagement lasts, right? A few months, a year or more? As long as I know you want to be mine, I don’t care. We’ll make it work. Once we get married though, I will have to insist though that we’re together, there is only so much a man like me can endure.”

Alex had to giggle, squeezing his hand. His options sounded more manageable than she had expected.

“Yes.”

“I mean, if you need more time to think about this, I could totally delay my training to convince you to-“

“Scott, I said yes! I will marry you! Just give me time and I am sure I will be able to finish up here at some stage and try open a practice in Philly and…-“

He lunged up from the floor and pressed his lips to hers, engulfing her into a bone crushing hug, proving that he had expected her to say no.
A few moments later, he dropped back to his knee dramatically.

“I’m sorry. I…wow! Uhm…so you said yes. Here.”

He lifted the ring off its cushion and slowly slid it onto her finger. Seeing the stupid smile on his face made her tear up, the stupid thing fitting perfectly. Of course! She hated to admit it, but it looked amazing on her hand.

“I love you, too, Scott.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I am sorry for being away so long! Work has been killing me! But I am now back in the swing of things! This is not the end!