Status: ~*HALTED FOR NOW*~ Sorry guys :(

Forest of Madness

Chapter 9

Sarah stares out the car window. It's that time yet again. Time to make the trip and spend a few weeks with her gram. The old woman is dying. As much as she hates to admit that, Sarah has to face the facts. The cancer has won. Sarah sighs and turns the knob on the radio only receiving static in response. There's never any radio service on this long trip. But she would take that every day over the chance of running into April when they arrive. They had broken up months ago, but Sarah still misses her. She regrets ever leaving.

"You ok sweetie?" Her mom's cheery voice breaks through the storm brewing in her mind. She turns and smiles at the woman who her looks mirror. Wild red hair escapes from the clip stuck sloppily in the mass in an attempt to keep it out of her face. Jade green eyes sparkle behind her round sunglasses. As much as Lillian denied it, she was one of the most beautiful women in all of Orange County. She even took title as Ms. Virginia, as much as she objected to the whole idea of entering a pageant. Sarah is not as pretty as her mom, nor as positive about life, but her mother never lets her feel down on herself. As much as she loves and trusts her mother, she can never tell her about her summer affair.

"I'm fine Mom. Just worried about Gram." Her mother pats her hand and stares out at the road ahead. In the back seat her little brother whine in his sleep. Sarah watches him for a bit before returning back to the battle with the static. At the corners of her mind, she can feel something tugging and pulling at her. It feels like it's trying desperately to get her attention.

After a few more hours, their car pulls up to the old wooden house half hidden by the massive oak trees. She unlocks the van door and slides it open. She picks up Jeff's sleeping form and cradles him while grabbing his Spider-Man action figure. He slowly wakes up and smiles at her. Sarah nuzzles his soft nose and holds him closer. She's very protective over Jeff. His autism is getting worse as he gets older. At the age of seven he still has the mindset of a toddler. He suddenly clings to her and digs his tiny nails into her shoulder.

"Don't go into the Forest!" He wails with tears streaming down his freckled face. "She will take you. You will die.. She's a big meanie liar."

"What are you talking about?" Sarah holds him back to look in his eyes

"I saw it!" He squirms in her arms.

"You just had a bad dream. Come on. Let's go inside and I'll make some chocolate milk for us." Jeff nods and sniffles looking around forest cautiously.

Half past midnight Sarah jerks awake to the sound of something tapping on her window. A voice calls out from the shadows. The words are to muffled to make out clearly. Sarah gets up and peers out. A hooded figure rocks on the porch swing. Sarah sighs and grabs her jacket going outside.

"Can I help you?" She keeps her distance from the strange figure.

"Maybe. I can help you though." The girl's voice stirs memories of summer. "You want to see April again, correct?" Sarah nods cautiously. "Follow me then." The girl stands and glides off the porch.

"Why should I trust you?" The girl turns and a cruel grin flashes on her half hidden face.

"I'm just trying to make the world a better place. Stay here if you will, I'm going to April." She turns back and continues on her path into the forest. Sarah sighs and follows after tucking the kitchen knife sitting on the porch into her boot. After an hour of walking, the girl stops.

"Where's April?" The girl laughs a cruel, ice filled laugh and slowly removes her hood. "You! I shouldn't have come. You lying bitch." The girl turns and faces Sarah and grabs her by the throat. A strange burning sensation races through her body. Slowly her thoughts begin to slip away like water down a drain. Darkness, anger, and hate replace them.

"Find her in my forest and kill her." The girl lets go. "She is a pain the ass and a wall keeping my plan from continuing. She is the barrier keeping the madness from taking over the world. Watch for her guardian." She turns and walks to the giant oak and presses her palm to it. Soon after, she disappears.

"Yes Mistress." Sarah stands and follows her. At the edge of the forest, a young boy's scream fills the air followed by a whimper.

"I told you not to go.."