Big City Hearbreak

1/1

I moved for the big city for fame, not more drama.

When I first moved to the big city, I had my hopes up to become a successful actress. I had no idea how difficult it actually was to get work in New York. Rather than being successful, I became a struggling actress in the business. All I seemed to be getting were roles as extras; I couldn’t even get into a commercial unless a company endorsed my face. Since most commercial ads use a celebrity as a propaganda technique, plain folks like myself couldn’t get in without being well known.

One day, deciding I had enough of trying to make it in the world, I decided that God could make the choice. Wanting to take a risk in general, not just in my acting career, I developed a plan that most would think as odd. On my way to each audition, I would give God the chance to tell me it was time to stop. My plan was to not look at the crosswalks each day I went to audition. Knowing that the streets of New York were rather busy, I knew that this plan might result with my death, but I figured I would either be a minute too late or a minute too early.

The first day I went through with this plan, I made it across the crosswalk. I figured I just got lucky and there was no way I would be able to get the role I auditioned for. Boy, was I wrong! I went in, presented myself with confidence, and read through my lines with conviction. The director recognized that and I got a call the next week to come back and be a part of the movie. This was my big break!

Getting my first gig was great, but that didn’t stop me from thinking God was wrong in giving me this break. Each day I went to rehearsals, I walked through the crosswalks of New York, without stopping to glance at them. God had given me pretty good timing throughout these rehearsals. I grew more confident in my ability as an actress and more confident in my timing with crosswalks.

When we got into filming, my plan started to turn on me. I kept walking through the crosswalks without looking, but the cars were still coming. The first few weeks of filming, I managed to keep walking through the no walking zone, having the cars zip past me as I stood in between each set. Even though I wanted to end my plan, I knew that I couldn’t end the plan that I devised without ending my role in the movie.

God must have thought I broke the contract by not walking through without stopping in the road for cars. The last two weeks of filming were coming soon and I was getting lucky with the crosswalks again. Before I knew it, the last day of filming was there and I was running late. I had to run through all of the crosswalks, rather than walk at a steady pace. Running didn’t work out so well, since I didn’t have time to avoid cars if they came. That day, I was a minute too late or too early because a car hit me. I heard the crunch on the pavement as my face hit the ground.

I had to have total face reconstruction done on my face, to the point where I didn’t look like the actress they had during filming. The director decided it would be unfair to stop the movie, so instead he put things together for my character to die in the film. I was happy to be in the film still, but disappointed I had let some of my fellow actors down.

My plan had ceased to exist as I went to the next audition I could get. I told them of my acting history, but they looked at me funny. When I asked them what was wrong, they gave me devastating news. “Ma’am, you cannot use your prior experience. I’m afraid, since you no longer look as you did in the film, you’ll have to start from scratch.”

I cried at the news, knowing that I was out of luck and back to the drawing board. I had to start over from the bottom. The role I had gotten was my one in a million chance and I knew that I would never get that chance again.

I moved to the big city for fame, but I should have only expected more drama.