Status: This story is Active, Please Show Love

The Forgotten Ones

Who I really Am

I tucked Esmeralda into bed; it was a long day for us both. Mostly because the airport lost our luggage on the way back from our honeymoon, so she got stressed out. She hates to lose things. It makes her frown, causes headaches, and eventually makes her very sleepy. It’s been seven months but the fog is still bearing its consequences on her mind. Headquarters says that they had to give her an extra strong dose of the stuff since she seems to have memories of her mother. Something that shouldn't be possible, I mean headquarters is being kind; most people have the memories physically removed from their brains. Something that had once been huge surgery, but it had been perfected fifty years ago. The gas suppressant is a powerful but gentler process on the brain. Clouding the mind and keeping all pesky reminders deep under wraps. Of course, as a side effect, the human brain forces itself to fill in the blanks creating all this stories to take the places of the holes in the memory. An opportunity Fear uses to plant stories themselves, like this tale of my romance with Esmeralda.

As far as she knows, we have been together for three years, going on four, to fill in the gap of why her minds finds that date important. The real reason, that’s the last day she saw her mother. We met at a park while she was on a picnic with her best friend, Fear agent Katie De Leon. Katie pointed me out said I was cute and push Esmeralda into me. She literally fell on me and we have been together since. I eventually landed the job at the store she works at, according to her memory it is because she got me the job. My experience got me the position of manager and we celebrated by going out dancing that night. The real reason is Pete got transferred out to our LA office, the position he had been applying for like six years. They placed me over Esmeralda case, and I have been here ever since.

I twist my wedding band, wondering if this mission is just a bit over the top for one girl. She doesn’t seem to pose any threat to Fear at all as far as I have gathered. Besides her strange ability to fight the fog at times, this girl shakes like a leaf when the winds blow too hard. She will never possess the courage to come up against us, even if she could remember. But it isn’t my job to underestimate her, just to make sure she doesn’t get out of control like her mom did. It’s just so sad, the path her mother choose to take with her life. Her mother was the very top Fear agent; she was almost royalty due to the fact that her great-grandfather was a founding member of the organization. It’s such a shame that she fell in love with an outspoken citizen and eventually she told him everything there was to know down the line of their marriage. The necessary measures were then taken. She was wiped from everyone’s members expect high level officers like me and then she was killed. Esmeralda was about to search for a mother, who never really existed in this world, only in her fragile broken mind. In a weird way, Fear spared her further grief.

I got up from the bed and head to the kitchen, quietly so I don’t wake ‘Merald. Not that I should be that worried, she doesn’t wake up for much of anything really. She is known to sleep through her alarm all the time. I roll my eyes at the thought as I enter into the kitchen. I lift a tile from the floor by the stove and peek under it. This is where I hid her mother’s picture and the letter that her father wrote to her.

Unlike Esmeralda, when he found out about Fear he wanted to join up. He said the pain of this bland life was too much for him. Though he didn’t really remember why, no matter how he tried. A wife was just something he knew he must have once had. The only reason he knew that was because his daughter was living proof that he once had loved. Usually Fear would remove the child from the living parent but because of whom her mother was they let her be. She was older anyway, twenty when her mother vanished, so I wasn’t like he had to see her all the time. That spared both of them the further loss of family. Until of course, he decided to leave. He should have known better than to leave Esmeralda a letter though. It’s against protocol when leaving your life behind to leave a single trace. Not that that was ever a concern for me, my whole family works for Fear.

I pick up the two objects from the under tile, then carefully put in back in its place. I take them with me to the back porch, where the fresh fall air fills my lungs and calms me. I reach into my pocket and pull out a match book. I light a match and do what I should have done months ago, when I first gained entrance to this house. I watch as the flame burns the remaining memories of Esmeralda’s parents and I feel an ice spread over my heart. Fear has no room for emotions; we have a job to do.

“Baby?” I hear her sleepy voice call from the bedroom.

I kick the ashes and put a smile on my face so she will hear it in my voice.

“Sorry baby, I got a bit hungry. I am heading back to bed right now.” I slide close the porch door.

“Okay,” she mumbles and yawns.
♠ ♠ ♠